Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batteries...recommendations?

Old 09-24-2011, 09:56 AM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Batteries...recommendations?

My battery crapped out on my 09 SG. I ran the same battery in my softail for almost 10 years so i don't know why this one crapped out after only 3...luck of the draw I guess.
So I'm looking for recommendations for and against different battery brands. I can go with a drag specialties high outbut for about $135, or an oddesey or big boar for closer to $150 - $200. Need all your input and recommendations please.

Old 09-24-2011, 09:59 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I have found that the harley batteries are good as any....mostly they last 3-4 years and occasionally up to 10 years....about the same as the rest of them...

Old 09-24-2011, 11:12 AM
1HarleyGuy1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2005 EGC and finally, after 6 years of use I had to replace the battery. I never took it out of the bike during the winter. In the early spring I would take it out and just put it on a battery tender. It finally wouldn't hold a charge so now I'm on my second. I wouldn't hesitate to stay with the HD batteries.

1HarleyGuy1

Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 AM
JoeFriday77
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

O'reilly has a East Penn (same manufacturer as HD) battery that I used. Haven't been through the first year with it though.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:12 PM
river rat
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Deka. The same company that makes harley batteries

Old 09-24-2011, 03:19 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

3yrs?
I thought mine died too but my heat Demons somehow shorted to ground and drained my battery to like 4 volts. I bought a new hd battery and on a whim asked the service manager to test my old one and charge it. The thing came back to life in 2days.
Now I have it on trickle charger and the new one in the bike. If you were close I'd give it to you. Coming to jersey anytime soon?

Old 09-24-2011, 03:32 PM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I just got one from Batteries Plus, same manufactuer as Harley. There really aren't that many battery manufacturers out there, they just put different lables on them, but they are mostly all the same.

Old 09-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Do we all realize that so far 3 different batterie manufactures are mentioned as the same people who make harley batteries? Lol

Even if other manufactures make them under contract for Harley you will notice that it's the Harley spec that makes the battery a good one. Just compare the thickness of the case and the weight of the batteries. Harley batteries have a very thick shock proof case. I gotta stick with hd on this one.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:03 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Gliden
Do we all realize that so far 3 different batterie manufactures are mentioned as the same people who make harley batteries? Lol

Even if other manufactures make them under contract for Harley you will notice that it's the Harley spec that makes the battery a good one. Just compare the thickness of the case and the weight of the batteries. Harley batteries have a very thick shock proof case. I gotta stick with hd on this one.

Old 09-24-2011, 04:07 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HarleyGuy1
I have a 2005 EGC and finally, after 6 years of use I had to replace the battery. I never took it out of the bike during the winter. In the early spring I would take it out and just put it on a battery tender. It finally wouldn't hold a charge so now I'm on my second. I wouldn't hesitate to stay with the HD batteries.

1HarleyGuy1
6 yrs is great ! The battery tender should have stayed on all winter long, it probably would of lasted another 2 yrs at the least.

Last edited by drukanfu; 09-24-2011 at 04:10 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Batteries...recommendations?