Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 05:54 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by HD Jim
I finally got off my butt and rode with the FCS and HD oil cooler on my SG! Not being an tech wiz by any means; I was able to see/feel a noticeable degree in temps and soon I will have the thermo switch too !

Going down IH35 at 75-80 mph was a snap! And stop and go traffic in downtown Austin ?
Never so much as a hiccup temp wise from my mostly stock 96" In town is where the FCS came into its own !!

The FCS works wonders on my SG... will it work as well on my wife's Nightster also ? Just for her piece of mind
I just picked up the OEM mounts for the sportster, looking at the models that come with the horn mounted with a 2 piece mount, I believe the mount half can be flipped upside down to move the fans into the best position for cooling. Like the horn mounts, I'm sure it can be done, just got to work out the details. I'll be working with one of they guys at work to mount to his sporty, I'll post here how it works out.

Old 08-23-2012, 09:33 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

(Clearing throat) ahhh mini beast mounting solution. Well I wanted to be the one thousand first post but you beat me to it, should we just go ahead now and order the thermal switch?

Old 08-23-2012, 09:44 PM
jaymiller5
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my FCS a few weeks ago, great product for sure with a great fit/finish. Since installing it I have gone into Baltimore for stop/go traffic to really test it out and the EITMS kicked on without effort. Turned the FCS on for the way back through town for all the lights and EITMS never kicked in. I would say that is a great testament to how well the product works!!

Old 08-23-2012, 10:06 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Just sitting and waiting for the thermal switch, I will definitely be buying one.

Old 08-23-2012, 10:21 PM
TheBobs
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

+1 on the thermal switch. In the meantime I'll just install my Jagg fan assist cooler.

Old 08-24-2012, 07:09 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by captainjack
(Clearing throat) ahhh mini beast mounting solution. Well I wanted to be the one thousand first post but you beat me to it, should we just go ahead now and order the thermal switch?
Sometimes I just get lucky, I found the guy who actually used to make the OEM HD damper mount for the horn, before they started sourcing them from overseas. Anyway, I got some alternative damper samples coming, which I think will not only be the best solution mechanically, but probably the cheapest as well. Im pretty sure this will be my solution whether I go with a standard or custom damper. Be patient guys, I am working this stuff, and I will provide some alternative mounting solutions for some of the aftermarket horns.

Also got a call from one of the chrome shops today, it will be about about 2 weeks before I get their sample back. More to follow.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If only everyone I conducted business with was as through and dedicated as you are the world would be a much better place for me

Old 08-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by captainjack
If only everyone I conducted business with was as through and dedicated as you are the world would be a much better place for me
+1 I love good ole American ingenuity !

Old 08-24-2012, 09:42 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've noticed something with mine that I haven't seen mentioned here. Not only do I get the added cooling benefits, but now when I get gas, I leave my fans on and don't get the dreaded kickback/grinding from the starter on a hot restart. (FM 107 build) I replaced the comp with the SE comp, which took care of probably 70% of the kickback problems....but the cooling fans took care of another 20% or so. No more embarrassing grinding noises at the gas station. (you know, the ones that turn everyones heads to the source of the God awful noise)

Old 08-25-2012, 01:11 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
I've noticed something with mine that I haven't seen mentioned here. Not only do I get the added cooling benefits, but now when I get gas, I leave my fans on and don't get the dreaded kickback/grinding from the starter on a hot restart. (FM 107 build) I replaced the comp with the SE comp, which took care of probably 70% of the kickback problems....but the cooling fans took care of another 20% or so. No more embarrassing grinding noises at the gas station. (you know, the ones that turn everyones heads to the source of the God awful noise)
Once you kill the fire and leave the fans running, it only takes 2 minutes to knock down about 50 degrees, I can see where it could mitigate some of the hard hot starts.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again