Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best way to store Harly long term

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 04:42 AM
Chris Creole
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to store Harly long term

What's the best way to store a harley for the long term, do i need to drain all gas, oil, and remove the batt?

Old 11-26-2011, 05:01 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,561 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Bunch of threads on this lot of ideas.
First what is meant by long term?
For the most part add stabil to the fuel top off tank
Change oil and lube, Leave battery in hook it up to a Battery tender not a charger.
Makes sure bike is clean a coating of a product like S100 corrosion protacant works well.
It you cover it use a cover that can will allow air to flow.
Seen many stored for year to 18 months on deployments with no problems following the steps listed.

Old 11-26-2011, 05:48 AM
passae
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smitty901
Bunch of threads on this lot of ideas.
First what is meant by long term?
For the most part add stabil to the fuel top off tank
Change oil and lube, Leave battery in hook it up to a Battery tender not a charger.
Makes sure bike is clean a coating of a product like S100 corrosion protacant works well.
It you cover it use a cover that can will allow air to flow.
Seen many stored for year to 18 months on deployments with no problems following the steps listed.
What he said...

....or you could fill her up and use my garage...
Beautiful bike!

Old 11-26-2011, 06:23 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

in addition to the above-for storage more than a few months:

I remove the battery--- zero risk of electrical problems. Trickle charge it on the bench

raise tire off concrete ( I use my lift)

remove sparkplugs, add a little oil to the cylinders, rotate motor a few times by hand ( turn rear wheel, bike in gear) remember to use antiseize on sparkplug threads

drain gas from tank ( tanks need to be stored either all the way empty or all the way full)- seen too many tanks rusted through from the inside

resist the temptation to start bike for short periods while "stored"--- this will only cause condensation inside the motor pipes etc--- it does not do anything to "keep the battery charged"

mike

Old 11-26-2011, 08:13 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 69,903 Likes on 21,306 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Creole
What's the best way to store a harley for the long term, do i need to drain all gas, oil, and remove the batt?
1st: What is your definition of long term?
2nd: Where would you be storing the motorcycle?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 AM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
in addition to the above-for storage more than a few months:

I remove the battery--- zero risk of electrical problems. Trickle charge it on the bench

raise tire off concrete ( I use my lift)

remove sparkplugs, add a little oil to the cylinders, rotate motor a few times by hand ( turn rear wheel, bike in gear) remember to use antiseize on sparkplug threads

drain gas from tank ( tanks need to be stored either all the way empty or all the way full)- seen too many tanks rusted through from the inside

resist the temptation to start bike for short periods while "stored"--- this will only cause condensation inside the motor pipes etc--- it does not do anything to "keep the battery charged"

mike
I second this post but would add that I would use a regular fogging oil that comes in a spray can. It is a little stickier and will stick to the cylinderwalls etc better for longer periods of storage. I would also spray the outside of the engine etc with it as it will keep your aluminum jugs etc from turning white and getting crappy looking. You will have to wash the bike when you pull it out of storage to remove the sticky oil film all over every thing but it will keep things looking good for years. I used to do this with all my snowmobiles when I put them in storage. I would spray all the bare aluminum parts of the motor and clutches, and exhaust and they would still look like they came right out of the crate.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 PM
sandpacker
Cruiser

I put some stabil in the tank let it run for about 5 min to get the stabil in the fuel injection ect.. Took the Battery off the Bike. Put it on a battery tender on the bench!
Aside from that mines in a unheated garage uncovered.

I have heard some say you should leave the bike connected to the battery and then hook the tender up. The way I see it is just removeing the battery removes all worrys...... The worst thing you will have to do is reset your clock........

Old 11-30-2011, 02:26 PM
sandpacker
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lionsm13
1st: What is your definition of long term?
2nd: Where would you be storing the motorcycle?

I cant speak for everone but my idea of longterm storage is 3 - 3.5 months. Dec,Jan,Feb and maybe part of March depending on the temps.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:56 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You could ship it to Fletch's Motorcycle Storage (me) in NC for the winter.

I will ensure that it is well taken care of:

1) Hooked up to a battery tender when not in use
2) Ridden frequently to ensure that it is in proper working condition
3) All required maintenance performed by the local Harley Davidson dealership and billed to you with only a 15% surcharge for delivery to and pickup from the dealership
4) Returned to you washed with a full tank of gas at the start of your next riding season

Hope this helps.

Last edited by FBFletch; 11-30-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:12 PM
robvg
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

Will Pulling the battery 'f' up the memory of ECM maps. I'll be taking mine out so it doesn't freeze but wonder if I'll have to reprogram the ThunderMax in the spring.

Quick Reply: Best way to store Harly long term