Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle Fork Oil for Street Glide: Yay or Nay?

Old 09-02-2014, 10:02 PM
Little Mike
Road Master
Received 93 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I made my first fork-oil change at 21k and again at 44k. The first time I used SE Heavy (not Extra Heavy "Racing") and liked the improvement over stock, but decided to try mixing E and SE-Heavy on the second change. I think I like the mix better, although SE Heavy alone was not too stiff for my taste. Either way I get a good ride with no bottoming.
Question. I'm planning on doing a fork oil switch and this got me to thinking. Yeah, surprised me too. I had put the SE Heavy in my 04 EG and liked the results. I'm now on an 11 RGC. With the faring being frame mounted I've noticed I can feel more of the road feedback through the bars and was concerned the SE might be too heavy. So I was considering the 50/50 mix. But, if the E is 5 wt and the SE Heavy is 15 wt then wouldn't simply putting in the B oil, a 10 wt, be the same thing?

Old 09-15-2014, 10:40 PM
springerchop
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Mike
Question. I'm planning on doing a fork oil switch and this got me to thinking. Yeah, surprised me too. I had put the SE Heavy in my 04 EG and liked the results. I'm now on an 11 RGC. With the faring being frame mounted I've noticed I can feel more of the road feedback through the bars and was concerned the SE might be too heavy. So I was considering the 50/50 mix. But, if the E is 5 wt and the SE Heavy is 15 wt then wouldn't simply putting in the B oil, a 10 wt, be the same thing?
I used se heavy in ny RG but it made my front end clunky, too heavy for me. Switched to bel ray 15wt. I like the feel better. We can all use some better feel. Actually you should look more at viscosity not wt. I can't believe dudes are mixing se and type e. Why, to stay with old school HD fork oils? Hd fork oil has been unchanged for years. They don't even put the wt on the bottles. With all the new shock innovations, harley thinks one stock oil for every bike out of the dealership is good? I don't. Many dealerships change to se at the service anyway, after all, se is an upgrade, right? If you liked the response of the se heavy, keep it but change it with the tranny oil every 20 k. Btw I use Amsoil 70/140 in my hd tranny, great stuff, built from scratch for a purpose. But if you like a slightly less viscous fork oil than the se heavy, use the belray 15 wt, slightly less viscous for the mixers and belray has a much more stable viscosity at high suspension temps, more stable then se heavy which is 15 wt also if you wanna talk wts. That's the facts. Or buy a springer and screw the oil.

Last edited by springerchop; 09-15-2014 at 11:00 PM. Reason: Update
The following users liked this post:
50Kal (03-03-2016)
Old 03-03-2016, 09:01 PM
50Kal
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey drspencer, what did you wind up going with? Were you happy with it? Im changing the oil on my 11 SG this weekend. Any input/advice would be appreciated. Thanks