Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Shock Leaking Oil; Dealer Says "No" - Pics

Old 10-21-2011, 02:17 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Thumbs down Rear Shock Leaking Oil; Dealer Says "No" - Pics

While cleaning the bike I noticed a puddle of oil under the left muffler. I thought "maybe there are muffler bearings" But of course since we know there isn't such a thing I continued to research the source of the oil and it lead me to the shock.

Okay, NP, the bike is under warrantee I'll take it in. Well get a call this afternoon and they say there's no issue with the shock and everything is okay. So after returning to the dealer I asked them to explain to me the pics below. They couldn't. Their position is that they serviced the shock and went through the appropriate troubleshooting steps and could find no issue. They could not wrnty the shock with HD.

They also said the shock and the bike were very clean. I had just detailed the bike for the first time, I must have cleaned the shock too.

Regardless, clean or not, it's clear to me the shock was/is leaking. They said to keep an eye out and return again with a dirty oil shock.

Anyone have input on a mysterious oil leaking rear shock?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:27 PM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Treat them as they treated you next time you take it in, play dumb. Gee I have an oil leak and I don't know where it's coming from, but it's all over the shock absorber, see?

Old 10-21-2011, 02:28 PM
pnwlimited
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the right one leak and they wanted to make sure the primary wasnt leaking...im like really???? I rode to the dealership and he says, yep, looks like your RR shock is leaking....nonetheless they replaced it.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:35 PM
elauee1
Banned

My started leaking at 2 k miles 2010 roadglide replaced with progressive 940. Stock shocks are poor.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:36 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by valvestem
Treat them as they treated you next time you take it in, play dumb. Gee I have an oil leak and I don't know where it's coming from, but it's all over the shock absorber, see?
I told the guy, "This is like you standing there bleeding and I say, No your not"

Old 10-21-2011, 02:37 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Go to a different dealer. After they fix it show the first dealer the service invoice. Then tell them you have a new dealer and that you're going to tell all your friends.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:39 PM
reesestewww
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Go to a different dealer.
I will. I've never used them before and I knew better then to take it to them, but they're just one exit away. Typically I travel about 45 minutes, but I just thought this would be such a simple obvious fix. How good it go wrong.....

Old 10-21-2011, 02:45 PM
VandalENG
Advanced

Same identical thing happened to me. I placed a call to my service tech, he said I have it in stock bring it right in and we'll replace it (warrantee). Pays to have a good rapport with your dealer. BTW...Orange County Harely-Davidson Irvine,Ca

Old 10-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 614 Likes on 383 Posts

My 2008 Ultra had a leaky shock at about 16k miles. Happened outside of warranty coverage, of course. Take a ride to your dealer and ask him to look at your shock. Pull the rubber boot back on the shock and show him the oil.

Old 10-21-2011, 07:02 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

Pull the rubber shock boot up and away from the shaft,bet oil drips out of there.

There would be one heck of a mess if it was coming from the motor.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Shock Leaking Oil; Dealer Says "No" - Pics