Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter Clutch Replacement on 09 SG

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 06:01 PM
desertpatriot
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scubamike
Ok so I went ahead today because I had time and decided I would replace my worn starter clutch in my 09 Streetglide with 25k on it and it was not starting or had the hot start grinding sound. The HD kit part number is 31633-07A which includes a new starter cluch assembly, o-ring, spring, and ball msrp about $125 from HD. I did not find a lot of information in the HD service manual but removing the starter was pretty straight forward. I disconnected the battery and for my sake just removed it. I then disconnected the positive cable on top of the starter solenoid assembly as well as disconnected the connector on the lower forward side of the starter. Removed the two securing allen bolts and gently tugged and removed the starter assembly at a upward angle. The book states to remove the oil fill cap but I did not have to. Also another caution is to make sure you do not loose the two ring dowels in the mount holes for the starter to install into the backside of the primary. Thats it for removing the starter, pretty easy. Pictured below is the new start clutch assembly.
Attachment 213112

Now the fun part to replace the starter clutch. As stated earlier in this thread I cleaned and wiped off the starter and took a knife and cut the powder coat at the seam where it comes apart to try to eliminate it flaking. Its a little hard to explain but once you have the assembly out you can kind of see what you have to do to get at it and hopefully the pictures help. Remove the chrome cap and bracket off the solenoid. If you look you will see two recessed phillips screws that you have to loosen and remove. Mine were covered in powder coat so I used a phillips socket and gently hit the bit into place and then a rachet to loosen and remove those two fasteners. Second where you removed the chrome cover and bracket on the solenoid end you have to loosen those two long fasteners holding the solenoid in place. Be carefull to lay the starter assembly on its side and not allow the solenoid assembly to come apart or the brushes can drop out of place. Just loosen the two fasteners and leave that part together. Now with those four fasteners removed you can gently spit the starter assembly and see the starter clutch and the rest of the gears and pieces. Also be careful that there is five roller type bearings that are loose inside the center of the smaller gear inside a plastic retainer do not loose those. Here are a few pictures to help explain what I am talking about.
Attachment 213113
Attachment 213114
Attachment 213115
Attachment 213116
I left the solenoid part of the started sideways on my bench and cleaned that assembly. I then removed the original starter clutch assembly with a light pull. After which I removed the smalled gear with the roller bearings insided and cleaned the assembly. After which I placed a little oil around the bearing race and insearted the new starter clutch assembly in the starter housing with a gentle force and made sure it seated the bearing in the case. After which I installed the smaller gear and bearings in place. The kit gives you a new ball bearing make sure you place that inside the shaft of the new starter clutch. If you look inside the original one you will see it. Next replace the spring on the plunger assembly it just slides of and on. After that i put a little oil on the other bearing and gently slid the two haves together while leaving it on the bench as to not disrupt the solenoid brushes and I then tightened the four removed fasteners. I then installed the new o-ring on the starter that goes into the backside of the primary. After which again make sure your ring dowels are in place and reinstall the starter as you removed it and make sure to locktight and tourqe the two starter mount bolts to 22-24ft-lbs per the HD service manual. I then installed the battery and seat and tried it out and it worked perfect. I let the bike warm up and shut it of and on a few times and it again worked great. Went for a short ride to get it warmed up to operating temp stopped for gas and again it worked great like it used to. I have a new SE compensator on order and am going to change that next week as well. Also another note as I could not see any visible wear on the original starter clutch.

The starter clutch job did not take very long and if you just take your time its pretty easy to do. Maybe took about 1 1/2 hours total and thats with me screwing around and cleaning everything which I guess thats what the dealer quoted me. Sorry for the long winded post I just thought it may help somebody down the road with theirs. If you have any questions of suggestions please post or if you would like to add anything to this thread. Thanks again to the guys that posted their information and suggestions.
Did you put blue locktite on the primary case bolts?

Old 03-16-2016, 05:54 PM
markwolula
Tourer
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by desertpatriot
Did you put blue locktite on the primary case bolts?

I do !!!! Be silly not to ....

Also give the mounting face of primary case, and the mounting face of the starter motor, (where they join), a good clean, and finish off with a light sand with emery paper.... This is where the starter motor gets its ground from on later models ....
Also the torque value of the starter motor mounting bolts was increased in an update on later models .... check this out, I dont know the values off hand...
Cheers ...

Old 09-26-2016, 03:01 PM
socalmarcus
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another 'grinding when starting hot' beneficiary here. $65.00 for the All ***** clutch from Amazon and my first wrenching on my first Harley ('11 FLHTCU) went well. My first hot start (~100 degrees today) since and no grind!

Thanks Scubamike.

Old 11-22-2016, 03:40 PM
lunatikfringe
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs up

I just did a Trans pulley and belt swap on my 09 SG. I also changed out my Starter clutch thanks to your Step by step! Thanks for posting all them years ago!

Old 07-12-2017, 06:47 PM
Lariat
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I realize this is an old thread that Im engaging but I have the same "hot start" issue with my '08 Road King Classic. My question is, Why does this problem occur with a hot motor? Even if I don't receive an answer that's sounds logical I'll still replace the starter clutch since it's an inexpensive solution for the majority of Harley owners. Does anyone know why?
Ride Hard, and Ride Safe!

Old 07-12-2017, 06:52 PM
Veekness
Elite HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 494 Posts

Without sifting thru the other responses I'd be more prone to think a hot start problem would be more of an issue with the starter itself. Let's see what other folks come up with. I reckon.

Old 04-30-2018, 05:17 AM
F150HD
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,270 Likes on 836 Posts

subscribed