Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With a Cam for a TC88

Old 12-12-2011, 04:45 PM
Cray2751
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With a Cam for a TC88

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and was wondering if you could help me out with a question. Im looking at putting in the new SE Hydraulic Cam Upgrade and while I am in thinking about upgrading my cams. The local stealer is pushing 211's but from everything that I am reading the 204's or Andrews 21 or 26 would be better. All the data I have says that the 211's will be better in the long haul if I go 95, which I want to do but can't afford right now. I would like to stay HD if possible because I have some points, gift cards, and such that will ease the hurt.

The bike is a stock 05 Electra Glide Classic that I bought used. Stage 1 kit, pipes from unknown manufacturer, and Power Commander. I know the cams won't do much but I'm just curious to what you guys say.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:23 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

204's - 211's - or Andrews 21's - 26's are all great for your 88. Just think about the RPM range you ride in the most.<-_->

Old 12-12-2011, 05:36 PM
Bachus
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Wnt with

Andrews 21's in my 02 FLHPI.

Think that the 26's would have been better, as I also went with big valve heads.

Cam will do more than you think to wake up the old 88.

Don't go radical with the cam, any good upgrade will be quite noticable inprovement.

Dan B.
Central Ks.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:37 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Cray: You need to provide one key component that will help you in your decision, and help those that are willing to offer their opinions. That key component is stating what it is your looking for. Do you want bottom end grunt, do you want it kicking in and performing at it's optimum in the mid range, or do you want a high end cam? Without that information, all you'll get is a lot of opinions that may or may not be useful to you.

I wanted a cam that performed at its optimum in the mid range. I am not into seeing who can hit 60 mph the fastest off the line while riding with my buddies. I also felt that my bike gave me all I needed for low end torque off the line. I felt though that it lacked in "passing power" while cruising in 5th gear at 60-65 mph. Thus, I chose the SE211. It was perfect for me, and I in fact did get some extra low end grunt out of it that was unexpected. It's not as sexy as a lot of cams out there, and there are many to choose from, but it was a mild mod that gave me a lot of bang for my buck. My point is that I first narrowed my search down that fell within the range of what my desired result was. Then I made my choice based on a number of other factors.

Decide what range you want to see most affected by your mod, and then ask questions and do research on the net. Guys here will help, and the more educated you get yourself the better they'll be able to help you. There's a number of websites that give a very compresnsive breakdown of cams and their specs. With a little reading, you'll quickly understand how each cam will effect the performance of your bike as it currently sits based on what you're looking for.

Old 12-12-2011, 05:39 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by Bachus
Andrews 21's in my 02 FLHPI.

Think that the 26's would have been better, as I also went with big valve heads.

Cam will do more than you think to wake up the old 88.

Don't go radical with the cam, any good upgrade will be quite noticable inprovement.

Dan B.
Central Ks.
Agree completely.

Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 PM
coolerman69
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the SE203s in my 06 88ci. I ride two up most of the time and found the 203s to be a huge difference over stock 82hp and 94tq. thats 16more hp and 21 more tq than stock. Details in sig. 85tq at 2500rpm. Cams alone made 7hp and 11 tq on my bike.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:01 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,534 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Had the 203's ( they were good!) and when they were worn out, chose the 26's. Wonderful cam for the 95" 9.5 to 1 motor!

If you choose the 26's, go with 95" pistons and have your cylinders bored to match them.

Old 12-12-2011, 07:30 PM
Cray2751
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Cray: You need to provide one key component that will help you in your decision, and help those that are willing to offer their opinions. That key component is stating what it is your looking for. Do you want bottom end grunt, do you want it kicking in and performing at it's optimum in the mid range, or do you want a high end cam? Without that information, all you'll get is a lot of opinions that may or may not be useful to you.

I wanted a cam that performed at its optimum in the mid range. I am not into seeing who can hit 60 mph the fastest off the line while riding with my buddies. I also felt that my bike gave me all I needed for low end torque off the line. I felt though that it lacked in "passing power" while cruising in 5th gear at 60-65 mph. Thus, I chose the SE211. It was perfect for me, and I in fact did get some extra low end grunt out of it that was unexpected. It's not as sexy as a lot of cams out there, and there are many to choose from, but it was a mild mod that gave me a lot of bang for my buck. My point is that I first narrowed my search down that fell within the range of what my desired result was. Then I made my choice based on a number of other factors.

Decide what range you want to see most affected by your mod, and then ask questions and do research on the net. Guys here will help, and the more educated you get yourself the better they'll be able to help you. There's a number of websites that give a very compresnsive breakdown of cams and their specs. With a little reading, you'll quickly understand how each cam will effect the performance of your bike as it currently sits based on what you're looking for.
Thats the thing... I don't know. I'm young but drive like a grandpa. Yeah I like to get on it now and again taking off around town but I don't run over 80 on the interstate. Mostly around town and back roads. I would like to twist on the throttle on the interstate and pass up cars but the stock cam does good enough right now. My wife rides with me half the time and we are just cruising enjoying the day.

Old 12-13-2011, 10:52 AM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by Cray2751
Thats the thing... I don't know. I'm young but drive like a grandpa. Yeah I like to get on it now and again taking off around town but I don't run over 80 on the interstate. Mostly around town and back roads. I would like to twist on the throttle on the interstate and pass up cars but the stock cam does good enough right now. My wife rides with me half the time and we are just cruising enjoying the day.
Cray: It sounds to me like a cam isn't really a need in that case. If it's more of a want, and I can certainly identify with that, I think I might take a hard look at the cams that perform best in the low end range. That way when you have mama on the pillion, and you need to whack the throttle to take off or to get out of a tight spot, it'll do just that for you. A cam that works best in that range will do well up into the low end of the mid range also, before you experience non-reciprocity. When you ride solo, you'll be amazed at the difference.

You mentioned that you prefer to stay with Harley parts due to the fact that you have points that you'd like to use. If that's the case, the SE203 and SE204 cams work very well with a 88TC. They're mild (the advantage of which can't be overstated) but will give you an appreciable difference in the feel of your bike. I am sure that others might chime in with greater experience than I can offer, and those too will be worhty of consideration.

Good luck to you. I'd love to hear later what you chose and of the difference it made in your ride.

Last edited by gipper; 12-13-2011 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-13-2011, 11:04 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

I can't say enough good things about my Andrew's 21 cam. I have no intentions to go to a 95" motor so this cam works great. Pull like a locomotive down low were I wanted it. And it doesn't fall off as fast as some will make you believe. Great power in the RPM range that I ride in. My bike with this cam easily keeps up (or beats) with all my friends stage 1 96" bikes until about 65 or 70 mph. I didn't buy it as a race cam. Rode the mountains with it last summer an it gave me great power with all the climbs. Greatly reduces the amount of downshifting required compared to stock.

So if you are looking for good power for all of your everyday riding I recommend the 21.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Help With a Cam for a TC88