Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Will a front fork baffle direct more wind to the front cylinder head on a FLHTCU?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:16 PM
caspr2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Big difference on the RG (with lowers,) as far as the wind coming up in front of the tank.

And it sure looks like it would redirect the air down and back towards the front cylinder, doesn't it?

The motor co. tells you to remove the fork baffle when installing lowers. I took mine off a couple of yrs ago and never got around to putting it back on. Mine is just the pld stock one. (black)

Old 10-22-2011, 06:17 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,153 Likes on 7,984 Posts

Originally Posted by fishbust
It is intended to reduce 'cold' wind, deflect off of you coming in between forks.
I know. Just wondering if it will increase air to the motor.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,546 Likes on 3,057 Posts

Originally Posted by caspr2
The motor co. tells you to remove the fork baffle when installing lowers. I took mine off a couple of yrs ago and never got around to putting it back on. Mine is just the pld stock one. (black)
Never knew that...

My 98 Ultra came with the baffle, this bike didn't. Half the Road Glides we sold over a 5 year period came with the baffle, half didn't, (depending on year.)

I bought this one for my bike after getting a good feel for how much air it blocked vs how much air came up without it.

It's way less on my bike with it, and it still gets cold here in NC at 5:30 in the morning, so apologies to MoCo, mine stays.

I wonder though what issue they think it causes?

Old 10-22-2011, 06:34 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told prior to 2007 they were stock on the Ultras. they took them off in 2007 to allow more air to the riders who were complaning of the heat. I put one on in the winter and take it off in the spring. I have no idea if they work or not.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:46 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by zoozoo
I know the front fork baffle is used to help reduce buffeting which I have very little of on my Ultra but would it help cool the front head or not? If it will help direct wind to the motor I will purchase one.
Why you worried about wind over the front cylinder?? Is it running hot?? Tune it right, & don't worry about what wind hits the front cylinder!!

Old 10-22-2011, 06:48 PM
Trucky911
Road Warrior

Received 68 Likes on 52 Posts

My 06 FLHTCI came with out one. I put one on and can't tell any difference, wind or heat.....

Trucky911

Old 10-22-2011, 06:54 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,153 Likes on 7,984 Posts

Originally Posted by arealinvestor
Why you worried about wind over the front cylinder?? Is it running hot?? Tune it right, & don't worry about what wind hits the front cylinder!!
Uh well, it's an air cooled motor and more wind to the motor would be better I would think. Just asking if the baffle would direct more air to the motor.

And yes it is tuned right!

Last edited by zoozoo; 10-22-2011 at 07:08 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:30 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 49 Posts

They didn't come on the '06 Ultra's either. I put one on, and my beard no longer blows straight up. There is still a lot of air that still comes up from the front of the tank....just not directly in the center.

The parts book states to remove it during summer months to help evacuate hot air from around the top of the heads, to help in cooling the RIDER, not the motor.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Got one on my RGC for buffeting. I don't see any difference with the cooling one way or the other.

Old 10-22-2011, 09:22 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I can tell you that it makes some kind of difference on my bike.
That said , I really noticed a difference on my 2006 FLHT with the 5 gallon tank.
On that bike , I saw no negatives at any temps.
Rider comfort , for me was better for under fairing/tank wind blast.
On the 2009 Ultra , it makes less difference to me as a rider.
Maybe it's the shape of the 6 gallon tank and frame configuration.
On this bike , I had spark knock on days over 85 degrees and over a 50 mile ride.
I did the same ride the next day without the baffle , no knock.
A week later same temps and miles , spark knock with the baffle.
I still like what it does for rider comfort , but now I only run it from late August to early July.
This was repeatable and consistent spark knock on my bike.
I would have thought there was more air to the front cylinder , but maybe it starves the rear cylinder instead.
YMMV
Mick

Quick Reply: Will a front fork baffle direct more wind to the front cylinder head on a FLHTCU?