Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 04:06 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WARDSPARTSWERKS
"On demand" and "when needed users"
[FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3]
Guilty, I'll get off my a$$ and put the switch in.

Rick

Old 06-17-2015, 04:29 PM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

My wife and I have always used the thermal switches on our rides and let the fans do their job. You don't even think about them after awhile. The only time I shut them down is if I'm riding in the rain. Thanks for a great product that works well.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:29 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

I recently installed wards elec cooling fans & an ultracool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans both beingthermostatically controlled which collectively working together reduced oil temp (engine temp too but dont know by how much) on an 89 deg deg day from 30-50 deg + depending on traffic cond and or when at cruise which made a big diff in how the motor perf/felt.

The oil & motor running much cooler on my bike resulted in:

BTW - (MY BIKE'S A STOCK 09 WITH TWC 96")

* MOTOR RETAINING BETTER CRISPER THROTTLE RESPONSE.

* MOTOR RETAINED MORE POWER.

* MOTOR STOPPED DETONATING ON THE REC 91 OCTANE FUEL.

* VALVETRAIN WAS QUIETER.

* OIL PRESSURE IMPROVED QUITE A LOT NOW HOLDING STEADY AT 16-17LBS @ 950-1K RPM IDLE & 45-50LBS AT CRUISE @ APPROX 2500RPM IN 89 DEG HEAT .

PRIOR TO INSTALLING THE 2 COOLING SYSTEMS OIL PRESSURE USED TO RUN QUITE A BIT LOWER BEING 8-10LBS AT HOT IDLE & 35-37 LBS AT HOT CRUISE IN SAME 85-89 DEG OUTSIDE TEMP.

NOTE: ABOVE STATED OIL PRESSURES ARE WITH SPECTRO HVY DTY 20W-50 STD DINO .

EVEN WITH THE 2 COOLING SYSTEMS ON MY BIKE IF I WAS TO RUN SYN 20W-50 BIKE OIL HOT OIL PRESSURE RUNS QUITE A BIT LOWER THEN IT DOES WITH THE STD DINO WITH BOTH BEING SAME 20W-50 GRADE BIKE OIL.

BTW,i see some posts here suggesting remap efi richer and reduce temp 25+ deg.

Even with lean factory fuel calibration for emissions richening it up a bit wont lower engine a lot like 25+deg thats being stated here,maybe 5-10 deg or so but not 25deg unless maybe someone screwed around with a tuner making the motor significantly leaner then stock HD fuel map for emissions along with removing cat converter if bike has one too.

Scott

Old 06-25-2015, 10:12 AM
Texasblues
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Wards Parts Werks - cooling fans

I installed Wards Parts Werks cooling fans and low temperature thermostat (WPW160) this past Thursday on my 2011 RKC and then rode for about 300 miles. I gotta tell you that I'm extremely pleased with the products and the cooling effect this combination has on my bike. The fit/finish and attention to detail of the fans is exceptional. I think everybody should add these to their bike. It has been a pleasure dealing with Jason and I appreciate his patience in answering some of my simple questions. BTW, I recommend carrying several of Jason's business cards with you when riding. I pulled in Fort Worth Harley Davidson last Saturday morning and it took 30 minutes for me to get inside the store. The first 30 minutes were spent handing out business cards to six other riders and telling them about the fans... good stuff!

Attached Thumbnails Built the best engine cooling system...again-20150617_195642.jpg  
Old 06-25-2015, 01:15 PM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Texasblues
I installed Wards Parts Werks cooling fans and low temperature thermostat (WPW160) this past Thursday on my 2011 RKC and then rode for about 300 miles. I gotta tell you that I'm extremely pleased with the products and the cooling effect this combination has on my bike. The fit/finish and attention to detail of the fans is exceptional. I think everybody should add these to their bike. It has been a pleasure dealing with Jason and I appreciate his patience in answering some of my simple questions. BTW, I recommend carrying several of Jason's business cards with you when riding. I pulled in Fort Worth Harley Davidson last Saturday morning and it took 30 minutes for me to get inside the store. The first 30 minutes were spent handing out business cards to six other riders and telling them about the fans... good stuff!

You will probably see even more improvement if you remove the chrome covers at the spark plugs.

Old 06-25-2015, 04:13 PM
Texasblues
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by shadowchrome
You will probably see even more improvement if you remove the chrome covers at the spark plugs.
Appreciate that suggestion shadowchrome... thanks.

Old 07-22-2015, 01:32 PM
insertname
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how about witht he plug covers that are fined like the heads?

Old 07-23-2015, 03:06 PM
Scott Hall
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Any cover around the spark plug area is going to reduce the fans effectiveness. There is an air passage directly behind the sparkplug that travels across to the other side of the head below the pushrod tubes and intersects a cooling passage running front to back in each head. These fans blow a steady stream of cool air through these passages to cool the heads. The cover obstructs or completely blocks the air passage where the fans flow if directed. When people ask me what the fan whirr is when I park the bike I tell them to put their hand in front of the front frame downtubes to feel the air flow. The amount of air being pushed through these passages is amazing. I just installed mine and they are amazing. Just ordered a Jagg 10 row fan assisted low mount oil cooler and the Wards 140 thermostat.

Old 08-22-2015, 09:04 PM
MarcV125
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys, just wanted to give a quick update on these fans..Ive had them on for close to 3 years now and have performed flawlessly. I have gone through one of his original head temp switches, that he has sensed replaced with a "snap" switch, that automatically turns the fans on and off based on a predetermined head temperature. That older switch had failed on me and he sent me the newer version no questions asked, no charge. Recently, i most likely had zip-tied the wires to tight and had pulled out one of the wires from the snap switch.
I emailed Jason because i had wanted to purchase his thermostat since i had recently had a cam change and added some compression. Temps had been hovering right around 230 in 90+ stop and go, and would stay steady , but i would like to see around the 210 -220 mark..Anyways, i emailed Jason, purchased the thermostat and asked to purchased another snap switch for the head. Well i received an email right away with a invoice for the thermostat and a no charge "warranty" snap switch. Mind you this was most likely my fault for having everything zip-tied to tightly. Anyways fast forward today when i received the thermostat and switch. Not only did he not charge me for the switch but he also sent 2 of them...! I don't think it was a mistake , (Jason if it was i can send one back !) But dealing with him the past few years i highly doubt it was..
Good business is hard to come by nowadays and i just like to give praise for not only a great product, but a person who really stands behind his product.
Thanks again Jason,
Marc

Old 08-22-2015, 10:01 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcV125
Hey guys, just wanted to give a quick update on these fans..Ive had them on for close to 3 years now and have performed flawlessly. I have gone through one of his original head temp switches, that he has sensed replaced with a "snap" switch, that automatically turns the fans on and off based on a predetermined head temperature. That older switch had failed on me and he sent me the newer version no questions asked, no charge. Recently, i most likely had zip-tied the wires to tight and had pulled out one of the wires from the snap switch.
I emailed Jason because i had wanted to purchase his thermostat since i had recently had a cam change and added some compression. Temps had been hovering right around 230 in 90+ stop and go, and would stay steady , but i would like to see around the 210 -220 mark..Anyways, i emailed Jason, purchased the thermostat and asked to purchased another snap switch for the head. Well i received an email right away with a invoice for the thermostat and a no charge "warranty" snap switch. Mind you this was most likely my fault for having everything zip-tied to tightly. Anyways fast forward today when i received the thermostat and switch. Not only did he not charge me for the switch but he also sent 2 of them...! I don't think it was a mistake , (Jason if it was i can send one back !) But dealing with him the past few years i highly doubt it was..
Good business is hard to come by nowadays and i just like to give praise for not only a great product, but a person who really stands behind his product.
Thanks again Jason,
Marc
===========================

Same here,the automatic / snap sw went bad on my Wards fans approx 5 months after installing the fans & snap sw and Jason also reolaced it @ NC to me.

Other then that little hickup the wards fans are a very well designed & thought out product have worked great and are a great compliment to an Ultracool oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans too .

Both those cooling system mods on my 09 w-stock 96" reduced oil temp 50+ deg on hot summer 95= deg HHH days which resulted in multiple perf benefits right off the bat.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 08-22-2015 at 10:05 PM.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again