Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCv issue?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 08:01 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PCv issue?

Hi all,

I have a FLHTP (Electra Glide Police) 2011.

Got the package from fuel moto (Jackpot, fuel moto breather and pcv)... I was very happy with this setup on my 08 FLHRC...

Anyway... I was having an issue on low RPM, when I give it full throttle, the bike sputters or sort of hicups and i get a bit of back fire...

So I did a dyno on it hoping to get it fixed, it just made it worse...

Now, the PCv came with a map from Fuel Moto, my question is, are these maps suitable for both European spec HDs as well as American specs? or is there a difference?

Has anyone had similar issues?

I disconnected the PCv and the bike ran fine... so it is definitely the PCv.

any advise or tips would be highly appreciated... I also contacted Jamie from Fuel Moto and hoping for a solution otherwise it just might be a faulty unit :S

Old 12-05-2011, 12:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I don't know about how HDI models differ from US-spec bikes, but I would call FM and ask for Jamie. He'll get you fixed.

Old 12-05-2011, 12:28 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Originally Posted by coliseum
Hi all,

Got the package from fuel moto (Jackpot, fuel moto breather and pcv)... I was very happy with this setup on my 08 FLHRC...

Anyway... I was having an issue on low RPM, when I give it full throttle, the bike sputters or sort of hicups and i get a bit of back fire...

Now, the PCv came with a map from Fuel Moto, my question is, are these maps suitable for both European spec HDs as well as American specs? or is there a difference?

any advise or tips would be highly appreciated... I also contacted Jamie from Fuel Moto and hoping for a solution otherwise it just might be a faulty unit :S
As noted it is likely in the tune on your European bike and we would be happy help out. Without knowing what the dyno tuner changed I would recommend emailing me a copy of the map so I can take a look at it and we can go from there.

Jamie Long / Fuel Moto USA
The USA's Leader V-Twin EFI & Performance www.fuelmotousa.com
Contact 920-423-3309
Email jamie@fuelmotousa.com

Old 12-05-2011, 12:39 PM
ndnguyd
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Interesting, Mine has the same problem, had the hick-up put it on a dyno and now runs worse. Took the pcv off the bike it runs perfect. Now that its winter cant do anything till spring but will be contacting Jamie since I purchased it from him. Have not been happy with the pcv from day one. pc111 was great on the 2001 Road King. (?)

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM
hopperop
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

Let us know how this turns out.

Old 12-06-2011, 10:19 AM
coliseum
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Update.... been working on this issue non stop...

Believe it or not, it was the HD Dealer that did the installation for me (PCv, Jackpots and FM AC)... guess what i just found...............

The O2 sensors where still connected!!!

Part of the testing we did to find out of it was a problem with the PCv was to load ZERO values into it... and yes, it was still cutting off when i give it full throttle at low RPM. so i finally disconnected the PCV for now...

Would having the PCv with the O2 sensors connected cause all these problems? I emailed Jamie... lets see... tomorrow morning i am Dynoing it again... will update you!

I am running without the PCv now and the bike is fine...

This is so frustrating

Old 12-06-2011, 01:21 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not positive on this but I don't think the PCV is designed to run in conjunction with the O2 sensors. I think the PCV will feed O2 values to the ECU in lieu of the O2 sensors. Now, these values will be based solely on the map loaded into the PCV and they won't adjust unless you get the auto tuner.

I had an 09 Streetbob with a PCV from Fuel Moto. I plugged my O2 ports in the pipes and capped off my O2 sensor wires and the bike ran perfectly with just the PCV's map. I would guess that is your problem but wait to get confirmation from someone else as I'm not positive

Old 12-06-2011, 02:24 PM
amabeetle
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it right, and the PCv on 103 police works great! I have one with FM map and couldn't be happier. I would stay away from dealer and their dyno and the expense involved and get auto tune! Just my humble opinion on a public board. )

Old 12-06-2011, 02:53 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Believe it or not, it was the HD Dealer that did the installation for me (PCv, Jackpots and FM AC)... guess what i just found...............The O2 sensors where still connected!!!
It's okay for them to be installed in the header pipe, but not connected electronically. That would be a recipe for problems.

Part of the testing we did to find out of it was a problem with the PCv was to load ZERO values into it... and yes, it was still cutting off when i give it full throttle at low RPM. so i finally disconnected the PCV for now...

Would having the PCv with the O2 sensors connected cause all these problems? I emailed Jamie... lets see... tomorrow morning i am Dynoing it again... will update you!

I would check for bent pins on the connectors, as this can sometimes happen when installed. It's possible the PCV is faulty, although that's a long-shot, so I would contact Fuel Moto for their recommendations. If they replace it install it yourself, as it's a very easy plug-and-play installation. There is likely no need at this time to perform a dyno-tune, if that's what you are planning or have already done at the dealer. FM's maps are generally very accurate and a dyno-tune is not usually required.

If it isn't too late, call FM before letting that dealer mess with your bike again!

Old 12-06-2011, 03:09 PM
fuelmoto
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,108 Likes on 1,340 Posts

Update.... been working on this issue non stop...

Believe it or not, it was the HD Dealer that did the installation for me (PCv, Jackpots and FM AC)... guess what i just found...............

The O2 sensors where still connected!!!

This is so frustrating
The O2 sensors cannot be plugged in as the ECM will try to tune against the PC-V. This is very likely the problem with your tune. The Dyno operator should have noticed this immediately when he was tuning and the ECM was "uncorrecting" his edits. What has happened is that your factory calibration is now skewed because the O2 sensor feedback made the ECM try to untune what the PC-V is doing and it has made adaptive adjustments to the base ECM calibration. Basically the ECM calibration is now different than it was originally as these AFV's are stored in the background of the cal. The HD dealer can reset them, or you can simply have the bike retuned with the PC-V around your base map.

Quick Reply: PCv issue?