Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help with wiring on my Boom Audio system

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2011, 07:52 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I need some help with wiring on my Boom Audio system

Hey guys....got a quick question.

I'm in the middle of installing the Boom Audio cruiser amp and speaker kit and I've run into a bit of a snag. I'm ready to wire it up but I don't want to start cutting wires before I know exactly what I'm cutting and splicing. The directions say,

"Cut the orange/white wire in the main electrical harness near the rear lighting connector."

Here are some pics of what I think is the main electrical harness. The only problem is...there is an orange/white wire in both sides. Which one do I cut? I have the RBT module installed in case you're wondering what the black box is between the halves of the harness. Thanks for your help...

A little closer
Name:  DSC_3101.jpg
Views: 5223
Size:  78.3 KB

Right side of harness. I'm pointing to the orange/white wire
Name:  DSC_3100.jpg
Views: 5631
Size:  73.2 KB

Left side of harness, again pointing to the orange/white wire.
Name:  DSC_3098.jpg
Views: 4909
Size:  73.6 KB

Old 11-28-2011, 08:39 PM
Sandtrap
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Andy,

My wiring was completed by one of the local HD mechanics at the dealership. The wiring was beyond my level of comfort. I also did not have the right tools.

Do you have the service manual for your model/year. If so, look in towards the back and find the wiring diagram. Hopefully you'll be able to figure out exactly what wire needs to get cut.

Old 11-28-2011, 08:45 PM
Maco
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default How I wired my radio

I didn't buy the BOOM, I got this unit: http://ronsmotorcycleradiosystems.com/
It works on the same principle though... I added a y connector (70264-94A) to the accessory harness in front of battery under gas tank and cut into the add on harness. That way the original wiring is not touched. Worked great, 4 wires, ignition hot, ground, hot wired to Acc switch(which needs to be attached in the headlight), and brake activated. Then I ran an always hot lead to the positive terminal of the battery, ran the needed wires under the tank. Now if I want to remove the radio, I just remove the harness, and the lead to battery, and it was never there...

Old 11-28-2011, 10:32 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I installed this same system on my 07 Roadking. I spliced into the harness on the left side. It worked as advertised.

on another note I ended up removing the system and sending it back after about a week. The vibration through the handlebars from the speakers at high volume was terrible.

Old 11-29-2011, 02:43 PM
fenderzig
Road Master

So I talked to my dealer today and his suggestion was to find the orange/white wire coming from the ECU and follow that up under the seat and tap into that wire. Does that sound like it will work? I want to be sure before I cut and splice anything....

Old 11-29-2011, 04:31 PM
Sandtrap
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you resolved the wiring issue? Let me know if you did not. I'll take my seat off and look for the spliced wire and send some pictures. Don't know why I did not think of doing this last night.

Old 11-29-2011, 10:30 PM
fenderzig
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sandtrap
Have you resolved the wiring issue? Let me know if you did not. I'll take my seat off and look for the spliced wire and send some pictures. Don't know why I did not think of doing this last night.
Thanks but I got it! I have tunes on the RKC now. I ended up splicing into the orange/white wire on the right half (when you're looking at the rear wheel) of the rear wire harness. I love it! I appreciate all the help, guys! Stay safe!

Old 02-15-2012, 08:09 PM
Rush Mayhem IV
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

can you post some pics of the complete wiring PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd love you long time!

Old 03-03-2012, 05:31 PM
brainded
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any chance you are still willing to send pics of the splice wiring? I'm stepping a thru the forums and can 't find any complete wiring instructions.

Old 03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
fenderzig
Road Master

Originally Posted by brainded
Any chance you are still willing to send pics of the splice wiring? I'm stepping a thru the forums and can 't find any complete wiring instructions.
I'll take some pics tomorrow and post them up but I will be surprised if they help you at all. I wrapped up the connection in shrink wrap pretty well so there won't be much to see. I'll try to get you something that might help, though.

Quick Reply: I need some help with wiring on my Boom Audio system