Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Daytime Visability

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2006, 10:59 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Daytime Visability

I have done a thorough search on this forum regarding Silverstar bulbs and have read most of the treads on this topic but my dilema still remains.
Allow me to explain.
I have a Silverstar H4ST bulb in my headlight and have the stock 25W halogen bulbs in my passing lamps. Naturally there is a difference in color between the headlight and the passing lamps with the headlamp appearing whiter. I am trying to become more visable in daylight and am not concerned about night riding. After reading most of the info on this topic I'm not sure if I will be more visable in daylight with the yellowish looking stock passing lamp bulbs or should I go with the whiter Silverstars? I'm kinda thinking the stock bulbs will be more visible to traffic during the daylight hours.
It has been said on some of the posts that whiter light throws more glare and not necessarily more light. At this point I'm confused but I can say this, when I view my lights in daylight even though the yellowish looking passing lamps appear duller than the headlight I think I notice them more. Maybe my imagination?
Does anyone know the answer to this question?

Also, if I do go with the Silverstar bulbs there are many different opinions on that subject. Some say use #881 but when I checked that model I discovered that is a plain Sylvania halogen. Don't know if there is any benefit there. Others are using the 880 (27W) which is a Silverstar but has no elbow, they say it fits and some have bumped up to the 37W version of the 880. I may be concerned with heat issues with the 37W bulb. Think I would rather stick closer to the stock wattage.

HELP!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:05 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Daytime Visability

If ya REALLY wanna be noticed, then go with a headlight modulator. Problem solved...

Old 12-01-2006, 11:12 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

If ya REALLY wanna be noticed, then go with a headlight modulator. Problem solved...
Already considered that but in reality I'm too lazy, not lookin' to take the fairing off again. LOL!

Old 12-01-2006, 11:16 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Streetrunner
Already considered that but in reality I'm too lazy, not lookin' to take the fairing off again. LOL!
Obviously, ya've never ridden a Goldwing! After 10 years of 'em, this UC is a pure JOY ta tinker with! Hell, first time ah pulled the saddle ah kept thinkin' "This CAN'T be THIS easy!"

Old 12-02-2006, 11:30 AM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I usually have my highway lights on during the day but I turn them off at night cause then I look like a car with a headlight out.

Old 12-03-2006, 11:48 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member

Not me - ah figger that anyone what'll mistake 3 headlights spaced lahk they are fer a car is dumb enuff ta do sumthin' stoopid anyways. Otherwise, ah want any reasonable way ta make 'em "see" me possible!

Old 12-03-2006, 12:18 PM
easyglider
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TexasRedneck

Not me - ah figger that anyone what'll mistake 3 headlights spaced lahk they are fer a car is dumb enuff ta do sumthin' stoopid anyways. Otherwise, ah want any reasonable way ta make 'em "see" me possible!
Making them see you is the key.Have you ever noticed a bike coming at you with all three lights on?Very noticable and that my friend is the key.