Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harmon Kardon firmware and amplifier

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2011, 08:46 AM
reserve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harmon Kardon firmware and amplifier

Trying to get clarification. I'm hearing that when you get the new Boom speakers that you don't need an amplifier because the dealer can unlock certain aspects of the HK radio. Is this just a firmware update or does the factory radio have more power on reserve that will blow the factory speakers?

Old 12-12-2011, 09:21 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by reserve
Trying to get clarification. I'm hearing that when you get the new Boom speakers that you don't need an amplifier because the dealer can unlock certain aspects of the HK radio. Is this just a firmware update or does the factory radio have more power on reserve that will blow the factory speakers?

I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you just replace your stock speakers, you don't need to do anything to the radio. The speakers are just better than the stock ones.

If you are adding rear speakers, you need to have the radio flashed at the dealer to turn on the fader for the rears.

Last edited by shooter5074; 12-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old 12-12-2011, 09:55 AM
reserve
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Forgot to update my signature. I have a Road Glide Ultra now. I heard that firmware updates will unlock more potential power. Is that true?

Old 12-12-2011, 10:00 AM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Forgot to update my signature. I have a Road Glide Ultra now. I heard that firmware updates will unlock more potential power. Is that true?
Don't think so.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by shooter5074
I'm not sure what you're asking.

If you just replace your stock speakers, you don't need to do anything to the radio. The speakers are just better than the stock ones.

If you are adding rear speakers, you need to have the radio flashed at the dealer to turn on the fader for the rears.
I added Hogtunes speakers both front and rear. No flash needed for my 09 Ultra Classic.

Old 12-12-2011, 10:14 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,785 Likes on 18,560 Posts

If you do a search on this you may come up with a "correct" answer ... however here's what I learned ... if you install an HD amp ... there is an update for "more bass" on certain model amplifiers. I do know that this does not apply to earlier version amps. 76192-06A is an earler version and it cannot be "download" upgraded for bass. The 76192-06B unit is upgradable if I remember correctly. I believe that these amps can be updated for either 2 channel or 4 channel systems also. The "Boom" amp 76000068 is a later version of the 76192-06B. As for installing the Boom Speaker and Bass Port Speaker Kit I'm quite sure that there is no Bass upgrade available without installing the Boom Amplifier. Here is a link to the Harmon Kardon HD site that will help you with HK updates for your software for your radio. I hope this helps. Good Luck.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...io-system.html

Old 12-12-2011, 11:07 AM
Terrabella
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You can find the latest firmware update at the link listed below. Don't know if you have done this yet but it may have some bearing on your issues you are seeking. Just a thought.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...io-system.html

Old 12-12-2011, 02:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Since you have an Ultra RG, the dealer download to activate the fader control that would be done on an OEM two-speaker system isn't done.

If you add the current Boom amp, there is a download to change the equalization in the AMP, not the HK head unit.

Also, there is a download used if you add the HD saddlebag speakers for the HK head unit. What the download does is open to question--whether it changes the head unit's sound, or simply adds a four-speaker/fader control is open to question.

Bottom line, there is no information that there is any download to change the HK head unit on an RG or EG Ultra absent the addition of an HK amp (which doesn't change the HK head unit, only the amp). And the HK saddlebag lid speaker addition isn't offered for OEM four-speaker set-ups like that of the Ultras; and, whether the download used for the saddlebag speaker kit is useful for an Ultra (front and tour pak speakers) is unknown.

Carl