Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 01:13 PM
RIDERED67
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I continue to be impressed with Wards fans on my twin cams and I wont own a other twin cam without. I just put my 2013 Ultra through 2 weeks in Floridia heat through biketoberfest and it performed flawlessly. Never kicked down to 1 cylinder even through some moderate idle time in and out of traffic. Temps were about 78-89 degrees F.

I did stand and watch the lovejug disay at rosmyers HD for about 15 min. The had an ultra classic with lovejugs which had supposedly been idling for 9 straight hours and the engine temp was showing 280 something. My temps dont break 260ish with my fcs fans in stop and go traffic, granted ive never let it idle all day. Non scientific for sure but the fcs def look better!

Old 10-23-2014, 01:34 PM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by treefiddy
I also have these finned head bolt covers and have been thinking about the air flow as well. I know if I asked Jason he would give an honest opinion and may reply to this as well but I am considering drilling out the decorative HD symbol on the covers completely and clearancing the lowest edge of the cover directly behind the fans. I have also considered a few more holes around the plug area of the cover thus retaining my version of a clean headbolt area using these. I'm aware that I may reduce the airflow around the plug but with that decorative HD symbol drilled out the air may quite possibly be more direct to the plug and increase flow to the through port. No engineer here, just pondering.
One of the primary functions of the FCS is to move extra air through the port in the head, removing heat almost directly from the combustion chamber. Blocking that port will reduce the cooling effect, even opening up the head bridge covers by drilling and relieving will still leave a lot of blockage to the fan air. I cant offer a value to the cooling impact of head bridge covers yet, but I will put it to the real world test with the data logger once my hernia heals completely.

Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I looked at the finned plug filler. Have used em in the past. I would think the extra fins would help with cooling. But then again it may be just a brain fart. LOl
I am using the ward fans and they work well.
Got stuck in stop and go on a trip a few months ago. 12 miles and took 2 hours to get it done. The fans did the trick for keeping the heat under control. It never went into heat mode. I was having some slight heat on my right leg but no where like it would have been. I would have had to pull over and let it cool if I did not have had the ward fans.
I use mine manually. When just riding I keep em off.
They have paid for themselves in one summer as I see it.
This is with a CVO 110 street glide.

Last edited by dirtdobber; 10-23-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 02:42 PM
treefiddy
Road Master
Received 29 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
One of the primary functions of the FCS is to move extra air through the port in the head, removing heat almost directly from the combustion chamber. Blocking that port will reduce the cooling effect, even opening up the head bridge covers by drilling and relieving will still leave a lot of blockage to the fan air. I cant offer a value to the cooling impact of head bridge covers yet, but I will put it to the real world test with the data logger once my hernia heals completely.
Thanks again Jason for the replies, I will not use the head bolt covers at the expense of reducing the value of the system you're about to send me so I'm considering modifying them. I like their look and if they are of no benefit other than that then I may as well try some way to "open" them up or use them as garage Ornaments. Either way the WPW FCS will ride with me. Thanks again.

Old 03-02-2015, 04:33 PM
bromanbdc
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Head covers

I am also very interested in your tests with the head covers. I purchased the fans and installed on my 2013 Heritage brand new. I then purchased coil over plugs, which have the fins that fill in the hole. Love the fans, and all of your hard work and research! Thank you.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:41 PM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Wishing you a speedy recovery Jason!

Old 03-02-2015, 08:54 PM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DHubbs
Wishing you a speedy recovery Jason!
Did I miss something?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:49 AM
WARDSPARTSWERKS
Banned
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Brick0044
Did I miss something?
Just a delayed thread response; I had a double hernia repair surgery a few months ago, all healed up now.
Thanks all, I appreciate your concern for my well being!
Jason

Old 03-03-2015, 03:46 AM
DHubbs
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
Just a delayed thread response; I had a double hernia repair surgery a few months ago, all healed up now.
Thanks all, I appreciate your concern for my well being!
Jason
Dang, sorry I didn't look at the date on your post,,, Glad to hear your feeling better.

Old 05-02-2015, 06:44 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

Jason,

Glad that you are all healed up. Just sent in my deposit to get a set. This will give me something else to install on the bike before Sturgis.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again