Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

removing battery on 09 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2011, 03:51 PM
TWIN CAM 96
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Disconnect the battery and take it to the tender for the winter the battery is easy to pull.

Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you keep a battery above freezing you will make it last alot longer. I've been "nursing" a 7 year old Sears Craftsman lawn tractor battery in the basement every winter, trickle charging it every so often and it's lasted this long.

Once, in the Nighthawk, I had a brand-new Deca (non-sealed) battery, didn't touch it in the winter, in an unheated garage and it was dead in two seasons.

Sealed batteries are maintenance-free (if you keep 'em warm, or on a Battery Tender in an unheated space.)

My two cents.

Ken

Old 11-18-2011, 04:12 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts
Old 11-18-2011, 04:31 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Pulling Battery 09 RK

Originally Posted by CSmith0960
Thanks for the help. I would put it on a tender if I could but the shed is about 200' across the yard so that's out. I thought from what I have seen online that it's not that tough to get the battery out so that's the route I'll go.
Just changed out my battery (09 Road King) and the only special tool needed was a T40 torx socket to remove the plastic cover on top of the battery. Remove saddle bag to unscrew the passenger seat strap. Remove seat. Release and lift the computer out of the way. Slide off the 2 wire plugs anchored to the front of the battery cover. Unscrew the 2 torx screws (on rear of battery cover) holding the cover on. Slide the cover forward past the metal tongue holding it in place and lift it off. Lift battery out! The whole job should take less than 1/2 hour.

Put it on a tender for the duration!

Almost forgot to add - buy a crotch cooler to install for when you put it back together. Just saying! As long as it's apart!!

Old 07-21-2015, 08:47 AM
tjbee
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffreydsilver
Just changed out my battery (09 Road King) and the only special tool needed was a T40 torx socket to remove the plastic cover on top of the battery. Remove saddle bag to unscrew the passenger seat strap. Remove seat. Release and lift the computer out of the way. Slide off the 2 wire plugs anchored to the front of the battery cover. Unscrew the 2 torx screws (on rear of battery cover) holding the cover on. Slide the cover forward past the metal tongue holding it in place and lift it off. Lift battery out! The whole job should take less than 1/2 hour.

Put it on a tender for the duration!

Almost forgot to add - buy a crotch cooler to install for when you put it back together. Just saying! As long as it's apart!!
Thanks Jeff! I have a related question... my battery is on a pigtail tender I was hoping I can leave that on while replacing the battery to retain the settings such as clock, etc. is that advisable? Thanks in advance. - T.