Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does decatting head pipe void warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2011, 06:35 PM
flashracer
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Does decatting head pipe void warranty?

I was told from someone at my dealership that removing the cat from my oem headpipe would void the factory warranty. How is this different then buying aftermarket headpipe?

Old 10-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't know for certain, but common sense tells me there's got to be big jump in the law between removing OE (the cat) and just replacing OE (the slip-on) ... not to mention then asking Harley to be complicit in the illegal removal of the cat by continuing to honor the warranty ... or some sort of legalese crap or reasoning like that ... ???

Old 10-06-2011, 08:59 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

I've read posts where dealerships were removing cat's for a fee? So what's up with that? Besides, if its done right no one will be the wiser even if the tech has to remove the header, they will remove the front and rear heat shield leaving the cat compartment intact for the piece rate time factor which is crucial if your gonna make a livable wage...they are too busy trying to get to the next job, that's why half the time they leave stupid stuff undone.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Nothing will void your warranty.

A dealer may deny a claim if you've modified your bike. You're in violation of federal law by removing the catalytic converter.

Do what you want to do, just don't expect the dealer(s) to cover your modifications under warranty.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:10 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Nothing will void your warranty.

A dealer may deny a claim if you've modified your bike. You're in violation of federal law by removing the catalytic converter.

Do what you want to do, just don't expect the dealer(s) to cover your modifications under warranty.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flashracer
I was told from someone at my dealership that removing the cat from my oem headpipe would void the factory warranty.

Was told the same thing today when looking at a 12 limited. The response was "technically you can void your warranty for just adding slip ons depending on the dealer". Got the impression that if they done the work it wouldnt be a problem but he didnt come out and say it. Id say if you removed the cat and let them dyno tune afterward there would be no problem at "that" dealer but removing a cat without a tune you might have to go pound sand.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:49 PM
Cougar1959
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know several dealers in the Dallas area that change out the stock headers with the Vanes & Hines X Pipe headers all the time. They will even do it before you take delivery of your new bike. If it is a Federal law, would the Dealers be doing this? Just asking.

Old 10-06-2011, 09:51 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

There have been instances where people have removed the cat. from the original head pipe and after doing so the O2 sensors would cross talk (the front sensor was sampling gasses comming from the rear cylander and vica versa) This will cause your bike to run like crap & it is impossible to fix unless you (1)-put a aftermarket pipe on that is designed to operate with out a cat, or (2) - Reinstall another stock head pipe with a cat, or (3)- Relocate the sensors further upstream in the modified header. This does not happen every time, but if it did on yours surely you can see why the dealer would not want to repair a problem caused by this. I bit the bullet & went for the FuelMoto 2/1/2 header pipe. Took a huge amount of heat off my right side, sounds great & runs great after Mr. Wizard did his magic on it!

Old 10-06-2011, 10:16 PM
BeeRAD56
Road Warrior
Received 355 Likes on 76 Posts

I believe that installing after market pipes could fall under the Magnuson Fergouson Act providing some level of defense against a warranty claim however, engaging that act becomes a legal battle that you may not win, especially when many after market systems are advertised for off road use only.

Making modifications to any OEM system opens the door for the MoCo or any OEM for that matter, to deny all warranty claims (see the standard warranty statement) however in reality the MoCo would be hard pressed to deny unrelated warranty issues. So if you had a chassis or electrical failure you're likely be covered, however if you have motor, clutch or transmission issue all bets are off.

I modified my 2010 SG with a reputable stage one system early in the warranty period but only after proper break and routine service (by me) and took my chances. The key for me was installing a good fuel management system to reduce AFR's and get the motor cooled down because an air cooled motor gets approximately 30% of it's cooling from fuel. The stock EPA compliant bikes run lean and hot as a result of EPA emission requirements and relatively high AFR's to meet those requirements. The "cat" it self is said to be fairly un-restrictive in terms of flow and it's purpose is to convert un-used hydrocarbons into "safe" gases and that process generates heat at the "cat".

In my opinion you need to identify your objectives and way the opportunity costs that result. If increasing sound and performance is what you are after, gutting the cat won't do much and could cause you problems in the end.

Last edited by BeeRAD56; 10-06-2011 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-06-2011, 10:22 PM
glmf
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer stated that if they installed the Reinhart slip ons before I took delivery of my 2011 EG Limited, there would be no warrranty issues. So I had them put the slipons on the bike before it left the shop. Fast forward to serious pinging issues. Dealer says that they need to contact HD to resolve the pining. HD says bike must be stock or no help. I was fuming mad and after alot of yelling dealer split a stage one with me, and did a dyno tune, after which I gutted the cat. The heat issue is huge, no cat, no heat. Anyway, the moral of the story is dealer will tell you alot of things before you buy the bike. Things may different down the road, be careful

Quick Reply: Does decatting head pipe void warranty?