Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Don't bleed your brakes

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 10:22 AM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Don't bleed your brakes

I did a fork rebuild/oil change last weekend and decided to change the brake fluid while everything was dirty and I had the garage set up for bike work.
Before starting I decided to look on line for a one man bleeder since I used my neighbors nickel over the weekend to help me put the fork springs back in my fork tubes and didn't want to bother him again.
After looking at quite a few and expensive bleeding tools I decided to see what Harbor Freight had to offer (they also had expensive tools for this). I wanted another set of their free scissors for the garage anyway.
I bought this
http://www.harborfreight.com/brake-fluid-bleeder-92924.html?utm_medium=cse&utm_source=shoppingdotco m&hft_adv=40014&mr:referralID=87904174-e915-11e0-891e-001b2166c2c0
and man did it work great. I have a mighty vac kit with the reservoir but I would have bought this instead if I had known about it. I used the 20% off coupon and got my free scissors.
I broke the factory (over) torqued bleeders on all of the calipers (front & rear) with a six point socket and ratchet so I could easily loosen them with an open end when the bleeder hose was attached. I filled the "new fluid" bottle half way with new Synthetic Valvoline DOT 3 Dot 4 brake fluid and attached the air compressor to the vacuum bottle. Then I removed the bleeder fitting from the hose and vacuumed both front and rear master cylinders and wiped out the ugly stuff with a shop rag (was as bad as the fork oil). I replaced the bleeder fitting on the hose and attached to the right caliper and loosened the bleed fitting. While holding the fill bottle upside down and lowered into the master cylinder I opened the valve on the fill bottle and allowed fluid to fill the MC. The fluid stops filling when the level reaches the tip of the fill bottle. I then pulled the trigger on the vacuum bottle and in about 20 seconds and one or two glugs on the fill bottle the fluid coming out of the caliper was clean. I closed the valve on the fill bottle, closed the bleeder screw, pulled the trigger on the vacuum bottle while I disconnected the fitting from the bleeder on the caliper and did not spill a drop of brake fluid. Repeated this on the left and did the rear the same way. Total job took 30 minutes and the brakes feel great without a single pump of the peddle or lever during the bleeding process. When I look in the sight glass on the MC I can see the bottom of the reservoirs.
The vacuum bottle is large and has a hook on each end that makes it easy to hang on the bike right where you are working. The bleeder fitting is robust and stays on tight. The hose is rubber and pliable. The fill bottle has an easy acting shut off valve and with the help of a rag wont drip on your paint. The fill bottle has adaptors for round hole master cylinders but I did not need them for the bike. I will brobably make a cap with a round hole for the front just so I don't have to hlod it and can do both sides a little easier. The fill bottle was easily held in place for the rear by the front exhaust pipe and the brake peddle. Dissadvantage is you need an air compressor or adaptor to fit your mighty vac.

This is so easy I will probably add it to my 10K mile oil change and never "bleed the brakes" again.

Ride Safe

Old 09-27-2011, 11:03 AM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool, thanks for the info on a tool that works.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:04 AM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Speed Bleeders and a short piece of vinyl tubing. It's easier.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:10 AM
98fat
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yep, best $20 you will spend.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:25 AM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Will this work with antilock brakes, also??

Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 PM
wlibert
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
+1 for Speed bleeders.

Old 09-27-2011, 02:19 PM
SportyPig
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FenderGuy53
Exactly what I was thinking...

Old 09-27-2011, 02:28 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

woo! Speed Bleeders sound like the ticket. So, what size for a 2007 Softail? They are much cheaper than a Mity Vac...or anything else I have looked at. Are there any downsides with them? Got me ready to head to Autozone!

Old 09-27-2011, 03:36 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayvis
woo! Speed Bleeders sound like the ticket. So, what size for a 2007 Softail? They are much cheaper than a Mity Vac...or anything else I have looked at. Are there any downsides with them? Got me ready to head to Autozone!
Speed bleeders are 20 bucks for the bike. buy the Harbor Freight vacume bleeder kit for 19.95 with the coupon and get a free pair of scissors to cut open all those MoCo parts bags. One of the best parts in this kit is the fill bottle you only turn up one time for the whole process per caliper.

Old 09-27-2011, 03:53 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I def need this kit, I wonder if they have that item in their retail store or if I'll need to order online?

Quick Reply: Don't bleed your brakes