Go Back   Harley Davidson Forums > Harley Davidson Motorcycles > Touring Models
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search


Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by: Fuel Moto USA

Reply
 
 
 
P
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 12-04-2011, 09:57 PM
2black1s's Avatar
2black1s 2black1s is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 3,416
Default Rear Wheel Removal - FLHTK

Sometime this coming week I'll be installing a new rear tire on my 2011 Limited. This will be the first time removing the rear wheel for me on this particular bike/model... Just curious - how high will I need to lift the bike to clear the rear fender when removing the wheel?
__________________

2002 Deuce
2011 Ultra Limited
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-04-2011, 10:17 PM
thenewrage's Avatar
thenewrage thenewrage is offline
Road Captain
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 581
Default

As high as you can. How high does your lift go ?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-05-2011, 12:07 AM
roadgliderick's Avatar
roadgliderick roadgliderick is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 2,313
Default

my lift goes 18 inches and its got plenty of height to remove rear tire.
__________________
2011 fltrx sedona orange here we go again. c&c solo seat,stratum collection timer cover derby cover and a/c cover,oil bud oil cooler, trueduals thunder header slip ons,alpine cda 105 head unit,alpine pdx 2150 digital amp, and type r fairing speakers. carlini eval apes 17 inches. thundermax TBW, cool sac grips, chrome harley controls, ness big sucker stage 1 with woods 555s and fuelmoto adjustable rods wheels by sinister 21 in front 18 rear.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-05-2011, 12:21 AM
2black1s's Avatar
2black1s 2black1s is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 3,416
Default

I have both a jack and a lift table. I'd prefer to do the work on the lift table but I'm not sure if I can get the rear wheel high enough on the table. I'm sure I could lift it high enough on my jack, but I don't have complete trust in the jack - It's no pitbull or J&S. That was my reason for asking.

I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks.
__________________

2002 Deuce
2011 Ultra Limited
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 AM
mtclassic's Avatar
mtclassic mtclassic is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,439
Default

I have a sears yellow aluminum jak and it gets plenty high you do not need to get all that high to remove the rear wheel. I have done it many times on my 04 EGC and once on my 2011 RGU. Your rear tire needs to be off the ground 5 or 6 inches and just tilt it to the side and it comes right out, don't forget to remove the rear brake caliper before you start. I was used to doing my 04 and never bothered to look at the sm so I pulled my axle and the realized I need to unbolt the caliper lol.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 AM
2black1s's Avatar
2black1s 2black1s is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 3,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtclassic View Post
I have a sears yellow aluminum jak and it gets plenty high you do not need to get all that high to remove the rear wheel. I have done it many times on my 04 EGC and once on my 2011 RGU. Your rear tire needs to be off the ground 5 or 6 inches and just tilt it to the side and it comes right out, don't forget to remove the rear brake caliper before you start. I was used to doing my 04 and never bothered to look at the sm so I pulled my axle and the realized I need to unbolt the caliper lol.
Thanks, that is exactly what I was looking for. 5 or 6 inches off the ground, or table in my case, shouldn't be a problem.
__________________

2002 Deuce
2011 Ultra Limited
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-05-2011, 07:26 AM
cardboard cardboard is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Livingston, Texas
Posts: 3,732
Default

Take a sharpie and mark the washers on your axle to the swingarm and make sure you see how much play the belt has. This will help you know about where the washer was in reference with the belt play.

It would be nice if you have a torque wrench and a 36mm socket to retorque the axle net to specs.
And when you remove the rear caliper, make sure you use Red locktite to put the screws back in to hold the caliper back in place.

If you have to remove the mufflers use anitseize on the inside of them when puttin the mufflers back on.

Note with the new 180 rear wheel it makes it harder to git the calipers off.
__________________
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...C4D0DB0F-1.jpg

2011 Ultra Limited
107 cu.
Thunder-Max A/T
Jackpot header pipe
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-05-2011, 11:23 AM
2black1s's Avatar
2black1s 2black1s is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Simi Valley, CA
Posts: 3,416
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard View Post
Take a sharpie and mark the washers on your axle to the swingarm and make sure you see how much play the belt has. This will help you know about where the washer was in reference with the belt play.

It would be nice if you have a torque wrench and a 36mm socket to retorque the axle net to specs.
And when you remove the rear caliper, make sure you use Red locktite to put the screws back in to hold the caliper back in place.

If you have to remove the mufflers use anitseize on the inside of them when puttin the mufflers back on.

Note with the new 180 rear wheel it makes it harder to git the calipers off.
Thanks - mostly good advice there although I'll pass on the red loctite for the caliper screws.
__________________

2002 Deuce
2011 Ultra Limited
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-05-2011, 11:25 AM
cardboard cardboard is offline
Elite HDF Member
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Livingston, Texas
Posts: 3,732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2black1s View Post
Thanks - mostly good advice there although I'll pass on the red loctite for the caliper screws.
Read the HD manual.
The screws that hold the calipers to the brace gits red locktite.
Not the screws that go threw the brake pads.
__________________
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u...C4D0DB0F-1.jpg

2011 Ultra Limited
107 cu.
Thunder-Max A/T
Jackpot header pipe
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
mtclassic's Avatar
mtclassic mtclassic is offline
Outstanding HDF Member
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,439
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardboard View Post
Read the HD manual.
The screws that hold the calipers to the brace gits red locktite.
Not the screws that go threw the brake pads.
I have a 2011 factory sm and it says nothing about using red loctite, I have never used it and never had an issue. I do torq to proper torq tho.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 12:59 PM
 
 
 
P
Reply


Tags
2011, bagger, change, davidson, deuce, electra, flhtk, glide, harley, rear, removal, remove, tire, touring, wheel


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Join HDForums

Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory
Sponsors

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:16 PM.


Internet Brands, Inc.