Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Polk MM651 problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 04:07 PM
Miked053
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Polk MM651 problems

hey guys,
I just got a set of the polk MM651's for the front fairing about 2 months ago and installed them. At first they sounded great but then about 2 weeks ago the left speaker made some noices like it was distorting and I turned down the radio and then all of a sudden the big cone stopped working. This happened when the entire system was stock. I contacted polk and sent the speaker to the address that they gave me. Last night I installed my ARC 125.2 and connected the right side speaker by itself. I did my research and set the amp up to what was recomended and everything sounded great. Rode into work today and poof the right speaker followed exactly what the left one did. I contacted polk again by calling them this time and they said to send the right speaker in to the same address as the left and put in a note stating theat they now had the pair. They said that its a busy time of year for them and they have no projection as to when they might get around to looking at the speakers.
I ordered these speakers thinking that they would do the job but right now I am wondering if the Polks live up to they hype. Has anyone else had this problem with the polks or am I doing something worng? Any feed back would be great and should I just get a cheap set of speakers so I can at least listen to my street glide? I dont want to put the stock stuff back in because I dont want to be taking screws in and out of plastic fairing too many times and I dont think that they will handle the amp.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:17 PM
CLL375
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

One of mine crapped out on me on the ride to Sturgis. That was about 3500 miles with only one speaker. I fixed it when I got home with some solder. I was never impressed with them. Good luck with yours.

Old 12-18-2012, 04:43 PM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

Your first mistake was running the Polks with the stock stereo. They are high power speakers and really sing with an amp. You are far more likely to ruin a speaker with too little power than with too much, due to clipping. My Polks sound great with 70 watts per channel, my new amp will be capable of much more output and they should sound even better.

Old 12-18-2012, 05:46 PM
chevele72
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

your first mistake was running the polks with the stock stereo. They are high power speakers and really sing with an amp. You are far more likely to ruin a speaker with too little power than with too much, due to clipping. My polks sound great with 70 watts per channel, my new amp will be capable of much more output and they should sound even better.
x2 ,,,,,,

Old 12-20-2012, 07:05 AM
Miked053
Supporter

UPDATE:
Called Polk about the issue and their customer service was attrocious. They told me they had no idea when they would be able to get around to looking at the speaker I just sent in, to just send the the new one in and quite whinning, they are probibly fakes because we build better speakers than what youre discribing, and you'll get new ones so what are you complaining about. Things sure have changed in the CS world apparently, or maybe its just the time of year. Either way I dont think Polk is ever gonna get my business again.

Put in a set of sony 6.5" speakers for the time being when/if I ever get the polks back. They arnt the best speakers but for the money they are working and theyll do the job for the time being.

Last edited by Miked053; 12-20-2012 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:32 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

"They told me they had no idea when they would be able to get around to looking at the speaker I just sent in, to just send the the new one in and quite whinning, they are probibly fakes because we build better speakers than what youre discribing, and you'll get new ones so what are you complaining about."

Did you get the reps name? Id call back and ask for a supervisor or someone in management or authority. Stating its a busy time of year and we will get to it when we can is unacceptable.
Im not sure I buy all this. Ive had a few conversations will polk techs and they were nothing but courteous and informative.

Call back til you get someone that can help you,.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:43 AM
Miked053
Supporter

She told me her name but I have forgotten it. She claimed that they just did their invantory last week and they are backed up due to this being their busy time of the year. Oh, and she implied since i recieved them as a gift and I was gonna get brand new speakers "from polk" then whats the problem. Maybe I am just over analysing things but i am just highly annoyed

Old 12-20-2012, 10:05 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Busy time of year for what? Repairs?? That many marine grade speakers having problems from the boating/biking season? Shouldn't be too slow if they're replacing vs. repairing but, yeah, I'd be pissed too ....

Old 12-20-2012, 11:20 AM
YammyDrummer
Road Warrior
Received 487 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
"They told me they had no idea when they would be able to get around to looking at the speaker I just sent in, to just send the the new one in and quite whinning, they are probibly fakes because we build better speakers than what youre discribing, and you'll get new ones so what are you complaining about."

Did you get the reps name? Id call back and ask for a supervisor or someone in management or authority. Stating its a busy time of year and we will get to it when we can is unacceptable.
Im not sure I buy all this. Ive had a few conversations will polk techs and they were nothing but courteous and informative.

Call back til you get someone that can help you,.
Werd! Have owned Polk (home and auto) products for years. Only used their customer service once years ago. I had a relatively simple tech question, but was expecting to get bounced around until they found someone who knew the answer. That wasn't the case at all. First person I spoke to was able to answer my question. The thing that stood out about my brief dealing with them was the professionalism and ability to explain things on "my" level.