Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drop Seat Kit ???

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 10:47 PM
vertical_horizons
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drop Seat Kit ???

I am looking to get a cruiser (most likely, a Ultra Classic or Road King).

The problem is that I am 5'-5", am have a 28" inseam.
I do not want to install a lowering kit. I know that lowering the bike alters the suspension, and I don't want that.

Has anyone installed a drop seat kit?
Supposedly, the kit will NOT lower the suspension, but will drop the seat height by 3 inches. There is no welding required. Everything just bolts onto your existing framework.

You DO have to install (depending on your bike model) a battery relocator, and/or a couple of other items may have to be relocated.
The kit also provides you with new side covers, because, after install the kit, your old side covers will no longer fit.

Opinions? (Good & bad.)

Old 11-15-2011, 10:48 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i am short . two great thrifty mods ... i did on my 2008 flhc . was a kickstand extension ,bought from HD . Easy to instal . i also had my stock seat narrowed and lowerd 2.5" BUY MeanCity Cycle . very cheap compared tp most other mods.total cost just under $150 including shipping both ways.
i also installed some 11" Bitchin Bagger drop shocks they are HD air shocks that are cut down under $200 .
bike handles better . no chance of bottoming out and tearing up the wiring harness . there is a stop in the shock that .. not so with cheap lowering blocks

Last edited by baust55; 04-25-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 10:57 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by vertical_horizons
I am looking to get a cruiser (most likely, a Ultra Classic or Road King).

The problem is that I am 5'-5", am have a 28" inseam.
I do not want to install a lowering kit. I know that lowering the bike alters the suspension, and I don't want that.

Has anyone installed a drop seat kit?
Supposedly, the kit will NOT lower the suspension, but will drop the seat height by 3 inches. There is no welding required. Everything just bolts onto your existing framework.

You DO have to install (depending on your bike model) a battery relocator, and/or a couple of other items may have to be relocated.
The kit also provides you with new side covers, because, after install the kit, your old side covers will no longer fit.

Opinions? (Good & bad.)
I have never heard of anything like you are describing, but if you have not bought your bike yet have you considered a street glide? They sit alot lower than the King or Ultra Classic. They make low profile seats for them. I know several people about your height that has no problem at all on Street Glide. Just a thought,,,

Old 11-15-2011, 10:59 PM
vertical_horizons
Stage III

Originally Posted by baust55
... i also had my stock seat narrowed and lowerd 2.5" BUY MeanCity Cycle . very cheap compared tp most other mods.
When you get a chance, how about posting a pic of your bike from the side?

Old 11-15-2011, 11:03 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

photos in my photo album here are before photos ... meancity did a good job seat looks almost the same . just slitly narrower and lower .with some tall boots i flat foot it now . with seat mod and shocks .

i think the kit your talking about is made buy a co. called FatBaggers

Last edited by baust55; 04-25-2012 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:10 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts
Old 11-15-2011, 11:13 PM
not_so_newb
Elite HDF Member
Received 822 Likes on 478 Posts

discussed here in some detail including photos ... https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...-seat-kit.html

i'm not that short , but at 5'9" with a 30" inseam i have some concern about a future touring bike purchase

Old 11-15-2011, 11:21 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Im in the same boat as you but Im a bit taller.

I was planning om buying an RKC and after reading a bunch of internet forum posts convinced myself that I could get away with a lower seat and no suspension mods. When I actually got on a bike and tried on some seats I realized I was kidding myself. In addition to the lowest seat I had to lower the front AND rear to feel like I was stable and I would be able to push the bike around if I had to. MeanCity is good too but once you actualluly throw a leg over a real bike and try to walk it around you'll see there's just mo way around lowering the suspension. I went with 1" lower air shocks in the back because they do the job, they're cheap, and easy to replace later, got 1" lower Progressive monotubes in the front because they're good, it's 4 hours labor to lower the front end, so you may as well put good parts in it so you don't have to do it again and when I take delivery of my bike this weekend I will take the stock seat and send it out to MeanCity...I got a Badlander to ride in the meantime.

You can only take so much padding out of the seat before it defeats the purpose of having a touring bike. Lowering the suspension an inch isn't really that bad if you use good parts. Event though I lowered the front, since the Progressive shocks eliminate brake dive, you actually GAIN clearance in a turn because your forks don't compress as much. Also because you're small, you likely weigh far less than the average Harley rider and won't have problems bottoming out or scraping floorboards unless you're attempting sportbike maneuvers.

Most importantly, GO TO A DEALER and ask to sit on the bike you're thinking of buying. It won't take more than about 45 seconds to realize that if you think you can get away without lowering the suspension, you're kidding yourself. Don't use lowering blocks - those will chang the suspension geometry. Get shorter shocks.

Keep in mind that the Dynas and Softails have MUCH lower and narrower seats than the touring bikes. So unless you have your heart set on an FLH frame, check those out too - the switchback is a Dyna with bags and a fairing and sits quite a bit lower.

Last edited by blarg; 11-15-2011 at 11:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 11:39 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member

on my 3008 RK stock seat mod i opted for meanCitys memoryfoam option . so the narrowed the seat this helps a lot then they cut 3" 4" out and added back some memoryfoam for comfort ,seat sets 2" or 2.5" lower now. looks and rides nice did 1650 miles one weekend two days were 500miles days nice and comfey

Old 11-16-2011, 07:26 PM
baggerdoug
Intermediate

I put the FBI drop seat kit on my '09 Roady along with an Arnott air ride when I had less than 100 miles on it. I have logged over 16k miles on this setup and it is the best riding HD I have owned (have owned 12 HD's and 4 custom choppers in the past 30 yrs). The past summer I logged nearly 9k on this bike with a 23" front wheel/tire and and travel as far as 5 states from home. I do have it set up as a solo bike (wifey's rides her own) and cannot state how it would ride with the DS two up. It does set very much like a softail. The FB kit includes everything and can be bolted on in an afternoon. They can even match factory paint for a fee. The kit is first class and of the highest quality. I'm 5'10" with a 33" inseam and setting I am very much bent kneed. This was one of the best mods I have ever done - currently stretching, raking and going to a 26" front wheel/tire. This will rate up there too in favorite mods. PM me with any questions. Later.

Quick Reply: Drop Seat Kit ???