Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine Braking, Blip or no Blip

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 06:42 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nwbikerid
Anybody that's ever driven a truck knows this naturally.
Since 81. I always match the RPM.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:54 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
To answer the original question, I do "blip" to equalize RPMs when braking, but I use engine braking only very moderately by keeping the strain on the drivetrain as low as possible. For me the majority of the braking duties should go to the brakes.

There was a technical article on this subject in a car magazine a decade or two ago and the point made was that engine braking not only wears the rear tire(s), but everything in the drivetrain--engine, transmission, primary chain, clutch, belt, etc. Using the brakes is the most economical option because brake pads are cheaper than drivetrain components.

Keep in mind that that any braking, using engine or brakes, will wear either the front or rear tire. I try to anticipate braking and coast to a stop as much as possible using the highest gear I can.
I'm glad to hear you say that cuz that's what I've always believed and was wondering when I missed the memo LOL. The only time I engine brake is when I want to see if I'm running lean, just in case I need to let me explain that. I came from a Metric cruiser with carb's and I knew I was jetted properly when I could engine brake with little to no popping during deceleration through all the gears (I preferred no popping). Since I'm running a stock setup I occasionally check to see how I'm running. They say stock bikes run way too lean, but the way I've learned from carb bikes the proof is in the deceleration (yes, yes and the condition of the plugs yadi yadi yadi). :icon_mrgreen

The following users liked this post:
Sorce (05-28-2019)
Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always give blip to match revs when down shifting.

Old 10-18-2011, 06:57 PM
sgnden
Road Master
Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by nwbikerid
Anybody that's ever driven a truck knows this naturally.
There ya have it. Most definitely a natural thing.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Sath
Tourer

I grew up riding 2 stroke engines so engine braking was not a habbit I developed. Actually I think my buddy went down in wet conditions because of it. He says doesn't know what happened, the bike did a 180 before he knew it. I really don't see a benefit with engine braking with big cc engines, imo it can get you in trouble quick. As for me I still blip the throttle beacuse I don't want uncontrolable breaking.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:02 PM
TheSinistral
Tourer

blip.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:11 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
To answer the original question, I do "blip" to equalize RPMs when braking, but I use engine braking only very moderately by keeping the strain on the drivetrain as low as possible. For me the majority of the braking duties should go to the brakes.

There was a technical article on this subject in a car magazine a decade or two ago and the point made was that engine braking not only wears the rear tire(s), but everything in the drivetrain--engine, transmission, primary chain, clutch, belt, etc. Using the brakes is the most economical option because brake pads are cheaper than drivetrain components.

Keep in mind that that any braking, using engine or brakes, will wear either the front or rear tire. I try to anticipate braking and coast to a stop as much as possible using the highest gear I can.
I agree with iclick. I also drive a truck. Therefore I do know how to down shift. That said, if you take a test drive (pre-employment thing for you non truck drivers) with the bigger trucking companies, they don't want you down shifting to slow the truck. Brakes pads/shoes are indeed cheaper than transmissions etc.

Last edited by mike5511; 10-19-2011 at 04:13 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:16 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Stiggy
That's because newer "cast" Harley cranks are the closest thing to junk the MoCo has ever offered. Same reason that impact tools are no longer recommended on compensator replacement, ( even though that was SOP through 2006 in the repair manuals. Back then Harleys had forged cranks.)
Can you imagine a car dealer telling you not to downshfit your Ford Focus because you might twist the crank? C'mon!

And yes I blip when downshifting and have nearly 100,000 miles on this drivetrain ( with the original clutch plates too!)
Wow! I didn't know that the newer cranks are cast.

Next they'll start making the cases out of pot metal - if they haven't already, that is.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:07 AM
Mighty Nation
Banned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you equalize the RPMs you don't even need a clutch.

klap (05-29-2019)
Old 10-19-2011, 07:57 AM
remike
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a son of a blip!

Sorce (05-28-2019)

Quick Reply: Engine Braking, Blip or no Blip