Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear cylinder is not firing

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 05:15 AM
XtremeHD
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

trying to get the bike home while riding the Check Engine Light came on and stayed on until I got it home, let it sit overnight and nothing cleared then I began troubleshooting the system, plugs, wires and coil, Now the ECM or PCI is the culprit.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:17 AM
XtremeHD
Intermediate

How difficult is it to program the Power Commander?

Old 10-04-2011, 11:46 AM
Toe Knee
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

What codes is bike throwing (if any)

Old 10-04-2011, 12:36 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,615 Likes on 4,622 Posts

might I at this time suggest you get some professional help (for your bike!) this is starting to be a little over your head, (with all due respect), and it is a wise man that knows his limitations, tools are going to be needed to scan and test, in which case a shop or dealer might best serve you

Old 10-04-2011, 01:56 PM
XtremeHD
Intermediate

Oh snap it was just a question, I will figure it out, thx Charlie for all your help

Old 10-04-2011, 02:20 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

did you disconnect the power commander from the ecu? did it run the same? is there spark at the rear cylinder? is the injector receiving a signal from ecu? at this time do you have compression? these all need to be answered before you can pinpoint the issue. And even if it comes down to the ecm, how are you going to flash it? this is why I was suggesting pro help at this time because I think its an ecu but thats an expensive guess at this time. you need those answers very definitively before you pull the trigger on the ecu. I am not knocking your mechanical ability, just thinking it may be advantageous to you at this juncture in time. I wish you the best, and If anything I can answer for you, I will be happy to continue to help

Old 10-04-2011, 02:25 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

there is one other thing you can do at this time, its called a battery reset. disconnect both pos and neg batt terminals from battery, covery batt with a rag (to prevent accidental touching of cables) connect pos and neg cables together with a jumper wire for about 15 minutes, reconnect cables to battery, turn ignition on for 30 sec, then off for 30 seconds, do this 4 times then restart bike and see if any difference

Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

to answer the power commander question, you go to their web page and follow their instructions for a download by connecting power commander to computer and download proper files into commander, that is easy, but that will not change the issues with the missfire you have. that will change fuel ratio settings, how long injectors open and such, the power commander only tricks the factory ecu into providing a different fuel map resulting in a richer mixture (or leaner, I guess) to regulate air fuel ratios in the cylinder, hope that makes sense

Old 10-04-2011, 06:35 PM
XtremeHD
Intermediate

Charlie, I disconnected the PCIII and both cylinders fired and ran normal, I need to purchase a PCIII and get back on the road again, I want to thank you for your help and the other guys as well. Oh yeah Charlie I will try the battery disconnect before I purchase a new one.

HD Dave

Old 10-04-2011, 06:40 PM
jacknthebox
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Similar thing happened to me a couple weeks ago - after I checked the condition of the plugs (looked fine) I fired up the bike and the rear cylinder would not fire. With the help of the forum I pinpointed it to the fact that I must have snapped the rear plug wire so I changed them - but, after the change of wires the rear cylinder would still not fire - WHAT HAPPENED WAS THE REAR PLUG GOT FOULED SO MUCH WHILE STARTING THE BIKE TO TEST EACH POTENTIAL CAUSE THAT IT WAS USELESS SO I CHANGED IT OUT AND THE BIKE FIRED RIGHT UP.

So, maybe try changing the plug again in case it fouled in the test run process.

Let us know what finally solves the problem.

EDIT: Ooops - posted just after your last post - didn't see it. Glad to see you found the problem.

Last edited by jacknthebox; 10-04-2011 at 06:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear cylinder is not firing