Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

slipon advice

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default slipon advice

I'm interested in new slipons for my 2012 Ultra Limited.
What's your experience with Thunderheader, Vance & Hines monsters, or others. Im looking for a deep rumble that isn't too loud at freeway speeds.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:06 PM
viperr817
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have thunder headers and I like the deep loud tone, its not too loud for me when cruising at highway speeds. I can hear my radio just fine. Only complaint I have had is from buddies that ride too close.

Old 11-22-2011, 12:11 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

If your catalytic convertor is in place, that is the major effect on sound, so the muffler choice has less influence on the end result.

for no cat headers:

thunderheaders are on the louder end of the spectrum ( most of the Dynas on sons of anarchy have thunder headers)

my Pal has monster ovals, I won't ride close behind him, he likes them- but he never uses his stereo and rides with ear plugs

many pipes project a tinny sound directly to the rear.

I use supertrapp supermegs ( no cat). Screaming Eagle sell 2 versions of these, the nightsick and the fatshots.
Depending on endcap and disc choice these pipes can be quite loud or fairly toned down

I'd suggest you go to bike night or a dealer BBQ ( I think arrowhead is doing something this week).

and see what pipes appeal to you

mike

Old 11-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I have rhineharts on my 07 ultra but like the sound of the pythons better.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:03 PM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

+1 on Thunderheaders. Nice low rumble that isnt obnoxious but roars when you get on it.

Old 11-22-2011, 02:08 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Check out American Customs' bomber mufflers for touring models. I'm getting a set as soon as the wife gets finished with Christmas shopping. In fact, check out their deal on both the mufflers and head pipes without the CAT in them. I really like the price, and how they will appear as stock mufflers. And, you can have any sound you want.

http://www.americancustom.com/

Old 11-22-2011, 02:14 PM
JHC210
Club Member
Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Any comparison to the Jackpot series slip ons? I am pretty sure I am goinf with Fuel Motos stainless header pipe but still researching slip ons. Looking for the deep rumble and noise but want it to quiet down cruising.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:44 PM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Check out American Customs' bomber mufflers for touring models. I'm getting a set as soon as the wife gets finished with Christmas shopping. In fact, check out their deal on both the mufflers and head pipes without the CAT in them. I really like the price, and how they will appear as stock mufflers. And, you can have any sound you want.

http://www.americancustom.com/
I actually installed them last night. The bombers are WAY to loud for me. I put the mid range baffles in and they are little too quite. So I took the left baffle out and kept the right one in. Back to being too loud.

The sound is okay. I just don't love it. Perhaps I should just keep them and perhaps I will learn to love them.

By the way, I also have the De-CATed headers.

Last edited by ArizonaPhil; 11-22-2011 at 04:48 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 04:47 PM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master

Originally Posted by mkguitar
If your catalytic convertor is in place, that is the major effect on sound, so the muffler choice has less influence on the end result.

for no cat headers:

thunderheaders are on the louder end of the spectrum ( most of the Dynas on sons of anarchy have thunder headers)

my Pal has monster ovals, I won't ride close behind him, he likes them- but he never uses his stereo and rides with ear plugs

many pipes project a tinny sound directly to the rear.

I use supertrapp supermegs ( no cat). Screaming Eagle sell 2 versions of these, the nightsick and the fatshots.
Depending on endcap and disc choice these pipes can be quite loud or fairly toned down

I'd suggest you go to bike night or a dealer BBQ ( I think arrowhead is doing something this week).

and see what pipes appeal to you

mike
I understand the line of thinking about going and hearing them yourself. But between work and school, I just have the 3-4 hours to spare. I also know that what sounds great while at idle may have very different manners why going down the highway. That is why I'm looking for personal experiences from riders here on the web.

Old 11-22-2011, 04:51 PM
ArizonaPhil
Road Master

Originally Posted by JHC210
Any comparison to the Jackpot series slip ons? I am pretty sure I am goinf with Fuel Motos stainless header pipe but still researching slip ons. Looking for the deep rumble and noise but want it to quiet down cruising.
I purchased the stage one air cleaner from Jamie at Fuel Moto. I went with the American Custom header (basically stock but with the CAT removed) to save money. I also liked the idea of tuning my mufflers so I went with the American Custom Bombers. I'm now second guessing the mufflers.

But it looks like we are looking for the same type of sound and hwy manners. As for Fuel Moto. I purchased from them in the past. They are great to do business with.

Quick Reply: slipon advice