Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-17-2015, 12:16 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
When replacing your radio, you should first ask yourself what you want from your new radio; bluetooth, speakers, controls, USB connection, and anything else that fits your needs. After that look into some of the following brands to find a match.

• Sony
• Apline
• Kenwood
• Pioneer
• JVC

Read full discussion below.
Print Wikipost

Best aftermarket radio?

Old 10-23-2011, 07:53 AM
Sonic69
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Best aftermarket radio?

My Hardon is going out and I'm thinking about putting an aftermarket radio in with a Biketronics kit. What is the best radio out now?

Old 10-23-2011, 08:30 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brace yourself and hold on......millions of opinions out there.

I just ordered the Sony DSX-S210X. For me I liked the Tune-Tray feature for my iPhone 4, and if I hook it up using the USB input in the front and keep my iPhone in my fairing pouch I can use Pandora. I also got it for just over $150 on Amazon. For the price it has a lot of features. I do not plan on using any Bluetooth on my bike, so I didn't feel the need to pay for that option.

Alpine makes great decks, Kenwood is another strong competitor. You will hear a lot of positive reviews from them. I chose the Sony because at the end of the day it's on a motorcycle, and my goals are not to build a competition quality radio, just something that is loud and clear at highway speeds. I am putting in that deck, RF amp, and RF Power 6.5" speakers in the Batwing (wanted the Polk MM, but concerned about the differences in Ohms between the speakers and amp, plus I got the RFs for $75 so they are inexpensive enough to experiment down the road).

There are definitely more high end setups out there, but I do not want a sub, I do not have lowers, so for me this fits my needs. All for under $750 (including the BT kit).

The first step I would recommend is identifying your goals in your build. How many speakers you want? Do you want a sub, speakers in your saddlebag lids, a flip up deck, do you want iPod controls, are you ok with front USB inputs, do you want to run a line into your bags and charge your iPod/iPhone also? Some decks will only control certain models of iPods/iPhones. Certain decks will not be compatible with kits that maintain handlebar controls. All of these will influence the route you go.

You will find everything on this forum from Boom! replacement speakers and no amp and stock deck to multiple subs, speakers, amps, and DVD players in the dash. All make their owners happy. Identify what you want and start researching from there.

Good luck on your quest. Audio has been a hot topic over the past month or so, there are a lot of informative threads on here to help you guide your search.

Last edited by hougz79; 10-23-2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:29 AM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 373 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by hougz79
Brace yourself and hold on......millions of opinions out there.

I just ordered the Sony DSX-S210X. For me I liked the Tune-Tray feature for my iPhone 4, and if I hook it up using the USB input in the front and keep my iPhone in my fairing pouch I can use Pandora. I also got it for just over $150 on Amazon. For the price it has a lot of features. I do not plan on using any Bluetooth on my bike, so I didn't feel the need to pay for that option.

Alpine makes great decks, Kenwood is another strong competitor. You will hear a lot of positive reviews from them. I chose the Sony because at the end of the day it's on a motorcycle, and my goals are not to build a competition quality radio, just something that is loud and clear at highway speeds. I am putting in that deck, RF amp, and RF Power 6.5" speakers in the Batwing (wanted the Polk MM, but concerned about the differences in Ohms between the speakers and amp, plus I got the RFs for $75 so they are inexpensive enough to experiment down the road).

There are definitely more high end setups out there, but I do not want a sub, I do not have lowers, so for me this fits my needs. All for under $750 (including the BT kit).

The first step I would recommend is identifying your goals in your build. How many speakers you want? Do you want a sub, speakers in your saddlebag lids, a flip up deck, do you want iPod controls, are you ok with front USB inputs, do you want to run a line into your bags and charge your iPod/iPhone also? Some decks will only control certain models of iPods/iPhones. Certain decks will not be compatible with kits that maintain handlebar controls. All of these will influence the route you go.

You will find everything on this forum from Boom! replacement speakers and no amp and stock deck to multiple subs, speakers, amps, and DVD players in the dash. All make their owners happy. Identify what you want and start researching from there.

Good luck on your quest. Audio has been a hot topic over the past month or so, there are a lot of informative threads on here to help you guide your search.
+1. Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:33 AM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ALPINE or KENWOOD I have had 2 Sony MARINE GRade that got water damage.Have had my Alpine for 2 seasons without missing a beat.There are many choices and almost all of them are better than the Hd stereo.I have a model 9886M with a cd player and I also use a Flash drive which I prefer over an I pod mainly because it is totally hidden.

Old 10-23-2011, 09:36 AM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

+ 3, I have had pioneer(2),kenwood, and JVC -- i'm running an Alpine digital amp (the best) -- so far the JVC Kameleon is the winner -- I keep painter's tape with -- when it rains I put a strip of the blue painter's tape over the radio for insurance purposes --
Originally Posted by Kesean
+1. Couldn't have said it any better.

Old 10-23-2011, 10:24 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Alpine!!

Old 10-23-2011, 10:41 AM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Sonic69
My Hardon is going out and I'm thinking about putting an aftermarket radio in with a Biketronics kit. What is the best radio out now?
Call Tony and talk to him first: http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/additional-services.html

You'll be suprised, you looking at spending $ 500 anyway to get a system... does not hurt....

Old 10-23-2011, 10:53 AM
milleda31
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I went with a Sony DSX-S300BTX. My goal was to not have an IPOD or smartphone mounted on the handlebars. The deck was just north of $175, search on-line for the best prices.

The DSX-S300BTX has Bluetooth that is able to stream audio from my Droid X and is the only unit I found that will stream both audio and phone functions. The IPOD goes in the tune tray and is charging while the deck is in operation. I stream Pandora from my Droid X which is usually in my jacket pocket. I don't use the phone while riding, the ability to stream audio was a big factor in my choice.

I installed this deck with the Biketronics Retro Radio kit, the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp and Hertz HCX 165 speakers. I am still trying to dial in the AVC which is much more finicky than stock.

I have noted a couple of minor issues....

1. The deck requires that the IPOD be removed when the deck is switched off and displays a warning on the display if you don't remove it. I have researched this and have not discovered why the IPOD can't be left in the unit. The reason is not mentioned in the literature.

2. For whatever reason the volume level from the tuner is less than that of the IPOD or Bluetooth audio. Not a huge issue, I just haven't figured out why this occurs.

All in all I am happy with my setup. An obvious improvement over stock in both sound quality and versatility. Nothing mounted on the bars to be a distraction and the ability to select multiple sources of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWL3mtCzts4

Old 10-23-2011, 11:14 AM
chorndawg
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by milleda31
I went with a Sony DSX-S300BTX. My goal was to not have an IPOD or smartphone mounted on the handlebars. The deck was just north of $175, search on-line for the best prices.

The DSX-S300BTX has Bluetooth that is able to stream audio from my Droid X and is the only unit I found that will stream both audio and phone functions. The IPOD goes in the tune tray and is charging while the deck is in operation. I stream Pandora from my Droid X which is usually in my jacket pocket. I don't use the phone while riding, the ability to stream audio was a big factor in my choice.

I installed this deck with the Biketronics Retro Radio kit, the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp and Hertz HCX 165 speakers. I am still trying to dial in the AVC which is much more finicky than stock.

I have noted a couple of minor issues....

1. The deck requires that the IPOD be removed when the deck is switched off and displays a warning on the display if you don't remove it. I have researched this and have not discovered why the IPOD can't be left in the unit. The reason is not mentioned in the literature.

2. For whatever reason the volume level from the tuner is less than that of the IPOD or Bluetooth audio. Not a huge issue, I just haven't figured out why this occurs.

All in all I am happy with my setup. An obvious improvement over stock in both sound quality and versatility. Nothing mounted on the bars to be a distraction and the ability to select multiple sources of music.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWL3mtCzts4
Does this work with the stock handlebar controls? Or were you using a remote for the new deck? Thanks.

Old 10-23-2011, 11:25 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

He used the Biketronics retro kit, so yes, it does work with the handlebar controls.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best aftermarket radio?