Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Old 07-28-2014, 07:00 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 106 Posts

Made it to sturgis, first ride with the fans. They worked great until the thermal switch crapped out after about 900 miles. The fan stays on unless I turn it off with the manual switch.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:00 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hog95023
Made it to sturgis, first ride with the fans. They worked great until the thermal switch crapped out after about 900 miles. The fan stays on unless I turn it off with the manual switch.
Sorry about the switch failure, it happens to some users, that's why I changed to different switch. Send me an email when you are ready for me to take care of it. The good new is the fans still work, they just have to be temporarily controlled manually until the switch can be replace.

Old 07-28-2014, 08:28 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
Sorry about the switch failure, it happens to some users, that's why I changed to different switch. Send me an email when you are ready for me to take care of it. The good new is the fans still work, they just have to be temporarily controlled manually until the switch can be replace.
thanks. I will email you when I get back.

Will the fan melt if I don't turn in on long enough after i stop? Or will it hold up ok? Also will you be sending the new switch or the same type push in model?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:42 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Same thing with mine. I had a new switch within 2 days. To be honest I haven't taken the time to change it out yet as it's no big deal to flip the switch.

I think these fans are GREAT! I highly recommend them.

Rick

Old 07-28-2014, 08:44 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

thanks. I will email you when I get back.

Will the fan melt if I don't turn in on long enough after i stop? Or will it hold up ok? Also will you be sending the new switch or the same type push in model?

If you can let it run for at least a couple minutes after shutdown that would be better than not at all, but the fans won't melt if you don't. long term exposure to the high temps during post operation heat soak and running the engine without running the fans is what can cause issues with fan circuit board components. If you have an address where you are staying at Sturgis I can get a new switch to you. I'll send the new snap switch, the creep switch is discontinued. Holler.

Old 07-28-2014, 09:35 PM
hog95023
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
If you can let it run for at least a couple minutes after shutdown that would be better than not at all, but the fans won't melt if you don't. long term exposure to the high temps during post operation heat soak and running the engine without running the fans is what can cause issues with fan circuit board components. If you have an address where you are staying at Sturgis I can get a new switch to you. I'll send the new snap switch, the creep switch is discontinued. Holler.
I appreciate it. I will wait until I get home. Got a few lookers on the way here at various fuel stops. I passed out some of the cards you sent. The chrome really looks nice. My dad is using the black set I got from you and never put on. His looks great too.

Old 07-28-2014, 10:02 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

My congrats to all the people out there who study the heat issues and apply their fixes to the problems. that has got to be a long, lony battle in which they expend a lot of time and money.

But, I have got to wonder why some of this knowledge has not been used by the MOCO in their quest for the same thing. Obviously, they have the resources and motivation to experiment far beyond the resources of the average man. Surely, they have duplicated some of these devices and methods in their search for cooling the air cooled motorcycle.
Granted, they have made a half assed attempt in their introduction of partially cooled heads around the exhaust valve, but that doesn't win them many cigars.

Old 07-29-2014, 08:11 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 574 Likes on 416 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
My congrats to all the people out there who study the heat issues and apply their fixes to the problems. that has got to be a long, lony battle in which they expend a lot of time and money.

But, I have got to wonder why some of this knowledge has not been used by the MOCO in their quest for the same thing. Obviously, they have the resources and motivation to experiment far beyond the resources of the average man. Surely, they have duplicated some of these devices and methods in their search for cooling the air cooled motorcycle.
Granted, they have made a half assed attempt in their introduction of partially cooled heads around the exhaust valve, but that doesn't win them many cigars.
HD did a parade fan option years ago. Probably still available? Their solution had problems with broken mounts from vibration/fatigue.

Old 07-30-2014, 11:58 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Hammz
HD did a parade fan option years ago. Probably still available? Their solution had problems with broken mounts from vibration/fatigue.
Yes, I remember that ill advised venture. It was about as effective as trying to push a pint of water around the exhaust valves in an attempt to cool off hot heads. A novel approach, maybe, but not a very effective one for the long run. Both the fan and the water cooled heads are as effective as putting "you know whats" on a boar hog. While they may look nice, neither is very effective. Good thing this is not in the Rushmore thread cause those guy would think I have committed heresy. I guess I just don't like Kool-Aid.

Old 07-30-2014, 12:38 PM
Bagger_Vance
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I continue to love my fans and will not ride another Harley without them. I had a problem with the original switch and Jason sent me the new style immediately and all has been roses and kittens since. All of my friends are jealous of the fans but too cheap to pony up a couple Benjamins, which is their loss. Keep up the good work, Jason!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again