Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cams and fuel controller

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 06:21 PM
harvey
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cams and fuel controller

i know you can do a fuel controller without new cams but, can you do cams without a controller
harvey

Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM
michael427
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just put 203 cams in mine and had to remap the power comander several times till it ran right so I would guess you'll need a fuel controller with cams.

Old 10-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
i know you can do a fuel controller without new cams but, can you do cams without a controller
harvey
Nope. You will need to retune the bike after putting the cams in. I guess a lot of people are going with preloaded maps and auto tuners such as the Dynojet Power Vision but I have a good Indy in my area who does a great job on the dyno. He charges less than the cost of installation of all the auto tuners to do the job and I think that is the best way to tune a motor.

Plus, if your Indy has a program and license such as those offered by Delphi, its just a matter of "flashing" the ECM with out any access stuff hanging on the bike.

But as many people that are using the auto tuners, they must work good too. Preference I guess.

Old 10-19-2011, 07:00 PM
GEORGEW
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts

this is my setup,,I have a 09 Ultra with a 96"motor, SE Fatshotz Mufflers and the New Boyesen High Flow A/C,,,I had my Dealer install SE 255 Cams in the 96" also he put the Download for the 103 SE Stage II Kit in my 96" .. The Bike ran a He!! of a lot better but ran a little warm or Hot... Then I had the Xieds instaled by American at Large Motorcycle Shop in Carrollton,KY ... This cooled the bike down and it runs Better Than it Ever Did ...All I can say is if you want to install Cams and don't want to add the Cost of a PCV or TTS and a Dyno Tune this might be the way to go....Im Very Happy with the way my bike runs..It's smooth has lots of Power with no poping on decel....

Let me add this,, American at Large does a lot of Motor work on Harleys they also have a Dyno for Tunning ,,After they installed the Xieds the Owner took my Ultra for a test ride when he returned I asked him if a Dyno Tune would help my bike ??? His answer was ,,,,Your bike runs strong very strong,, It would be a waste of Money to Dyno your bike,, for what little more you would get, it's just not worth the cost,,, I hope this helps anyone trying to decide on Xieds or even a Cam change..

My goal was to have a good runing "TROUBLE FREE" bike FROM 0-80 MPH (it will run pass 80 easy)..And so far its working ,, It's a blast to Ride in the Hills of Kentucky!!!

Old 10-19-2011, 07:05 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Cams change the fuel map and timing so you need a tuner or a dyno.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:40 AM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by harvey
harvey
The Delphi ECM is a speed density system which is based on modeled airflow, the calibration itself is based on specific components and airflow. The short answer to your question would be because a cam swap directly affects the volumetric efficiency of your motor the tune will change considerably.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com