Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to tie down when trailering??

Old 10-29-2011, 02:00 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I carry my bike (which I try never to do, but it does happen) I use the handlebar and chock method, like Guitar does, except I don't even put anyu straps on the back. I just put the bike in a locking chock and put two straps on the front and compress it close to half way and go on about my business.

Old 10-29-2011, 02:19 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use wheel chocks and 4 tiedowns in the front [ 2 on handle bars and 2 on kuryakyn tiedowns with the soft wraps ] and 2 on the rear , the rear end can bounce around and go to the side , best rule I follow is to much don't hurt , not enough and it can ruin your trip

Old 10-29-2011, 03:22 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I use Big Daddy 2" Tie down ratchets with double snaps and soft ties.
I put soft tie on lower tripple tree and tighten forward, out and down. Compress forks only half way so that if I should hit hard bump I dont blow the fork seals. Pull my side covers off wrap them in a towel and place in trunk. Soft tie around frame under side covers pulling down and out. Now I do this again with a second set at the same points but making sure I dont compress the suspension more. I then tie the front wheel forward to the front of my chock. the rear wheel rearward and outward but not over tight since this is only to stop it from moving and keep it centered. Several more tie downs and soft loops on front/rear crash bars snugging not tighten outward and down just to stop any movement. Place side stand up so it does not hit when suspension works. Transmission in neutral so that 1 inch of forward and backwards movement that you cannot stop does not make a wear spot on my gears since it will not be lubricated since no oil is being circulated. After the first half hour of travel I go check everything and then everytime I stop for fuel which is 2 -3 hours. These straps are only used for the bike and nothing else so that I know they are in good shape when being used and then I have regular straps for the 4 wheeler since it cannot fall over and is scratched up already.

This may be over kill but I cannot predict what is ahead of me and I can only prepare for it.

Last edited by K Melancon; 10-29-2011 at 03:24 PM.
Old 10-29-2011, 03:44 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by frenchbiker
I have 2 Kuryakyn tie down brackets bolted to the front forks and I compress the front end about 1/2 way. For the rear, 1 strap on each side hooked to the rear crash bars to prevent lateral bouncing and that's it.
I really like the Kury tiedown brackets too. Much better front tie down points.

http://www.jpcycles.com/product/940-186

In the rear I wrap tie downs through the tire. Using the bag guard rails just upsets their position.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:35 PM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar4Him
A while back, I inquired at the dealership about how they recommend securing the bike. They said that every bike that comes in or that they ship is secured in this manner.
In the factory crate they tie down from the front crash bar to the skid/pallate thing. They don't tie to the handlebars on the touring bikes from what I've seen.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:45 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Remember that freight truck and 53 foot trailer dont ride like a small trailer either.

Old 10-29-2011, 04:48 PM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I've seen it quoted so many times in trailer threads that I just have to ask. If you have the correct amount of fluid in the forks, how does bottoming the suspension blow fork seals?

Old 10-29-2011, 04:55 PM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

From advice from forum members when I trailered my bike earlier this year i built a square frame work with 4x4,s and 2x4,s raised my shocks slid the frame under the lower frame let the air out, the bike sat on the square then I tied it down to the crash bar and passenger peg mounts. I think I could have gone through a war and the bike wouldn't have moved.

Old 10-29-2011, 05:25 PM
JetD
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have done the 2 sets (4) front / 1 set rear for years on street bikes and enduros -- trucks and trailers (basically as described above) with no problems (front 1/2 compressed).

There is an element that I have not seen mentioned in this thread yet and that is the trailer deck type and tie-down fastening. If the decking is some type of metal and the tie-downs are afixed securely that's about it.
BUT if it's a wood decking, check the character of the wood. I use 1/8" x 4" metal straps running the width of the trailer beneath the wood decking with the tie-down bolts securely fastened with substantial washers cinching them down. I've seen wood decking of 2x6 and 2x8 give way and tie-downs come loose. With a single bike it may not be problem, but with multiple it can create havoc.

Rear tie-downs: I always use 'em; if there are more than one machine back there, I'm not putting my bike back there unless they are all tied front and rear.

An Indie friend of mine has hauled west-east coast with 6 bikes several times and he always ties front/rear -- nothing moves.

Just my experience. Good Luck.

Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 PM
RidemyEVO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Which ever way you plan to tie down ( I prefer to tie down compressing the forks) and if you decide to leave the bikes on the sidestands ( which I prefer standing straight up ) be sure to run the bikes for a bit with fuel shutoff because if there on there sides the float will bouce and over flow fuel. That is if there carb of course, obviously efi will have no shut off.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Best way to tie down when trailering??