Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 FLHR cams/bearings question

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 10:58 AM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts
Question 2003 FLHR cams/bearings question

Greetings! I'm seeking the wisdom of the masses here...

I have this "new to me" 2003 FLHRCI. 36K miles on it now. Stage 1 A/C, download, and slip-ons installed at time of purchase in 2002. The cam shoes were replaced and adjustable push rods installed just before I bought it. As well, the front motor mount was replaced at the same time at about 33K mi. Other than that, according to the dealer that originally sold it, and their service records, it was all about oil changes, scheduled service, and tires.

My concern is the bottom end. From what I read here, and a couple buddies with 2003 88TC motors, the cam bearings are a ticking time bomb. So, I have a BUNCH of questions around this. Let's assume I want to keep this bike forever, and ride it about 12K mi/year.
  • Should I just wait until the bearings fail to do anything?
  • What symptoms/warning, if any would I get before such a failure? (not really my style - I'm a real "preventative maintenance guy)
  • Should I consider getting the hydraulic cam tensioner kit and install it now before anything happens, and replace the bearings at the same time?
  • Should I just replace the bearings?
  • What bearings should I be looking at sticking in there?
  • If I go ahead and do the lifter upgrade, should I do a mild cam at the same time? The bike runs fine, but...... you know, "upgrade opportunity"
  • I' thinking that replacing with gear driven cams might not be feasible, given the motor's age - is this a good assumption?
  • Should I just run it until it grenades, then do an HD reman, and get it all taken care of then?
  • Am I worrying for nothing?

One last one, probably unrelated to the cam bearing thing - I have this high pitched "tick" at ide, especially when cold. Changed the slip-ons, same deal. Dealer tech says, "normal - half of the bikes that come in here sound like that", I say BS. It's coming from the rear, and it's not a heat shield sound. Any ideas?

Last edited by TurkeyRun; 12-16-2011 at 12:04 PM. Reason: 3rd bullet, "lifter" should have been "tensioner"
Old 12-16-2011, 11:08 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Here is my $0.02

Here is what I did this past spring on my '99 TC88 and am way more than happy.

- Installed HD SE hydraulic tensioner kit with new bearings and oil pump.
- New adjustble lifters
- Took the opportunity to drop in an Andrews TW21 cam - this cam is the best upgrade I have made to my bike. Adds gobbs of power right in the power band were we drive on an everyday basis. Not a racing cam, but it doesn't drop off like some people claim, plenty of higher RPM power. I now beat my buddies with their stage 1 96" motors. And wow, does it pull in the mountains, hills and for 2-up riding. Can't say enough good things about this cam. All done at my indy for $1,500 including all parts.

Don't wait for bearings to fail. Get it done and have peace of mind so you can just ride!

Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Having adjustable pushrods already, will save shop time. Replace inner cam bearings with the SE or similar upgrade, and replace original lifters with new stock units since you're already in there. Bike will be ready to go a long time.

Last edited by Harleyboyddk; 12-16-2011 at 11:46 AM.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:02 PM
Big Trev
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Should I consider getting the hydraulic cam lifter kit and install it now before anything happens, and replace the bearings at the same time?

Don't wait, just do the above, and you're sorted.
I've not seen broken bearings but have seen tensioner wear to the point there's no friction material left, the result was low oil pressure due to the friction material buggering up the oil pump.

Old 12-16-2011, 12:13 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pumba11
Here is my $0.02

Here is what I did this past spring on my '99 TC88 and am way more than happy.

- Installed HD SE hydraulic tensioner kit with new bearings and oil pump.
- New adjustble lifters
- Took the opportunity to drop in an Andrews TW21 cam - this cam is the best upgrade I have made to my bike. Adds gobbs of power right in the power band were we drive on an everyday basis. Not a racing cam, but it doesn't drop off like some people claim, plenty of higher RPM power. I now beat my buddies with their stage 1 96" motors. And wow, does it pull in the mountains, hills and for 2-up riding. Can't say enough good things about this cam. All done at my indy for $1,500 including all parts.

Don't wait for bearings to fail. Get it done and have peace of mind so you can just ride!
I'm likin' this....

I have a bunch of "Chrome Cash" credits laying around, I'm thinking get the parts for (almost) free, and take 'em to the indy down the road......

Old 12-16-2011, 12:32 PM
clap
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The 99 year model was the engine with the cam bearing troubles. If I were you I would just replace the cam bearings. You can buy a better bearing from Georges Garage , I think a pair of them are about $15. 00.Since you already have the adj. pushrods it would be a simple job.And if you have the money I would think about installing the HD hydro tensioner kit. Then you can keep the bike forever because as it is now you won't get anything for it in a trade in or outright sale. I have an 02 I did the HD upgrade with the bearings from George's garage and I am keeping mine forever because no way am I going to give it away at the prices they are going for.I bought a bearing tool to remove and install and did mine myself. I think we have a better bike anyway , no throttle by wire , no cat ect. I can't see where the new frame would make that much difference, just my .02 Good Luck Don't get the HD SE bearings , they are made by INA and they are junk. The ones George has are Torrington B 148, they are the best. The INA bearings rollers are spaced out and the Torrington rollers are right next to each other.
www.georges-garage.com
Dave C

Last edited by clap; 12-16-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:15 PM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

What Clap said, but since you are already in there and have the chrome cash, drop in some cams. You will love the improved performance.

Old 12-16-2011, 06:54 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Pumba11
What Clap said, but since you are already in there and have the chrome cash, drop in some cams. You will love the improved performance.
Yup - I think that's what I'm gonna do. Hydraulic adjuster w/oil pump, them Torrington bearings from George's Garage, new stock lifters, and the TW21 cams.

That sound about right?

Am I gonna need a tuner with a mild cam like that? Currently, all it has is the Stage 1 map.

Last edited by TurkeyRun; 12-16-2011 at 07:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-16-2011, 07:17 PM
TurkeyRun
Road Warrior

And if you have the money I would think about installing the HD hydro tensioner kit.
"Chrome Cash" - almost like money.

Ordered the bearings from Georges - thanks Clap!

Old 12-16-2011, 07:52 PM
pappy42
Cruiser

Received 88 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by TurkeyRun
Yup - I think that's what I'm gonna do. Hydraulic adjuster w/oil pump, them Torrington bearings from George's Garage, new stock lifters, and the TW21 cams.

That sound about right?

Am I gonna need a tuner with a mild cam like that? Currently, all it has is the Stage 1 map.
I think that you will love the 21's; I do.

When I switched to the 21's with the hydraulic conversion, I already had Rinehardt true duals, SE A/C and stage one map. I went with the Power Commander III USB from Fuel Moto. I told then my combination and they put a map into it. It's perfect for my bike.

If you get the Fuel Moto version; it's cheaper.

Quick Reply: 2003 FLHR cams/bearings question