Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Operating Temperature

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 AM
starplee
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Operating Temperature

What is the normal engine operating temperature for a 2007 Road King Classic?

Old 10-12-2011, 04:05 AM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On the highway cruising at a set speed around 230-240 from what I have seen on my friends bike but in traffic I have seen his oil temp gauge hit 290. Thank god for synthetic oil. If you see oil temps hit 300 shut the bike off if it doesn't go into limp mode

Old 10-12-2011, 04:15 AM
starplee
1st Gear

I just switched over to a synthetic oil and was told that it would reduce the heat coming off the engine. I checked the temperature after changing the oil and it was running at 243 degrees. That doesn't seem like too much of a reduction in temperature.

Old 10-12-2011, 07:15 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Synthetic oil is not a panacia for running temperatures. It will stay stable and not break down like regular crude but that's it. Any oil company claiming their oil keeps engines cooler are making false claims. Use a good quality synthetic, put an oil cooler on it then just ride and enjoy. Toss those distracting temp monitors they are causing obsessive monitoring when you need to keep your attention on the road. These are air cooled engines and made to run in the temperature ranges observed by the OP. If engine temperatures are that big a concern then a brand with a radiator is probably what the bike choice should have been.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:22 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Starplee, “normal” engine oil temp will be peculiar to your bike as it is configured, tuned, and ridden. Your quoted temp is not too alarming, as mentioned an oil cooler will help. Understand that your temps don’t spike until you stop moving, but it only takes 2-4 minutes in stopped traffic before your CHT triggers the EITMS, Oil transfers heat a lot slower so it will take longer for your oil temp to peak, it takes a lot longer to cool back down once you start moving. It is easier to keep your bike cooler in the first place than it is to try to cool it back down after it gets hot. If you are in a hot climate or do a lot of traffic riding, a parade fan is your best bet. As an experiment I tried the synthetic to see if it lowers temps like so many have claimed, no difference in temp, but the valve train was a little quieter. I totally agree that anybody who is so single task oriented they can't safely operate their motorcycle and occasionally glance at the dash without crashing, should definitely remove the oil temp gauge; should probably also forego the radio, GPS, IPOD, Iphone, intercom, CB and all the other gauges and focus distracting gee jaws. Little known fact that fuel level hysteria is a close second for causing fatal crashes.

The following users liked this post:
angelesrk (10-03-2021)
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

double post

Last edited by fabrik8r; 10-13-2011 at 09:21 AM. Reason: double post
Old 10-12-2011, 10:39 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Any oil company claiming their oil keeps engines cooler are making false claims. Use a good quality synthetic, put an oil cooler on it then just ride and enjoy.
I've noticed oil temps going down after changing from fossil to synthetic oil on several vehicles, usually by 10° or more. Some were new changing from fossil to syn and some well-broken-in. I think the difference is the additive package, not the base-stock itself, as syn tends to have more expensive and effective anti-friction additives than cheaper fossil products.

Old 10-12-2011, 10:44 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by starplee
This depends on the source of "engine operating temperature." For oil, my '07 rarely exceeds 205° in S. LA summer riding, only very rarely hitting 230° in traffic (only once this summer). "Engine temperature" measured by the ECM on the front head runs 225-235° in summer when moving >45mph, usually not higher than 280° in traffic. I have an oil cooler, and IMO all TC engines should have one.

Old 10-12-2011, 11:02 AM
Woollymonster
Cruiser

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Toss those distracting temp monitors they are causing obsessive monitoring when you need to keep your attention on the road.
Guess I'm a little obsessed with oil temp after owning a very hot running '07 RK. On my '12 EC I replaced the useless fairing OAT gauge (always pegged at 120F) with an oil temp gauge. It is as easy to scan as the speedo or tach.

Also, after putting on the Rinehart Extreme TD's, it is difficult to check the oil level without burning your hand. So I put in the digital press to test oil level/temp dip stick. It was made Germany (at least not Chinwanese like all the other Harley parts) and it works really well. Check it at gas up.

This bike seems to run in the 220-260 range depending on conditions. Riding out of TX you can easily see OAT's ranging from 40-110F in the same day. I read have always heard that oil temps need to reach at least 212 to boil off condensation in the engine/oil. That does not seem to be a problem. About 3K on this bike so far and still running HD 360.

Keep those eyes on the road Tucci!

Woolly

Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by starplee
The normal operating temperature for a stock TC96 is about 230°F according to the manual. Your results may vary depending on conditions and setup.

Quick Reply: Engine Operating Temperature