Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Odyssey Battery

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 01:52 PM
TitoFTW
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Odyssey Battery

I just put a Odyssey battery in my 09 Street Glide. From my research online it is supposed to be a "direct replacement", but I knew it would take a litle tweaking since it goes in sideways with female terminals toward the front of the bike. Holy crap, getting the positive terminal connected was a real PITA. The only way to get it on is to force the positive cable where you need it while praying you dont short anything in the process. The negative (ground) side was no big deal. Gonna take a ride later, and only time will tell how good the battery is, but it sure fires up good now.

Is anyone else running a odyssey battery and did you have the same issues getting it in (exercise in patience) or am i a dim bulb?

Old 11-03-2011, 02:30 PM
NMNSG08
Road Captain

I have been using odyssey batteries for years and always on a battery maintainer.They seem to last me about 5-7 years.Odyssey says that a deltran battery tender does not work on their batteries,they have one that is for their batteries only. I don't know what the difference is but i did buy 2 for my batteries and never had a problem so far.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:31 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

I had one fail- suddenly internal open...

stranded.

free replacement under warranty...internally shorted and could have burned done the bike and the house- luckily I was in the garage and heard it bubbling away.

bolt cutters on the battery cables and I got it out and contained in a barrel

got my money back

I don't think they can stand up to vibration, and a deka is 1/2 the price

I use agm batteries now

mike

Old 11-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I just replaced the stock battery in my 03 this spring, tell ya what I don't care what anyone tells me I will stick with OE.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:45 PM
danny54
Tourer
Received 47 Likes on 40 Posts

Never liked that battery, Didnt last long at all. The best battery out there is Yuasa, period!

Old 11-03-2011, 05:48 PM
NickD
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The MoCo doesn't manufacture batteries (I'm sure most know that already) and stock Harley batteries are re-branded Dekka batteries made by East Penn Manufacturing Company. Buying them under the Dekka name will save you some money over the Dealer. Also, if you have a Batteries Plus store in your area they have many AGM (sealed & maintenance free) 300 to 400 CCA batteries for Harleys in the hundred dollar price range.

There's no battery that last longer than a year or so in my hardtail so I just buy those $80 AGMs you can find at local auto parts stores or even Walmart. As long as the CCA is 300 or better they work fine, until they open fault or short out.

After the last one failed I looked at the new Lithium Iron batteries (small and very lightweight) made by Ballistic and Shorai. With the CCA needed for a Harley the size is about the same but the weight is way down. They are also supposed to be more vibration resistant.

http://www.ballisticparts.com/produc...ies/12cell.php

http://www.shoraipower.com/c-1-batteries.aspx

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-battery.htm

In the end I just went with another cheap AGM battery as the price on the LIBs (over the counter) was pretty high, at around $260. (Could probably do better online, but I was down and needed a battery right away.) But the whole story on these batteries hasn't been written yet as they are only about two years old in motorcycle use.

And I almost hate to repeat this as its unfounded but I read on another forum that one guy said he knew another guy (I know, right?) that had a Harley burn to the ground with one of these LIBs.

So I think I'll wait another year and look at them again. LOL!

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 PM
Dustball
Road Master

Originally Posted by danny54
Never liked that battery, Didnt last long at all. The best battery out there is Yuasa, period!
Glad you had luck with Yuasa because I've put two in my RC in the last two years. Last one internally shorted out 50 miles from help and no cell service. Back to Dekka/OEM and no problems...

Old 11-04-2011, 10:53 AM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

My original HD battery just made it through it's 6th year. OEM for me!

Old 11-04-2011, 10:57 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

The original HD battery on my 2009 made it through 2 years and 2 months....and it was always on a battery tender.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:20 PM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The battery for our touring model bikes is the Odyssey. It is the best battery made for our bikes. You guys that love the OE battery, probably have never had an Odyssey.

Quick Reply: Odyssey Battery