Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2012 FLHTK Need Help before I buy

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 04:48 PM
mrnone
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 11-23-2011, 05:21 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
My point exactly,taste is a "social concept" where one's environment dictates what one finds appealing or not.
Lemmings find it "tastefull" to do a swan dive off the bank with the rest of the crowd.
You couldn't be further from the truth, dude. I don't give a rat's @ss what's trendy and what's not.
Taste is very personal and nothing's gonna dictate what I should ride, eat, drink, wear, read, listen to, etc ......

Old 11-23-2011, 06:14 PM
D2R
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
You couldn't be further from the truth, dude. I don't give a rat's @ss what's trendy and what's not.
Taste is very personal and nothing's gonna dictate what I should ride, eat, drink, wear, read, listen to, etc ......
Now, now,losing your cool over a little difference of opinion shows a complete lack of "taste".
I guess I'm the one who should be irrate.After all you're the one who belittled and besmirked my ride.I stated in my original post that my FLHTK was a great bike and a good ride as have all six of my HD's over the last 39 yrs.As I pointed out I really don't care what other people think,apparently you do.Not that it matters much but I'd be willing to bet I've put more miles now on Harleys than you ever will,just don't have to justify it to make me feel my life is complete.
The original poster was asking for opinions on the Limited.I gave him one,nothing derogatory,just my honest review and comparison to the Vision.
Have a happy Thanksgiving .

Last edited by D2R; 11-23-2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 11-24-2011, 06:33 AM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by D2R
Now, now,losing your cool over a little difference of opinion shows a complete lack of "taste".
I guess I'm the one who should be irrate.After all you're the one who belittled and besmirked my ride.I stated in my original post that my FLHTK was a great bike and a good ride as have all six of my HD's over the last 39 yrs.As I pointed out I really don't care what other people think,apparently you do.Not that it matters much but I'd be willing to bet I've put more miles now on Harleys than you ever will,just don't have to justify it to make me feel my life is complete.
The original poster was asking for opinions on the Limited.I gave him one,nothing derogatory,just my honest review and comparison to the Vision.
Have a happy Thanksgiving .
Relax, dude, I'm not losing my cool at all. I was just saying that taste is personal and not influenced by anybody or anything, that's all. You pretty much assumed that I was a lemming because I stated my preference for the classic looks of HD over the "radical" lines of the Vision. That's why I wrote you couldn't be further from the truth.
Anyway, no need to get aggravated over such a detail.
Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

Old 11-24-2011, 08:16 AM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Back on subject.

I bought a 2012 FLHTK a few weeks ago. I traded in my 2004 Road King and I haven't looked back. The Road King was appealing because I could remove the windshield. Trueth be told, I took the windshield off once. After getting my *** kick by the wind all day, the windshield went back on and never came off.

I kept the bike stock for the first 500 miles. I paid enough for it that I figured I didn't need to do much to it for awhile. But I was tired of my right foot getting hot so I did a full Stage 1 upgrade. Air filter from Fuel Moto, PV tuner, American Custom header (stock pipes with the CAT removed) and Bomber mufflers. I noticed a significant difference in the performance of the bike and the heat is gone too.

I also contimplated a quick detach kit for the trunk but the more I think about, I will probably just pass. For starters it will cost me about 1K (parts and labor). I never see the tourpack while I'm driving and I sure can't feel it back there so why bother? I use my Limited as my daily driver and all that storage space sure comes in handy.

To answer your question about price. I paid MSRP. The dealer threw in a couple of oil changes and highway pegs. That is about it.

Old 12-31-2011, 02:13 PM
davedyna
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Also looking at a 2012 Limited or Ultra Classic

First, Grappa -- did you buy yet?? Seems we lost you around end Oct. or I missed the post

I have narrowed a search for either the Big Blue Ultra Classic or Ultra Limited.
I cannot believe that Harley cannot give a fully detailed list of all the differences (web page is lame regarding it and no dealer salesperson has got it right yet when I ask)
but I believe:

Limited listed first

ABS/Security Stock vrs not on Ultra Classic
Chrome vrs Alum Wheels on Ultra Classic
Premium vrs Deluxe Bag liners on Ultra Classic (I think from seeing them at a dealer)
Titanium Gauges vrs "regular gauges on Ultra Classic
Heated Grips vrs not on Ultra Classic
12 V in tour pack vrs none on Ultra Classic
Limited Badging vrs Chrome bumper and saddlebag trim on Ultra Classic
Tour Rack on tour pak on limited vrs none on Ultra Classic

Not sure of:

Chrome cover on Oil cooler on limited ??
Any additional inner liner difference (like organizers) on limited?
Liners in glove box on limited??
Any differences in stereo features, headset, etc. ???/

Pricing difference or around ~2500

Anyone that has purchased or knows of anything I missed??

My greatest challenge is the paint :-)

Here is what I personally see (both Big Blue Pearl and black)
Front fender same on both
Colors on outer fairing are reversed (I like the limited better here)
I actually like the gas tank badging and paint better on the Ultra Classic
The lowers are black on the limited, blue on the ultra classic -- I want blue
I like the rear saddlebags and tour pak paint on the Ultra Classic slightly better but the pak
is a wash once you have the rack in place for the limited.

I am thinking about highway pegs, something to cover those ugly stock passenger exterior footboards, maybe a removable tour pak kit (anyone have pics of that on a 2011/12 Ultra Classic or Limited -- I wonder about the flat metal side plate versus the stock "pipe" stype mount). Later, maybe goodbye CAT. I have been looking at these two bikes sie by side and I think the limited is the way for me to go but will need to trade off those lowers.

Anyone replace their inner fairing with the bright black or color matched??

Almost ready to start the pricing discussions (also trading in my wife's 2011 Superlow -- 450 miles) but will need to be in a really patient mood for that game

Any thoughts-- :-) I know there will be

Thanks

Dave
(and yes, the Dyna still stays )

Last edited by davedyna; 12-31-2011 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 12-31-2011, 04:53 PM
Bushy
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

All I had to do was decide on color..blue won hands down.. went from 07 ultra to 2012 limited.. very happy

Old 12-31-2011, 06:23 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You know I knew everything that was on the Limited, then I bought one in January and forgot everything it had. The bike runs so good, I forgot to think about it.
And it has got a lot of stuff.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:55 AM
davedyna
Tourer

Got any pics of your new ride Bushy?

Old 01-01-2012, 09:57 AM
davedyna
Tourer

Yeah cardboard, I tend to get a bit **** with the little details but it is the thrill of the hunt if you know what I mean. I am almost ready to bag one of these babies.

Quick Reply: 2012 FLHTK Need Help before I buy