Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jiffy Bar/kick stand question

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2011, 11:57 AM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Jiffy Bar/kick stand question

Over time... does the spring from the frame to the kick stand lose tension? Reason for asking is that I noticed this morning that my kick stand was hanging lower than normal.. very low in fact.

I tried to adjust the kick stand hoping that it would tighten up but no go. Am thinking that it would be better to replace the kick stand spring?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:25 PM
petom
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,026 Likes on 514 Posts

I've noticed the same thing on an '89 Heritage(sold), '98 Road King(current bike) and 2010 Dyna(also current). I just ignore it. Can't bounce up and ding the frame because of the rubber stop and doesn't hang low enough to drag in turns. And it doesn't seem to get worse with time.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:38 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Only fix is a new spring. Isn't your bike worth it?

Old 10-16-2011, 12:44 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Normally, I'm not a fan of making extra work, however in this case, it would seem easier to replace the spring at your convenience rather than when it decides to break. I also saw recently that someone has come up with something that will hold the jiffy stand up in case of spring failure, but I don't remember who was selling them. Perhaps one of you guys can point the way to this product.

Old 10-16-2011, 12:49 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Beemervet
Only fix is a new spring. Isn't your bike worth it?
You are right ! Am off to get a new spring..cheap enough and a quick fix. Thanks!

Old 10-16-2011, 11:23 PM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master

Originally Posted by CWDoc115
Normally, I'm not a fan of making extra work, however in this case, it would seem easier to replace the spring at your convenience rather than when it decides to break. I also saw recently that someone has come up with something that will hold the jiffy stand up in case of spring failure, but I don't remember who was selling them. Perhaps one of you guys can point the way to this product.
www.kickstandkaddy.com

I have one, seems to be working fine. Added it for one of those "just-in-case" moments.

Old 10-16-2011, 11:47 PM
genedjr
Road Captain

mine wore out at about 35K miles. just streched out and fell off. I replaced it. Cheap. the kickstand caddy also looks good, but first time I seen it.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:59 AM
hopperop
Banned

Kick stand caddy, oh yeah, gotta have that.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 AM
CSP067
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hopperop
Kick stand caddy, oh yeah, gotta have that.
Thanks. First good laugh of the morning.

Old 10-17-2011, 07:24 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

this may be common sense knowledge to most, but thought i would throw it out there for those that don't. i was surprised at the number of people i know that didn't know this....

when replacing the spring, you don't have to use vise grips or pliers and stretch the heck out of it trying to get it in the little holes. obviously the bike has to be off the jiffy stand for this... take off the little tab on the top of the jiffy stand and rotate the stand forward. take the spring off, put the new one on, then rotate the stand back and put the locking tab back on. can be done in less than 5 minutes without breaking a sweat.

(yes, i know this info is in the manual, but a lot of guys don't read the manual for a little job like a kickstand spring)

Quick Reply: Jiffy Bar/kick stand question