Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car Tire on my Electra Glide

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:54 AM
!88!88
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Tire on my Electra Glide

I have a 2006 Electra Glide and was thinking about putting a car tire on the rear. A friend told me that a car tire would not fit, is this true?

Old 12-20-2011, 11:58 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Have you done the dark side tire before....

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Rustell
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes you can...doesn't mean you should.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:09 PM
!88!88
4th Gear

No i have not done this before... Was gonna try something new. I was then told that a car tire would be to wide and would not fit.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:14 PM
garyFLHPI
Cruiser

Try Austin taxi tire at Universal tire. You can find the thread with pictures about this CT on this forum. I am thinking about the same thing.

Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by !88!88
No i have not done this before... Was gonna try something new. I was then told that a car tire would be to wide and would not fit.
Alright then...I have, on a metric bike and this is my recommendation....google search Darkside database/darkside tires/car tire on a motorcycle. There are Darkside Forums also. You should be able to find what your looking for there. If you post a question like that in a non Darkside forum your going to get barbequed so be forewarned and its going to get kinda nasty....good luck....feel free to PM if I can help you in any way.

Old 12-20-2011, 01:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

you can do it.

ask yourself what happens in an accident and they refuse to pay out a claim because of your non DOT modification- even if the other guy hit you ?

I have a story like that, my wife hit a guy in a 4runner which had been raised with a bunch of "off road only" suspension parts.
Instead of hitting his bumper, the volvo went underneath, and the car hit the suspension--- and started him rolling down the highway.
he was ok, truck was totalled.
he was paid zero for his truck and had to cover that damages to the volvo beyond what the accident investigators though it should have been- a dent in the bumper.

If you need to save some money on your bike, throw away the chrome doodad catalogs

while a car tire may have been a good choice in the 70's, bike tires really are purpose built for best handling, cornering and wear. The recent bikes have a dunlop with a hard center section for mileage and grippy outers for corners

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-20-2011 at 01:47 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 01:41 PM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,828 Likes on 8,403 Posts

A car tire isn't going to change the height of your bike, i.e. standard bumper height. You're going hear the most nay saying out of people who haven't actually done it themselves. Some may have seen a car tire on a bike as their justification for knowledge, but still, it doesn't equate to actually owning one or riding one for a while to get familiar with it.
Unless you are into the high speed, drag your knees through the twisties, a car tire shouldn't be a problem.
Been there, done it with a rigid frame, worked fine.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:24 PM
hopperop
Banned

The OP did not ask if he should, he wants to know if a tire will fit. In other words nobody asked your opinion so keep it to yourself.

OP, yes you can find a CT that will fit. Right the only one I know about is the taxi tire.

Old 12-20-2011, 02:30 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by hopperop
The OP did not ask if he should, he wants to know if a tire will fit. In other words nobody asked your opinion so keep it to yourself.
Good luck with that. Kind of like the weekly pissing match over single side rotor setups.

Quick Reply: Car Tire on my Electra Glide