Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley-Davidson GPS Navigation System

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:55 AM
CrashTest 007
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley-Davidson GPS Navigation System

I am interested in purchasing a zumo 660 or 665 GPS. The questions I have cannot seem to be answered. The first question is the 665 has the XM. Does the XM antennae lie in the unit or is there a wire under the fairing with an antennae? Next question, will the XM music play from the radio without using the headphone jack? I know it can stream via Bluetooth but I like using the headsets (the ones that plug into the bike) I have and do not want to purchase an additional pair of headsets, besides I would rather hear the music from the speakers and not the headset. Does either GPS navigation instructions play through the speakers or is the mount just for charging purposes only? Does the handlebar radio controls work with the GPS (I have a 2011 Ultra Limited)?

I hope someone can answer these questions because every time I ask no one seems to have used the system too much. I do like to do a lot of rides and especially like the fact that the GPS syncs with the HD planner. I use that a lot as it is easier to plan rides using all the back roads. However, I occasionally miss that road off the beaten path and well, that is why they make a GPS in the first place!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:19 AM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

HD Boom NIM kit connects to the bikes radio & Road Tech GPS - software version 3.70. Interrupts radio output signal with turn prompt from GPS. Won't interrupt radio for XM, MP3 songs or cell phone calls from GPS - must have GPS audio output routed to the radio AUX with Y connector/stereo cable included in kit.

Last edited by 131tman; 11-04-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:21 AM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can help some, hopefully. There is an antenna, and as far as the rest of the questions, they get a little more difficult.

The mount that comes with the unit will not interface it with the radio, if you want to do that you will need to purchase the NIM unit also. Now if the plans are to use this NIM and get the prompts thru the radio, then you need to make sure you purchase an RT Zumo 660/665 and not a Zumo 660/665, because the latter will not work with the NIM correctly

I don't use the XM feature so I can't answer the XM part, but I believe the NIM would integrate the handlebar switches, I know it lets you change the volume on the navigation prompts. It does have to be used with AUX Input, you can put one on the radio for the rear of the radio and not have the Y (from the NIM) ran to the front input.

You can see, I'm too slow, as while responding another response was posted, well sorry for the repeat, although when I started it wasn't one.

Last edited by Copyless; 11-04-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 AM
my1sthog
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gps

I have the 660 and as far as I know the XM module only comes with the 550. I don't know about the 665 though. Without the NIM you will need to be plugged into the AUX input in the HK unit if you want directions over the speakers. After learning the nuances of the 660 I watch the screen to determine where the turns will be. It will give you the mileage right up to
the footage of a turn. Don't see a need for audio directions, hell I can't hear it anyway

Old 11-04-2011, 09:33 AM
speedwaysteve
Road Captain

The xm ant mounts under the fairing on top of the radio,i use my aux port to hear it through the speakers

Old 11-04-2011, 09:46 AM
CrashTest 007
Advanced

hey thanks for all the quick replies!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:54 AM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you want the built in mp3 player or the xm to play through the bike speakers or the hardwired headsets, you must use the aux input headphone jack on the front of the radio. The antenna can be placed remotely in the fairing so you do not have to see it. If you want the gps commands to interrupt the OTHER sources of the factory radio (FM, AM, CD) you will need to purchase the NIM from HD. Otherwise, you will only hear the GPS commands when you have the aux input selected on the bike radio. If you want to link a cell phone to the GPS and use your factory hardwired headset system, I suggest the HDBOMM for that. Handlebar controls will not work any part of the GPS system.

If you want to integrate the GPS commands with other sources of your radio, you will need the NIM and keep in mind, the NIM is only compatible with the HD branded GPS system. It WILL NOT work with the standard Garmin units.

Old 11-04-2011, 10:41 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

If you plan on using the 665 for your music (either XM or as an .mp3 player), you don't need the NIM.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:41 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not really true, sorta misleading in your comments. 665 for music source still must be plugged into the aux input on the front or add an aux input to the rear for it to play through the factory radio.

If FM, AM, or CD is listened to, to have the GPS commands you will need the NIM.

Originally Posted by '05Train
If you plan on using the 665 for your music (either XM or as an .mp3 player), you don't need the NIM.

Old 11-04-2011, 05:29 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by 2WheelGlider
Not really true, sorta misleading in your comments. 665 for music source still must be plugged into the aux input on the front or add an aux input to the rear for it to play through the factory radio.

If FM, AM, or CD is listened to, to have the GPS commands you will need the NIM.
No, it's completely true. I don't have an NIM, and my GPS directions interrupt my music when it's sourced from the 665. Not a big deal at all to have it plugged into the front of the radio.