Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black IS the fastest color!

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 10:10 AM
KylePutzier
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Black IS the fastest color!

I’ve always noticed that my black RK seems to have more power than the guys I usually ride with. This last Saturday, my buddies and I took a little ride. While I used to be the only one with a black bike, one of my buddies just picked up a new Ultra with black paint. I noticed that his new black bike had no problem keeping up with me. That got me thinking about all of the post around that say “Black is the fastest color”. I always thought that was bull. You would have to be a moron to believe that.

Just to have a little fun, I decided to test it. At the local biker watering hole, everyone likes to show off their bike by roaring away when they leave. As I was sitting there, sipping on a few cold ones, I timed the bikes from when they just took off and the moment I lost sight of them over the hill. Results are shown below.

Color ------- No. of bikes --- Average time (sec.)

Blue/Purple ------ 3 ----------- 6.4
White/Tan ------- 5 ----------- 6.25
Green -------------1 ----------- 5.82
Black ------------ 14 ----------- 5.86
Red/Orange ------ 6 ----------- 6.1
Yellow ------------ 2 ----------- 6.32

This is surprising. Black appears to be the fastest. I can’t explain the single green bike. Hell, I can’t explain a green bike at all. This black bike stuff deserves some more research. Off to Google.

I started with the paint itself. Turns out that black paint is made black primarily by the use of pure carbon (C). Other colors are created by mixing a carrier color, usually a type of zinc oxide (ZnO), and from 1 to 8 other pigments. This explains much about why black may be fastest. Colors (with all those pigments) end up being a very heavy paint that doesn’t cover very well. You need to spray it on more densely. Black covers easily, so less paint is needed. So right here you have a significant weight savings.

Black is also a very slippery color. This makes it more tolerant to wind resistance. Most people don’t realize it but diamonds are just a slippery as Teflon. Get it. Black paint is made from carbon, diamonds are made from carbon. Duh!

On to the electromagnetic properties of black paint. We see different colors by the way they absorb or reflect sunlight. Black absorbs all sunlight while colors only absorb a small fraction. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. I figure that black bikes are using the energy they absorb from the sun. Not exactly sure how, but that energy must go someplace. Probably into propulsion. Bikes of other colors USE energy. It takes energy to reflect all that sunlight. The only place to get that energy is from the bike itself, thereby slowing it down.

I’m becoming a believer. I’m sure this adds to the speed difference between colors. It can be calculated by using the following formula:

Speed =
J(C)4 * W/pi()

tan(MC2) + A2

whereas:
J = sunlight absorption in joules
W = weight of the bike and rider (add all passengers as well)
A = amount of painted surfaces in sq. inches

I’ll use my bike as an example. I’ve added a fairing and a tourpac to my RK, so it has about the same amount of painted surface as an Ultra. Using the formula above, I figure I have the equivalent gain of 12.5 horsepower over your typical Ultra. This pretty much coincides with how fast I can pull away from my buddies red Ultra.

Still not convinced. Think about this.

The fastest plane is a SR-71 Blackbird. Those engineers knew to paint it black. They even put “black” in the name.

The Black Mamba Snake is considered to be the world’s fastest snake. It’s been clocked slithering at up to 12.5 mph.

My boys like to play video games. The action is to fast for me. I asked them what game has the fastest action. You got it, Tour of Duty BLACK Ops! The games in my day were Pacman and Asteroids. Computers weren’t as fast back then and the programmers wanted to make the game action as fast as possible so they used BLACK backgrounds.

Coincidence. I think not. I am totally convinced that black IS the fastest color. Science proves it. Nature proves it.

Last edited by KylePutzier; 09-25-2011 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:15 AM
Freebee
Tourer
Thumbs up

I've always said this...Now I have the scientific research to back it up !!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:16 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously man, how much time did you spend on all this? Sitting in a bar timing departures? Geez .... no disrespect intended, but the first thing that popped in my mind reading your post was "get a life". But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Mine's black.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:23 AM
KylePutzier
Advanced

Originally Posted by CSP067
Seriously man, how much time did you spend on all this? Sitting in a bar timing departures? Geez .... no disrespect intended, but the first thing that popped in my mind reading your post was "get a life". But whatever floats your boat I guess.

Mine's black.

Clearly this is satire. I mean think about it. If I was sitting in a bar, timing departures, I would have to use one hand for the stopwatch and the other hand writing down the results. How would I hold my beer?

Old 09-25-2011, 10:32 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

I figured it out exactly the same as you did while I was sitting on the toilet (which is where I do my best thinking)..and I was going to do a post to see if anyone else came to the same conclusion...but you beat me to it...who would have thought that there would be 2 Einstein's on this forum (well,, Einstein is prolly not a good example as they have not pretty much shot down his theory of relativity)...anyway good for you on your theory although it prolly won't be long before some know-it-all proves it wrong (go figure)...

Old 09-25-2011, 10:34 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

And all this time I thought is was due to the Earth's magnetic attraction to the awesomeness of the black paint on Harley Davidson Bikes..... either that or it could be due to global warming .. or the fact that if we didn't get our collective butts home our better half's would be waiting at the door with a cast iron skillet!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM
sick1
Tourer
Received 603 Likes on 209 Posts

agreed

Old 09-25-2011, 10:35 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Finally PROOF ! ........ that is a proven fact that Black absorbs heat, therefore I agree you have the draw from the Solar energy working for you too. I don't think it's proven yet but I also believe that the effect of gravity has less effect on a ( colorless ) Black bike making them essentially lighter. Now they have discovered sub-particles smaller than split silicon pieces which creates velocity that black consists of. Thats also why racers use black headers because heat travels faster through the pipes. P.S. Schizophrenia and Alcohol don't mix, you obiously don't have your PHD in Chemistry yet.

Last edited by drukanfu; 09-25-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Old 09-25-2011, 10:36 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by KylePutzier
I’ve always noticed that my black RK seems to have more power than the guys I usually ride with. This last Saturday, my buddies and I took a little ride. While I used to be the only one with a black bike, one of my buddies just picked up a new Ultra with black paint. I noticed that his new black bike had no problem keeping up with me. That got me thinking about all of the post around that say “Black is the fastest color”. I always thought that was bull. You would have to be a moron to believe that.

Just to have a little fun, I decided to test it. At the local biker watering hole, everyone likes to show off their bike by roaring away when they leave. As I was sitting there, sipping on a few cold ones, I timed the bikes from when they just took off and the moment I lost sight of them over the hill. Results are shown below.

Color ------- No. of bikes --- Average time (sec.)

Blue/Purple ------ 3 ----------- 6.4
White/Tan ------- 5 ----------- 6.25
Green -------------1 ----------- 5.82
Black ------------ 14 ----------- 5.86
Red/Orange ------ 6 ----------- 6.1
Yellow ------------ 2 ----------- 6.32

This is surprising. Black appears to be the fastest. I can’t explain the single green bike. Hell, I can’t explain a green bike at all. This black bike stuff deserves some more research. Off to Google.

I started with the paint itself. Turns out that black paint is made black primarily by the use of pure carbon (C). Other colors are created by mixing a carrier color, usually a type of zinc oxide (ZnO), and from 1 to 8 other pigments. This explains much about why black may be fastest. Colors (with all those pigments) end up being a very heavy paint that doesn’t cover very well. You need to spray it on more densely. Black covers easily, so less paint is needed. So right here you have a significant weight savings.

Black is also a very slippery color. This makes it more tolerant to wind resistance. Most people don’t realize it but diamonds are just a slippery as Teflon. Get it. Black paint is made from carbon, diamonds are made from carbon. Duh!

On to the electromagnetic properties of black paint. We see different colors by the way they absorb or reflect sunlight. Black absorbs all sunlight while colors only absorb a small fraction. The law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed. I figure that black bikes are using the energy they absorb from the sun. Not exactly sure how, but that energy must go someplace. Probably into propulsion. Bikes of other colors USE energy. It takes energy to reflect all that sunlight. The only place to get that energy is from the bike itself, thereby slowing it down.

I’m becoming a believer. I’m sure this adds to the speed difference between colors. It can be calculated by using the following formula:

Speed =
J(C)4 * W/pi()

tan(MC2) + A2

whereas:
J = sunlight absorption in joules
W = weight of the bike and rider (add all passengers as well)
A = amount of painted surfaces in sq. inches

I’ll use my bike as an example. I’ve added a fairing and a tourpac to my RK, so it has about the same amount of painted surface as an Ultra. Using the formula above, I figure I have the equivalent gain of 12.5 horsepower over your typical Ultra. This pretty much coincides with how fast I can pull away from my buddies red Ultra.

Still not convinced. Think about this.

The fastest plane is a SR-71 Blackbird. Those engineers knew to paint it black. They even put “black” in the name.

The Black Mamba Snake is considered to be the world’s fastest snake. It’s been clocked slithering at up to 12.5 mph.

My boys like to play video games. The action is to fast for me. I asked them what game has the fastest action. You got it, Tour of Duty BLACK Ops! The games in my day were Pacman and Asteroids. Computers weren’t as fast back then and the programmers wanted to make the game action as fast as possible so they used BLACK backgrounds.

Coincidence. I think not. I am totally convinced that black IS the fastest color. Science proves it. Nature proves it.
You need to run for President !!! LOL

Old 09-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

I find your statistics simply overwhelming and at the same time amazing .... I concur whole heartedly with your findings and according to the figures you present I find it amazing that when all the Black Bikes accelerate at once the revolutions of the earth actually slowed down by more than two nano seconds! I would also suggest that during observations at your next scientific rendezvous at the local "laBARortory" you find some way to factor the effects of a freshly washed bike also, because, according to the recent "seat of the pants" testing that I personally conducted on my FLHTCU ( black, of course ) after a thorough cleaning, I am not only faster but I actually get 37% better gas mileage. Of course the 37% increase only occurs when I use wash chemicals designed specifically for Black bikes. Just though you'd like to know.

Quick Reply: Black IS the fastest color!