Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Road King at the Racetrack. Love these pics.

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 06:30 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default My Road King at the Racetrack. Love these pics.

I took the King out to a ride day at Eastern Creek the other day.

This is my favorite pic:

I have been in trouble with the law for speeding, so I decided to spend more time at the track and the strip and less time above the speed limit.

I was at the drags last week : https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-1-4-mile.html

This week it was the track. Eastern Creek here in Sydney Australia. The track has a notorious corner –Turn 1 – that the 1000cc superbikes were taking at over 125mph. It’s the fastest corner at an Australian track and one of the fastest in the world. It has a mid corner bump too, so needless to say I was pretty nervous about Turn 1….

Couldnt find this apex:

I had the SEPST logging during a session, so I have data on the laps I was doing which is interesting for a nerd like me.

I learnt a lot about the bike:
Firstly the Brembos are just stunning. The bike and I weigh 1050lb in track trim. Turn 2 is a slow corner – 35 mph – and I was touching 99mph on the straight between turn 1 and 2. The brembos were able to pull up the bike time after time. The lever went a bit softer, but the brakes were always there.
The power of the 124 is fantastic, and the more I tune her the better she pulls. The highest speed I logged was 127mph, and I was braking really early for turn 1 as I was scared of it. I was taking turn 1 at 79mph, so I had to pick my braking point to get from 125 or so back under 80, I don’t mind telling you I backed off early. As you can see from the data log she is still pulling hard at 127 mph in 5th.
The Bagger Wobble on 09 up new frames is very very real. One time I caught a GSXR 750 down the main straight and I thought I could follow him thru turn 1. I turned in at about 90mph and hit that mid corner bump and the bike got a big wobble on. At 80 mph the wobble was there but was manageable. At 90 it was scary. I am asking for a True Track for Christmas.
The 124 was destroying tires. My back tire had about 3000 miles on it and the sides were near new, the tread was deep. After the track session the sides were trashed, big waves of rubber were pushed into the tread gaps and the tires had ***** or rubber on them. I ride pretty hard on the road but I have never seen them chewed up like that,. I knew they were working as the back end just feels greasy under full throttle, you can feel the torque just slightly spinning the metzler up. I did 75 miles on the track, and I think the back tire has another session in it if I am lucky, ie a tire lasts 150 miles on the track.

The current suspension set up works very well when pushed hard. The #6 Ohlins on the back are unflappable, and the Monotubes on the front have to be the best value around. Grabbing a big handful of brakes at 125 mph with the stock setup would result in massive dive.

So the plan is to get a true track before heading back for another day. If I could take turn 1 at 90-100mph then I could leave the braking later on the front straight and get over 130mph.. I also want to raise the bike another inch or so if I can, having the extra clearance will lift corner speeds. I will order more c clips from Progressive for the front end and make a couple of lift brackets for the rear ohlins.

I passed a VFR800 between corners, a GSXR600 on the main straight and a Ducati 916 under brakes into Turn 2, proving bikes are only as fast as their riders.

Riding a Tourer on a track is a big heap of fun, a massive physical and mental challenge and a huge adrenaline rush. These bikes are quicker than most people realize. After 5 x 20 min sessions and 75 miles I was tired in a way I haven’t felt before even after a 600 mile ride.

Not much lean angle left here:

Links:
www.easterncreekridedays.com.au
www.brankobuilt.com.au
www.sscycle.com
www.motorcyclemetal.com

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 AM
ppilotmike
Road Captain
Received 106 Likes on 57 Posts

Very cool pics!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:36 AM
Avalanche_Mutt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

way cool!!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:43 AM
131tman
Road Master

Why are the mirrors taped?

Old 11-04-2011, 06:44 AM
RoaddogRG2011
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

awesome pics!

Old 11-04-2011, 06:45 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

That is awesome. I would love to do that. Nice write up too.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:50 AM
kingkingking
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 131tman
Why are the mirrors taped?
You must tape or remove your mirrors. Next time out I will just remove them.

Novice riders like me need to focus on the track ahead, not who is behind them. By the time you take your eyes off the track and check your mirrors and look back you can miss a braking point or turn in point and get yourself into trouble.

It is the responsibility of the rider overtaking to remain 7 feet from the other bike and pass safely.

Its a good system - you know that they guy you are trying to pass has no idea where you are and it is up to you to watch the line he is riding and make the pass. If you cant do it then you dont, he aint gonna let you around.

Another tip - Its really important to not watch the bike you are following, its a great way to crash. If you watch the bike you are following you are going to enter the corner at his turn in speed and not yours. Watch the track and look thru his bike, dont focus on it.

Last edited by kingkingking; 11-04-2011 at 06:57 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:05 AM
Just Dave
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Wonderful pics and a great writeup. Thanks for posting.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:06 AM
gogogadgetbiker
Banned competing forum owner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like loads of fun, I am sure there were a ton of people out there thinking "WTF is that geezer-glide doing out here???" Then they heard the 124 and shortley shut the f___ up!

Old 11-04-2011, 07:10 AM
Estil
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Great write up. Thanks for sharing and I'm envious!! With the riding position on a bagger (as opposed to a crotch rocket) I'm sure the wind is a factor in your stamina. Cool to see a bagger take those turns!

Thanks again for sharing.

Quick Reply: My Road King at the Racetrack. Love these pics.