Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 12:57 PM
RoadKingCop
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't help but think that those little fans directed at the spark-plugs is simply cooling the SENSORS instead of the engine.

Ben

Old 07-30-2014, 02:53 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop
I can't help but think that those little fans directed at the spark-plugs is simply cooling the SENSORS instead of the engine.

Ben
The fans aren't directed at the spark plugs, they are directed at the cross flow port behind the spark plugs and the combustion chamber area, the spark plugs just happen to be in the way. The sensor reads the head temp so yes it is cooling the sensors by cooling the head. The fans don't just cool the temp sensor externally to create the "illusion" of cooling, besides the sensor doesn't work that way, the RTD probe is about an inch below the external surface of the head, and the general process of thermal transfer would not allow it to work that way either.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:02 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by RoadKingCop

Ben
Ben, I have a oil temp. gauge mounted in my inner fairing. I can easily see if the fans are on or not by looking at that gauge reading after riding a while. I have seen 30 degree difference in oil temp. before with fans on vs. manually turning them off. Believe it or not, my oil temp runs cooler in city traffic with the fans on than it does running 80 mph down the slab.

Old 07-30-2014, 03:06 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Retrop
Yes, I remember that ill advised venture. It was about as effective as trying to push a pint of water around the exhaust valves in an attempt to cool off hot heads. A novel approach, maybe, but not a very effective one for the long run. Both the fan and the water cooled heads are as effective as putting "you know whats" on a boar hog. While they may look nice, neither is very effective. Good thing this is not in the Rushmore thread cause those guy would think I have committed heresy. I guess I just don't like Kool-Aid.
I rigged up my dual thermocouple data logger to 3 different water cooled bikes, 2 had problems and the water system was not working as designed but the 3rd worked like a charm. When it works correctly, the Twin Cooled heads work very well, even better than fan system. Gotta keep in mind the first iteration of anything new will likely demonstrate room for improvement. I didn't have enough time with the bikes for a comprehensive evaluation; on the highway the head temps stayed down in the 225-235 range, I noticed the temp started to creep up in traffic after the highway leg but I don't know how high they will get. I broke my data logger and waiting on repairs. I may bump up to a more robust system to capture oil temp and ambient temp along with both heads, I just don't want the charts to get to "busy" with trace lines.

Old 07-30-2014, 05:36 PM
WKNDS
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,265 Likes on 931 Posts

Originally Posted by Bagger_Vance
I continue to love my fans and will not ride another Harley without them. I had a problem with the original switch and Jason sent me the new style immediately and all has been roses and kittens since. All of my friends are jealous of the fans but too cheap to pony up a couple Benjamins, which is their loss. Keep up the good work, Jason!
I hear ya - I'm still contemplating adding the FCS to my ol' ladies '13 Iron.
Love the FCS on my Slim. I've got a jagg oil cooler on the Iron, but I still
want to add an oil cooler to the Slim (got most of the parts, but its still in
the works)

T.

Old 08-11-2014, 02:39 PM
override
Tourer
Received 58 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Wardspartswerks Cooling Fan "Review"

First off I am not sure if this is the correct place persay to put this but I figure if need be a moderator can move it to the correct thread.

Since I have owned my bike (im the second owner) it has had problems with running extremely hot (in my opinon) and when I have asked the dealership about it they questions where I got my temp readings from and then told me the temps I am seeing are "normal operating temps". I was seeing on average 240-250 degree temps at 70-75 mph cruising speeds and as soon as I hit a town with a stop light within 5 mins would be hitting 280 degrees. Around San Antonio rush hour times I had been into limp mode several times, with a few times having to shut off my bike.

I started looking to invest in an oil cooler but realized that it would do no good with stop-n-go traffic. So I started researching cooling fans and came down to either the Wards fan or the Jims forceflow. I did not like the idea of having to relocate my horn with other options that are out there and I did not like the LeNale and similar ones that would blow between the cylinders and cook your right leg. Also to help support the forum and in a way give back for the help I have received through the forums I opted for the Wards fan.

Package was shipped super fast, I think I got it in about 4 days. It was packaged very well, install instructions are very well explained and best of all it is super simple to install! The hardest part by far was having to let the RTV set up for 24 hours before I could even start the bike and test the fans.

Alright so I rode for an entire day (on and off ofcourse) through the hill country, 2up with my girl and managed to have some decent stop light wait times in San Marcos and San Anto. I don't know what the temp was that day other than freaking hot and at cruising speeds I would run an average 234-244 degrees and at stop lights the temps seemed to level off at around 241-243 degrees.

I am very impressed with this product, the fit and finish is spot on! Craftsmanship seems to be on par with a product that will last for years and years. So to anyone looking for a cooling fan option I can say that this is for sure the way to go

Thanks to Jason for making a great product and having what seems to be awesome customer support, which is in my opinon, the start to a company that will outlast the rest.

Name:  DSC03480_zpsb832af23.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  45.8 KB

Name:  DSC03481_zps0b84800d.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  46.9 KB

Name:  DSC03482_zpsbeb6a749.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  41.9 KB

Name:  DSC03484_zps5daebd91.jpg
Views: 100
Size:  41.8 KB

Name:  DSC03483_zps855da7c2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  44.3 KB

Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 AM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've used Jason's fans for three years and am very impressed with the cooling abilities. I had them mounted on my 2010 SG with a FM 107 kit.

I recently upgraded to a 2014 SG and transferred my fans to the new bike. The fans work fine but the horn is very muffled and can barely be heard while riding. If I remove the fans from the horn mount the sound of the horn returns to normal. Did I do something wrong? I hooked them up exactly like I did on the 2010. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-2014, 11:51 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stevemucha1
I've used Jason's fans for three years and am very impressed with the cooling abilities. I had them mounted on my 2010 SG with a FM 107 kit.

I recently upgraded to a 2014 SG and transferred my fans to the new bike. The fans work fine but the horn is very muffled and can barely be heard while riding. If I remove the fans from the horn mount the sound of the horn returns to normal. Did I do something wrong? I hooked them up exactly like I did on the 2010. Any help would be appreciated.
The two 1/4" screws supplied with the fans are a little longer than the stock horn screws. They require the two spacers (nuts) installed to space the horn out a little so the fan will fit between the horn and mount. Make sure one of the screw ends are not contacting the horn when you tightened it up. I believe it is the bottom screw that sometimes requires to be ground off a fraction of a inch.

Old 08-24-2014, 03:40 PM
stevemucha1
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
The two 1/4" screws supplied with the fans are a little longer than the stock horn screws. They require the two spacers (nuts) installed to space the horn out a little so the fan will fit between the horn and mount. Make sure one of the screw ends are not contacting the horn when you tightened it up. I believe it is the bottom screw that sometimes requires to be ground off a fraction of a inch.

Thanks that did the trick. I didn't have the original spacers but a quick trip to the hardware store worked.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:43 AM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by crazycrazy
Another plug for Jason's fans. They work great and the new switch works like a charm. Here is a pic of mine.

I also have these finned head bolt covers and have been thinking about the air flow as well. I know if I asked Jason he would give an honest opinion and may reply to this as well but I am considering drilling out the decorative HD symbol on the covers completely and clearancing the lowest edge of the cover directly behind the fans. I have also considered a few more holes around the plug area of the cover thus retaining my version of a clean headbolt area using these. I'm aware that I may reduce the airflow around the plug but with that decorative HD symbol drilled out the air may quite possibly be more direct to the plug and increase flow to the through port. No engineer here, just pondering.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again