Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Built the best engine cooling system...again

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 12:44 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sent a deposit to Jason yesterday. Also just ordered a new fan-assisted Jagg (751-FP2400). Looking forward to installing these products when I receive them.

Old 08-30-2015, 08:47 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by wscott
====================

Just an FYI,the Jagg/wards type cooling fans do a good job of addressing heat from heads and upper cyls do a good job in that area.

But to properly / fully address the heat issues HD have you must also at the same time install an oil cooler with dual elec cooling fans like an Ultracool oil cooler along with the wards cooling which i did on my bike which reduces oil temp 50+ deg.

The wards fans alone cant reduce temp 50+ deg ,its both those cooling systems working collectively together at the same that reduced oil temp 50+ deg on my bike which the wards cooling fans cant do by themselves .

So dont expect more then the wards or for that matter jag type design cooling fan deisngs can deliver.

I say that because without also installing an oil cooler with elec cooling fans to address oil overheating (oil is also a significant part of cooling an HD motor!) in stopped traffic or in slow traffic your leaving a lot of additional cooling and comfort on the table to address the excessive heat generated sitting still in traffic or at slow speeds on a hot day.

Collectively working together as team those 2 cooling systems literally kick butt reducing oil temp 50+ deg on my 09 flhtcu which resulted in multiple positive improvements in engine perf & riding comfort right off the bat i already posted earlier in this thread.

Its a shame many people think the additional cooling isnt needed on the HD's when in reality it is and they are missing many yrs & miles of more comfortable riding and happier running motor too.

Scott

Scott
That may be the case if you have a bike with NO oil cooler whatsover. The Ward's FCS system was all I needed. I did have a 2011 FLHTK that does have a factory oil cooler but I routinely got stuck in traffic and overheated. The Ward's fans took care of my overheating problems completely. I no longer had to pull over EVER to let it cool off. As a matter of fact, when I had to stop, the temps started dropping not increasing. No question the cooler the better but the PROBLEM of overheating was in my case solved with the Ward's FCS. Would they have worked as well if I had no oil cooler? I doubt it, but if you have a standard HD oil cooler I don't think it's necessary to buy an aftermarket oil cooler too.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:33 AM
fullautomike
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Built the best engine cooling system...again

Originally Posted by skypilot_one
Got stuck in stop and go construction traffic last night and was wishing I had these fans!!!
You are going to love them! Since I installed mine in June, the bike has never shut down the rear cylinder at a stop! (ETMS) Motor runs cooler, I'm very happy.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:32 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MarcV125
Not only did he not charge me for the switch but he also sent 2 of them...! I don't think it was a mistake , (Jason if it was i can send one back !) But dealing with him the past few years i highly doubt it was..
Good business is hard to come by nowadays and i just like to give praise for not only a great product, but a person who really stands behind his product.
Thanks again Jason,
Marc
+1, fantastic customer service and a great product that really improves how my bike operates in stop and go traffic. I recommend these fans every chance I get. :-)

Old 08-30-2015, 11:43 AM
kwo51
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 44 Posts

Had mine here in florida from 2012 and looking for a deep water fording kit. Jason's fans work and do not distract from the looks of the motor. I do run the motor hot for the first 20 min. or so to get rid of condensation.

Old 08-30-2015, 07:34 PM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
That may be the case if you have a bike with NO oil cooler whatsover. The Ward's FCS system was all I needed. I did have a 2011 FLHTK that does have a factory oil cooler but I routinely got stuck in traffic and overheated. The Ward's fans took care of my overheating problems completely. I no longer had to pull over EVER to let it cool off. As a matter of fact, when I had to stop, the temps started dropping not increasing. No question the cooler the better but the PROBLEM of overheating was in my case solved with the Ward's FCS. Would they have worked as well if I had no oil cooler? I doubt it, but if you have a standard HD oil cooler I don't think it's necessary to buy an aftermarket oil cooler too.
Mirrors my experience. I added HD's oil cooler to my RK and ETMS still frequently kicked in when I was in stop and go traffic. Added Jason's fans and now it never does.

Old 08-31-2015, 01:55 AM
Bikeagraman
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Udawg
Originally Posted by Twinrider
Mirrors my experience. I added HD's oil cooler to my RK and ETMS still frequently kicked in when I was in stop and go traffic. Added Jason's fans and now it never does.

Udawg and Twinrider: Thanks for your info. I will install the fans first to see how they work and then decide if replacing the stock oil cooler on my '13 SG with the Jagg is needed. Hopefully I get the same results as you with just the fans.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:35 AM
Pix
Road Master
Received 245 Likes on 132 Posts

It also depends if you have a Cat in the head pipes, I feel more hot air blowing on my 11 limited than I had on my 05 Ultra, I need to de-cat the pipes to cool down the hot blown air.

Old 08-31-2015, 09:32 AM
Udawg
HDF Community Team
Received 130 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by Pix
It also depends if you have a Cat in the head pipes, I feel more hot air blowing on my 11 limited than I had on my 05 Ultra, I need to de-cat the pipes to cool down the hot blown air.
I de-catted my 14 SGS yesterday and it definitely helps but a pleasant surprise benefit is the sound. I may even keep the stock mufflers the way they sound now.

Old 09-14-2015, 11:00 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

Just got home last night from a 6 day 1600 mile trip in the northeast section of Calif and high desert of SE Oregon in temps of 94-99* constant, in altitudes of 5000-8000 feet. My motor is a stock 110 with a cat and only cooling addition is the Wards fans. Bike ran flawlessly the entire trip even after fuel stops there was no hot start issues.
I got home from a 310 mile day yesterday nonstop except for 1 gas/food stop, temps started out about 80, hit 100 in the valley, and about 84 when I pulled in my garage. Within 1 minute of shutting the engine down before I pulled the oil plug to drain the oil, I pulled the stick and used my infared temp gun pointing it in the motor oil in the crankcase, 185* . Unfrickinbelievable!
I am also considering the addition of oil cooler fans at some point also.

Quick Reply: Built the best engine cooling system...again