Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96ci to 103ci upgrade with 255 cams

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 08:07 AM
08ClassicRider
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 96ci to 103ci upgrade with 255 cams

2008 Classic FLHTC.... stock...........
I'm in the process of doing just that next week, parts are on order and hopefully I will be riding with the upgrade before the Thanksgiving holidays.As anyone here had this done to their bikes and what did you like about the change?
I'm going with the SE super tuner Pro, tapered adjustable push rods, the Arlen Ness Big Sucker kit and compression releases.

I test rode the 2012 103ci Ultra Limited at an area demo days and I was truly impressed with the extra power ( compared to my 96ci ) in all the gears, especially the pulling power in 6th gear at 50 mph, not having to shift down to 5th like on my 96ci is exactly what I'm looking for.......
I have done some research on the 255 cams and from what I've gathered it performs very well in the 2000 to 4000 rpm range which fits my style of riding...very seldom am I reving it past 4 grand in any gear.

Thanks in advance for all your comments....

Sleepy

Old 11-18-2011, 08:38 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What r u doing for exhaust? With a setup similar to mine u will end up with somewhere around 90hp and 100tq or so with a standard map installed. A tune will give u alittle more, but short of some auto-tune system that changes it on the fly, the tune is best only there at that time in that room at that many feet above sea level,etc, after that it just is close depending on where u ride.
As to the choices u r making, I have an SE tuner, SE 255's, SE adjust pushrods, which r the same as u, my SE Ventilator is very similar wyour choice w/o the covers, so we are very close to this point. I strongly urge u to get new head pipes, the JackPots X over or the V&H Power duals are the better performing pipes with that cam choice than the stock exhaust, even if it lost the cat. convert, it still wouldn't run as well as a good 2-1 or a 2-1-2 exhaust.
Your coments on the 103 in the new touring bikes are identical to what mine were! And I went where u r heading! Yes, 6th gear has a purpose now, and u can even use it up hill! And with the work done my oil temps cooled by 35*+ and is healthy!!
Runs great, has sooo much torque and if I wanna go really fast, it is screaming fast from about 2800 to 4500 rpm. People I ride with are amazed how fast/powerful it feels and runs. I think I got a magic combo, even I get surprised once in awhile when I twist it hard!

Old 11-18-2011, 08:43 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

You will be happy with the mods when it's all said and done!

I do have one question though? Why in the world would you be in 6th gear at 50 MPH? It is not healthy for the engine to be lugging it around like that, and if you really needed to downshift because someone cut you off or whatever, you're gone need to go down 2 gear from 6th @ 50MPH....

Old 11-18-2011, 08:57 AM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic

I do have one question though? Why in the world would you be in 6th gear at 50 MPH? It is not healthy for the engine to be lugging it around like that, and if you really needed to downshift because someone cut you off or whatever, you're gone need to go down 2 gear from 6th @ 50MPH....
Glad you said it so i didnt have to. Just because you have the Tq to lug the bike doesnt mean you should.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:22 AM
08ClassicRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by petewerner
What r u doing for exhaust? With a setup similar to mine u will end up with somewhere around 90hp and 100tq or so with a standard map installed. A tune will give u alittle more, but short of some auto-tune system that changes it on the fly, the tune is best only there at that time in that room at that many feet above sea level,etc, after that it just is close depending on where u ride.
As to the choices u r making, I have an SE tuner, SE 255's, SE adjust pushrods, which r the same as u, my SE Ventilator is very similar wyour choice w/o the covers, so we are very close to this point. I strongly urge u to get new head pipes, the JackPots X over or the V&H Power duals are the better performing pipes with that cam choice than the stock exhaust, even if it lost the cat. convert, it still wouldn't run as well as a good 2-1 or a 2-1-2 exhaust.
Your coments on the 103 in the new touring bikes are identical to what mine were! And I went where u r heading! Yes, 6th gear has a purpose now, and u can even use it up hill! And with the work done my oil temps cooled by 35*+ and is healthy!!
Runs great, has sooo much torque and if I wanna go really fast, it is screaming fast from about 2800 to 4500 rpm. People I ride with are amazed how fast/powerful it feels and runs. I think I got a magic combo, even I get surprised once in awhile when I twist it hard!

I'm going with the H/D SE slip on mufflers ( which was recommended ), head pipes may be an option later on but due to $$$ concerns, they will have to wait until better times.

Old 11-18-2011, 09:25 AM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Why would you go to a 103 when you can do a 107 with tw777-tw555-tman555-or tman600 cams for the same money?

Old 11-18-2011, 09:44 AM
08ClassicRider
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic

I'm looking forward to my first ride with the new mods..13 Harley's and this will be the first time I've done any major engine "upgrades" , besides rejetting, larger air filters and exhausts on my older bikes.

To answer your question "Why would I be in 6th at 50 mph"?....
I don't ride around in 6th gear at 50 mph..........
I ride with a lot of folks who ride 103's and I've noticed when they are ahead of me and someone decides to turn left in front of us and we do slow down to around 50 mph or so they don't shift down to 5th gear, nay!!! They just throttle up slowly ( just like I did when I test rode the Ultra Limited 103) no down shifting like I'm doing with my 96....The Limited I rode throttled up nicely from 50 mph in 6th gear... I was doing it on purpose to duplicate my buddies reactions to a similar situation. I never felt like the 103 was lugging either.
In my opinion the 103 at 50mph in 6th gear pulls just the same as my 96 in 5th........but that's just my evaluation....
Now I'm not talking about grabbing a handful of throttle here OK?

And if it makes any difference..... I'm 68 years young and I've been riding two wheels for 50+ years now so I've got a little going for me........

Old 11-18-2011, 09:51 AM
05FLHTC
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

103 is a great plan but not with the 255's. Them cams are not the best choice, yr gonna need compression releases & a dam good tune. That 255 cam in a 103 is gonna raise the cylinder pressure up too high for any application. Pick a cam that will target yr CCP at no more then 190 & 185 for touring is even better.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:15 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by 08ClassicRider
I'm looking forward to my first ride with the new mods..13 Harley's and this will be the first time I've done any major engine "upgrades" , besides rejetting, larger air filters and exhausts on my older bikes.

To answer your question "Why would I be in 6th at 50 mph"?....
I don't ride around in 6th gear at 50 mph..........
I ride with a lot of folks who ride 103's and I've noticed when they are ahead of me and someone decides to turn left in front of us and we do slow down to around 50 mph or so they don't shift down to 5th gear, nay!!! They just throttle up slowly ( just like I did when I test rode the Ultra Limited 103) no down shifting like I'm doing with my 96....The Limited I rode throttled up nicely from 50 mph in 6th gear... I was doing it on purpose to duplicate my buddies reactions to a similar situation. I never felt like the 103 was lugging either.
In my opinion the 103 at 50mph in 6th gear pulls just the same as my 96 in 5th........but that's just my evaluation....
Now I'm not talking about grabbing a handful of throttle here OK?

And if it makes any difference..... I'm 68 years young and I've been riding two wheels for 50+ years now so I've got a little going for me........

Wasn't trying to offend you sir, just came across from your previous post that you ride around at 50 in 6th gear, if that was the case riding the bike properly would be better than adding cams.

Do the cams you will love it, makes a world of difference. But if you're gonna pay for a 103, I would just do the 107, most 107 kits come with cams already too. you will spend the same on a BB kit as what the dealer would want to just install cams, and tune the bike.

Good luck whatever your decision is.

Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

I agree with 05flhtc if you are married to SE cams go with the 254's or 204's.

Quick Reply: 96ci to 103ci upgrade with 255 cams