Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to choose windshield height?

Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 AM
BenRK05
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to choose windshield height?

I have a 05 RK custom that I want to take on long trips. I would like to buy a windshield. My question is what height shield I buy? I am 5 10 1/2. I have haritage bars and a backrest on the bike if that makes a difference. Thanks guys, Ben

Old 12-08-2011, 03:00 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

First decision is do you want to look over the windshield or through it?

After you decide that, then probably the easiest thing to do is visit a dealership with a tape measure.

Other than that you will need to sit on the bike in your normal riding position, and go and measure a 3-4 inches over your line of sight or right between your nose and your top lip if you want to look over it.

I'm 5' 11" and during the summer I use an 8" recurve and look over the top of the windshield. During the winter I use a 13 inch and look through it for the most wind protection. (that's on a batwing) I don't remember how tall the shield was on my RK.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 12-08-2011 at 03:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:48 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 126 Posts

It's an easier decision if you've ridden for a while looking over one, or for a while looking through one. I've done both & I prefer looking through mine. I know people who prefer to look over it, so there won't be any right answer here --- just opinions. I DO know 1 thing --- make sure you don't get one where eye level is right at the top of the windshield. It's a real pain to make yourself shorter to look through it, or to make yourself taller so you can look over it!

Old 12-08-2011, 09:36 AM
ceebaileys
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are couple of things that you need to know before purchasing a windshield. 1. your sitting position 2. need to know your torso height 3. do you want to look thru it or over it. If you just want to find out more, just visit our site or call in and talk to a sales. They would be happy to provide all the information that you need before purchase any windshield.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:59 AM
JohnScrip
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

First - I'm a firm "look over" type -- That's just me, but I find it much safer at night and in the rain to avoid the extra layer of glass & glare.

In any case -- I'd hit the dealer, have a seat on a RK and bring a piece of masking tape. Try to figure where you'd want the top of the shield via the piece of tape and measure.

Then go to LongRideShields and grab a "flip-up" in the closest size. http://www.longrideshields.com/road_king_page.html

That flip makes a big difference - especially if you're looking over.

Old 12-08-2011, 12:24 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I prefer to look over also. I ride to work on some foggy mornings and the shield looks like a ping pong ball. I replaced the stock EG shield immediately with the smoked 7" and cut the stock one to 8". I look over by about 2+-" and the wind just grazes the top of my helmet. 5'7" tall since that info would matter

Old 12-08-2011, 12:28 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 28 Posts

I also agree that you should look over the windshield. Avoid the situation where you can't get the top line of the shield out of your view of the road. You should be able to see the road easily in front of your bike where you would naturally look when riding. You'll look through it for close-up stuff only.
It's important to understand how the windshield manufacturer determines size. Almost all of them will have someone to help you figure it out if you call them. Many reliable vendors on this site will help you.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:52 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Coupon Code for Long Ride Shields

Was surfing their site a bit and noticed this coupon code if you end up ordering from them...brings the price down to $80, that's pretty friggin' good in my book:

use this coupon code:
lrsrulesfacebook

Old 12-08-2011, 05:02 PM
medic1555
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to the Long Ride web site and watch the video on how to size a windshield. They also have a good sale going on.

Old 12-08-2011, 05:33 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor
Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Not sure if I linked this video correctly or not, but here it is. Don't let it get too complicated. Sizing is very easy with these flip up style shields. Simply, you want to look over the shield. You want the top of the shield to be at about your mustache area. It doesn't have to be exact, just close.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UXYk...layer_embedded

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: How to choose windshield height?