Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Light Bar on Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2011, 10:03 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Rear Light Bar on Ultra Limited

Recently a bud didn't stop in time and tapped my light bar on the back of the bike. Surprisingly, the only damage was to the light bar which broke in half. I got a new light bar and now I'm putting it on but I've got a question on how to do it. Removing the light bar from the rear fender is simple and removing the turn signals from the end of the bar is also simple ...... to a degree. My problem is how to disconnect the wiring that goes to the turn signals. The ground wire is simple but the power wire is through a sleeve and I can't see where it attaches. Do I just grab it as far down as possible with a pair of needle nose and pull or is there some secret to disconnecting the wires?

TIA ..........

Old 11-03-2011, 10:18 PM
mechmatt
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You shouldn't have to disconnect any wires. I changed the one on mine and it was basically unplug and plug back in.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:23 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The turn signals plug into the tail light assembly. Remove tail light and follow wires up.

Old 11-03-2011, 10:34 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by wjl24
The turn signals plug into the tail light assembly. Remove tail light and follow wires up.

Behind the tail light lens is where they disconect. If ya have not already bought a new bar you might consider one off a 2012 Road King Standard. It looks & mounts exactly the same only its 3 inches narrower. I changed mine out for one, I think it looks alot better. Still has that wide mean look, not pretty like the Street Glide look, but its not gauty like the original ultra TS bar. JMO

Old 11-04-2011, 05:37 AM
Oilcan
Cruiser

So you folks are telling me that the wires that come out of the rear fender and route to each of the turn signals do NOT disconnect at the turn signals but rather run up to and plug in up near the tail light? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.

Old 11-04-2011, 06:28 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilcan
So you folks are telling me that the wires that come out of the rear fender and route to each of the turn signals do NOT disconnect at the turn signals but rather run up to and plug in up near the tail light? Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
Yes. I replaced mine and that's how it was.

Old 11-04-2011, 07:51 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There's a picture of the turn signal connections behind the tail light in this link:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J02829.pdf

You'll need a pick tool or similar device to press the tab to release each turn signal connector from the circuit board.

Suggestion: buy the HD Service Manual for your bike.

Carl

Old 11-04-2011, 08:16 AM
DooZ
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll see it's simple when you take off the taillight lens

Old 11-04-2011, 01:14 PM
pit1600
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Oilcan
yes!!! MOCO engineers... but after swapping my turn signal bar for a SG one, that's really easy to do it and not a bad idea

Old 11-04-2011, 05:59 PM
Oilcan
Cruiser

Okay, I found the disconnect behind the tail light. Simple, to say the least. Now, I have the very curious wife ..... I won't name names BUT ......... anyway, she decided to play with one of the turn signals while I was doing some other things and she took off the lens to replace the orange with smoke. While she was doing that she took out the bulb, spring, isolation ring and then managed to push the entire wire w/ground up through the opening. Now I can't manage to get it all back in the correct way so that the signal will work. I have it where it works if I hold pressure on the wire toward the bulb but something isn't putting enough pressure to keep the bulb tip against the hot connection. SIGH ......... any one know where I can get an exploded view of that light assembly? She meant well ................... and she loves to ride.