Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring box disassembly?

Old 11-25-2011, 07:17 PM
Rickey
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Touring box disassembly?

I am currently stripping the 07 Ultra down to get painted. So far I have the bags, side covers, and lower ferrings off and stripped. I have the touring box stripped about halfway but having a little problem getting the rear light off. I, removed all nuts, including the antennas, removed the side clips and cut all the way around the right side of the silicone. It doesn't look like it is going to budge. Is the outer part of the light 2side taped on also? Is there a trick to getting it out once I get the silicone off the other light? When removing the front ferring, fenders, and gas tank is there anything in particular I should be looking for to keep from messing anything up? As you can tell, this is my first disassembly. Any information would be greatly appreciated. I'll post some pics after I get it all broke down, painted, and back together to show a before and after.

When putting it back together I know I have to rivet the hinges back on. Where could I get the rivet toolk inexpensively since it is not a pop rivet? I was thinking of just using some chrome screws.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Isn't the light attached from inside?
Forget the rivets and rivet tool, get the upgraded hinges from H-D. They are not expensive and are a lot nicer than the stock hinges.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:54 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

My best advice to you is to spend the ~$45 or so to buy the HD Touring model Service Manual for your bike. 99% of what you need to know is in there. Many of the "HELP" threads here are due to mistakes made by not having the information in the service manual. Free internet advice/info is great but often in projects such as yours, it's simply better to have the SM at your fingertips. I remember when I stripped my bike for a complete repaint two years ago the SM was my bible for disassembly and reassembly, particularly the torque values for putting it back together.

As for the rivets, there is no inexpensive tool. You can buy HD's premium tour pak hinge kit so the only rivets to install are the two required for each of the latches that attach to the lid. Small nuts and screws seems like it might work but doesn't because the nuts on the interior side will hit the top edge of the TP bottom. Most folks, myself included, simply take the lid to the dealership and have a tech install the rivets using the dealership's tool since techs usually don't buy such an expensive tool that's limited in its use.

The light bar has some black sealant on the TP side as a water seal, but it's not very strong. If you are having problems getting the light bar loose, it's because you still have more caulk to remove from the light sockets.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 11-26-2011, 12:36 PM
ThunderBueller
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the Deluxe hinges!!

Old 11-26-2011, 01:32 PM
UltraClassicElectraGlide
Road Warrior

Off-thread from what you asked, bust since it was brought up, I also agree on the 'Premium Tour-Pak Hinges' upgrade.

Old 11-26-2011, 02:19 PM
FLHTCU2007Ken
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Deluxe Hinges

Old 11-26-2011, 02:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,736 Likes on 18,543 Posts

Rickey ... The premium hinges do look ( and work ) a lot nicer ... however if you want to use the original hinges ( and I did on my 1992 FLHTCU when I did some fabrication work to the Tour Pak ) I stopped by the local dealer and they let me use their HD Too for installing the rivets ... took like 5 minutes ( and I bought them a twelve pack ) ... As the others have stated, a Service Manual goes a long way in preventing costly mistakes too. Hope this helps !

Old 11-27-2011, 07:27 PM
Rickey
Tourer

Thanks for the replies. I had someone give me the 2009 on digits, which is similar but not quite the same. I think I am just going to go ahead and go pick the manual up pretty soon. I will check the deluxe hinges out at the same time also. I will see if I can work them in the budget. It isn't the best time of year to be worrying about upgrades, the better half and daughter definitely take precedence for all the bull they put up with from me. My wife hates hunting season.