Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1" lowering blocks on 12' RG custom?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2011, 10:13 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1" lowering blocks on 12' RG custom?

anyone here with any experience running 1" lowering blocks on the rear of a Road Glide Custom or a street Glide ? I am wanting to lower my new bike an inch and I know it has the 1" lower shocks already like the Street glides, and was wondering about travel...bottoming - riding 2 up etc ??? anyone with experience (not just I heard a friend of a friend say /owners manual says etc ) this would be LA Choppers lowering blocks that lower the shocks straight down.. i would use the stock shocks and keep the same angle so ride quality will remain the same its just bottoming , by being 1" lower that concerns me... thanks

Last edited by blockzilla; 11-23-2011 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:19 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

I can't say for sure about 12 but a friend lowered his 09 with shocks & lowering blocks & it rode like crap & bottomed out all the time. IMO, stay away from lowering blocks. Just my 2 cents.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:23 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by blockzilla
anyone here with any experience running 1" lowering blocks on the rear of a Road Glide Custom or a street Glide ? I am wanting to lower my new bike an inch and I know it has the 1" lower shocks already like the Street glides, and was wondering about travel...bottoming - riding 2 up etc ??? anyone with experience (not just I heard a friend of a friend say /owners manual says etc ) thanks
if u put 1 inch lowering blocks will loose your ride i had them until i bought a set of progressive 440s. the 440s actualy ride very well iam happy with them and i have a 11 roadglide custom but the lowering blocks did satisfy me for the time i had them till i rode a bike with 440s good luck on your decision. also i have a road 6custom lowering kit u can have for $15.00 shipped if you want them just thought i would ask so your not out $40.00 or fifty bucks should you want a set.

Old 11-23-2011, 10:49 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant see how "you will lose your ride quality ".... same shocks - same angle exactly.... I have done this previously by lowering my Electraglide, and the ride was Exactly the same , cause its the exact same shock, exact same angle... its just mounted 1" lower.... so like I said bottoming out on this particular model is all I'm concerned about , I have experience doing this option on other model bikes...so I know the ride quality will not change ...If the shocks are different or you change the angle of the shock such as most lowering blocks do , yes then ride quality can and will be affected .....so Roadglide rick .. how much shorter are your progressive shocks than the stock 1" shorter RG custom shocks ? and does it bottom when 2up??

Last edited by blockzilla; 11-23-2011 at 10:52 AM.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Ride quality shouldn't change much. Might bottom.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:17 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just put the Burly 1" blocks on my RK, absolutely no difference in ride, and dosent bottom out. I'm pushin 300 with 20 psi.

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
JIMSFBL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Take your shocks off. Then let your jack down until swing arm or fender bottoms out. Then measure from center to center on your shock bolt holes, should be about 8 3/4" (log it). Measure the shock itself from center of hole to center of hole and subtract the remaining visable stroke (as if the shock was fully compressed and log it).

The difference is how much room you will have before bottoming out when shock is fully compressed. If the diffenerce is 1" or less than yes you will bottom out! If it's more than 1" you will be fine. Don't just take someones word for it. Good luck!

Old 11-23-2011, 11:19 AM
Indianspringsaz
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dup. post...

Last edited by Indianspringsaz; 11-23-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:00 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by KennyMay
Just put the Burly 1" blocks on my RK, absolutely no difference in ride, and dosent bottom out. I'm pushin 300 with 20 psi.
RK and RKC no same same, RKC already 1" shorter shock, add lowering blocks and you are inviting bottoming tire on fender.

Old 11-23-2011, 03:08 PM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I bought a set of the Road6Customs lowering blocks in December of 08 and put them on a new 09 Electra Glide Classic. Used the 1" lower holes and rode two up for a year with no problems with bottoming out. If anything, the ride was better. Put the same blocks on my 08 Ultra Classic. Have the same set on my 2010 RK. Don't see how anybody could say it changes the ride if you use them with the stock shocks? They only change the shock angle maybe 5 percent.

Quick Reply: 1" lowering blocks on 12' RG custom?