Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boom audio or hog tunes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 11:03 PM
xjayx
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Boom audio or hog tunes??

Im looking to change the speakers out in my street glide but ant decide on what speakers to get. Im not gonna install a amp just speakers. Ive got to down to hog tunes and the HD boom audio. Any likes or dislikes for either system? I like the boom audio because it has a separate tweeter unlike the hog tunes which uses a coaxial speaker. What should I go with??

Jay

Old 09-26-2011, 03:43 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have Hog Tunes in my '05 RG and Boom Audio in my '09 EGC, I'd have to give the edge to the Booms. It may not be a fair comparison as the Hog Tunes speakers are 6 year old technology, that said, they are six years old without any issues. You really can't go wrong with either but I'd still give the edge to the Booms.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:08 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

The boom audio stuff is made by J&M. Not sayin that is bad.....but you may want to do some comparative shopping between HD and J&M before writing the check.

Old 09-26-2011, 04:23 AM
e6fmf
Road Master
Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts
Default Boom or, Hog Tunes

Just installed the Boom. Great sound, (with amp). They sound great. Tweeters loud and clear. I'd bet they would sound great without the amp. Good luck in your decision.

Old 09-26-2011, 06:12 AM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I installed the Hog Tunes Big Ultra kit with the tweeter dash pod and it sounds awesome. I listened to the Boom! Audio and the Hog Tunes Big Ultra at Sturgis this year and the Big Ultra kit sounded much better to me. That said, audio sound is a personal thing. I'd suggest trying to located bikes that have each system installed and give them a listen to see which one you like best.

Old 09-26-2011, 10:10 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,744 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Originally Posted by xjayx
Im looking to change the speakers out in my street glide but ant decide on what speakers to get. Im not gonna install a amp just speakers. Ive got to down to hog tunes and the HD boom audio. Any likes or dislikes for either system? I like the boom audio because it has a separate tweeter unlike the hog tunes which uses a coaxial speaker. What should I go with??

Jay
I put the Boom Audio Speakers, front and rear, along with the HD Bass Port Kit and notices a considerable difference in sound quality. No, it's not as clear as sitting in your car but it does sound great. That said, I'm looking for a bit more bang so I'm going with an amp install this winter. I'm not sure what amp yet.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:39 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I have the Boom speakers in my RGC and no amp. Sounds a hundred times better than stock.

Old 09-26-2011, 11:47 AM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have no experience with the Boom speakers, but I have been happy with the Hogtunes. Although I don't think you will be happy unless you also install the amp. The Hogtunes kit is not that expensive.

mikebaby

Old 09-26-2011, 01:08 PM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I went with the J&M 7.25 speakers and no amp and am very pleased. Two of my friends who also have Street Glides had gone that way before I did and were very pleased. Seperate tweeter. Installed myself. Very good instructions and a quality product. Unfortunately you'll get about as many opinions on this as you would asking which exhausts are better. Anyway check them out. Search the forum for speakers which is what I did. Enjoy your new tunes.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:37 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got Boom speakers for my 10 RGC and they definitely sound better, especially at higher volumes but they don't have quite as much bass as the stock speakers did.

Quick Reply: Boom audio or hog tunes??