Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S&S compression release cams

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 11:38 AM
scotts10rkc
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S&S compression release cams

I am looking at purchasing either the S&S 510C or 585C compression release cams in my 2010rkc with 96ci engine. Is anyone running either of these cams and what is your opinion of them. I want more low end torque for two up riding, not really concerned with more hp. Also these cams seem like a great idea so that you dont have to install the compression release valve in the heads.

Old 10-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

I asked my mech about those and he said they have a very high failure rate. Not a good idea to have moving parts like that on an internal engine component. Just parroting what he said but it makes sense.

It was a hypothetical question anyway because my 103 has compression release. I went with the S&S 510's on his recommendation. We were both pleased and impressed with the outcome. Starts up real easy.

Old 10-06-2011, 12:24 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts10rkc
I am looking at purchasing either the S&S 510C or 585C compression release cams in my 2010rkc with 96ci engine. Is anyone running either of these cams and what is your opinion of them. I want more low end torque for two up riding, not really concerned with more hp. Also these cams seem like a great idea so that you dont have to install the compression release valve in the heads.
I don't think I would recommend either in a stock compression 96". You may end up with not enough cranking pressure for the bike to start. The ECM needs to see a minimum cranking PSI in order to fire. People have had trouble with those Easy Starts in low compression applications.

Woolly - Would be curious to know your mechanics reference point for the failure. I haven't heard anything close to that. In fact, the VRod uses the same type of release from the factory. This is not new technology, it's been around for a long time (before the VRod too).

Zach

Old 10-06-2011, 01:04 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,029 Likes on 1,498 Posts

Originally Posted by scotts10rkc
Originally Posted by biggzed
I don't think I would recommend either in a stock compression 96". You may end up with not enough cranking pressure for the bike to start. The ECM needs to see a minimum cranking PSI in order to fire. People have had trouble with those Easy Starts in low compression applications.
That's the reason. I know a couple of guys with hot rod motors running the 585s and they love them; no issues. There are quite a few guys with hot rod motors running them and if there were failure issues, I think we would be hearing about them.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:07 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
That's the reason. I know a couple of guys with hot rod motors running the 585s and they love them; no issues. There are quite a few guys with hot rod motors running them and if there were failure issues, I think we would be hearing about them.
I agree. If/when I change out my build, I will use them. Great product when used in the right application in my opinion.

Zach

Old 10-06-2011, 01:28 PM
thenewrage
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told by an indy that the 585 comes on around 3500 and pulls throughout max rpm.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:38 PM
scotts10rkc
Advanced

Originally Posted by Biggzed

Woolly - Would be curious to know your mechanics reference point for the failure. I haven't heard anything close to that. In fact, the VRod uses the same type of release from the factory. This is not new technology, it's been around for a long time (before the VRod too).

Zach
So do lyou think that I could then run the 510's without the compression release. S&S also makes this cam with it.

Old 10-06-2011, 01:45 PM
pug3984
Cruiser

I have the 551 easy start cams and love them it is a very good low torque cam. Mine is a 88ci motor but I am sure it would do just as well in a 96ci.

Old 10-06-2011, 02:54 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

551 is their dresser and torque cam and what you should be looking at
Originally Posted by pug3984
I have the 551 easy start cams and love them it is a very good low torque cam. Mine is a 88ci motor but I am sure it would do just as well in a 96ci.

Old 10-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Biggzed

Zach
When I was cam shopping he said he had taken some out that had failed in under 15K miles. Didn't ask him how many. One is too many. A cam is not a part you would expect to fail. He said he has done bikes with the solid S&S 510's and they had over 100K miles on them with no failures. I know those bikes and riders he is talking about.

Of course I am sure there are dozens out there running these cams with no problems. It's not an issue for bikes with automatic compression release. Might be worth putting that in your bike if thinking about some aggressive cams. Or getting the C models and see how long they last. I would be curious to know.

Anyway, you can look him up on the web. Danny's Cycle Shop in Montgomery, TX. He's been doing aftermarket Harley work for a long time.

Quick Reply: S&S compression release cams