Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vibration due to new motor mounts

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 10:39 PM
bigbore
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration due to new motor mounts

Took my 2002 Road King classic in for the 35K service. The dealer called to say I needed a new motor mount. Picked the bike up and road it home. It now vibrates very badly. The dealer said that the new motor mount is a lot stiffer than the old ones. I mean it vibrates so badly that noise is coming from the pipes shaking. Took it back to the dealer. They said everything was in the tolerances, but with a new motor mount it should vibrate a little. A little vibration would be ok. I have a lot of vibration, which is not ok. Any idea?

Old 12-22-2011, 11:00 PM
JJHOG
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Take it back to the Dealership and tell the Service Manager to take it out for a ride and then let him tell you that it's normal. If he does then tell him his work is supposed to be under warranty, you're not satisfied and you want it redone. If he refuses then file a complaint with MOCO and take your bike to another Dealer. Mention to that Service Manager that your bike motor has developed a vibration and you'd like him to check it out. Don't mention that you just got a new motor mount. When he returns from the test ride see what he says about the vibration. If he tells you that it need a new motor mount ask him to write up a Work Order Quote and tell him you'll be back. Call MOCO and speak with Customer Service, explain the situation and what the first dealer told you and then what the second dealer told you and ask MOCO for advice on what to do.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:15 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Did they just replace the front mount? If so, you can try loosening the mounting bolts (just enough to free up the mount), start the engine and let it run for a minute or two, and then retighten the mount.

What this will do is allow the mount to "settle in" to a natural position and possibly eliminate any existing preload on the mount, which could transmit vibration.

EDIT: Or do something like JJHOG recommended LOL. I guess my advice was more for the DIY types. If you took the bike in for a basic service, I guess you don't fit into that category.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-22-2011 at 11:19 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:12 AM
hatchetman
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Keep your eyes on your primary. It's going to develop cracks if you go too far.
Bring it back & have the mechanic go for a 10 mile run with it.
Hatch.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:40 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

New OEM motor mounts translate more vibration, don't matter who installs them or what tricks you use. Scrap the OEm replacement mount and get a Glide-Pro or Sta-Bo urethane front motor mount, no better mounts out there, period. Ask StiggyNot sure how the primary will develop cracks since the entire driveline is firmly fastened together and it all moves together.

read this https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...vibration.html

Old 12-23-2011, 08:45 AM
eathomps
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
New OEM motor mounts translate more vibration, don't matter who installs them or what tricks you use. Scrap the OEm replacement mount and get a Glide-Pro or Sta-Bo urethane front motor mount, no better mounts out there, period. Ask StiggyNot sure how the primary will develop cracks since the entire driveline is firmly fastened together and it all moves together.
A new mount will vibrate more than the old, but not as bad as the OP is compaining about, and they are certainly no stiffer than urethane. I replaced mine this past fall and the vibration isn't really much different. Something isn't right with the work done.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:05 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by eathomps
A new mount will vibrate more than the old, but not as bad as the OP is compaining about, and they are certainly no stiffer than urethane. I replaced mine this past fall and the vibration isn't really much different. Something isn't right with the work done.
Really, I forget, tell me again what the OP's vibrometer reading was that places it outside the normal range. Yeah, the thing about troubleshooting over the internet is too much is lost in translation, from perception to interpretation. You've obviously never had one of the urethane mounts, that I mentioned, in your hand, because they are definately not as stiff as OEM mounts. When you pick up a bunch of vibration after a front motor mount install, it's probably the mount. You are free to think what you want, I have used both types of mounts and the two I mentioned are far superior to OEM, just a fact, not debatable. 2black1s suggestion is the best technique for aligning the new mount, but it will only slightly reduce the vibes.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:18 AM
garand
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Really, I forget, tell me again what the OP's vibrometer reading was that places it outside the normal range. Yeah, the thing about troubleshooting over the internet is too much is lost in translation, from perception to interpretation. You've obviously never had one of the urethane mounts, that I mentioned, in your hand, because they are definately not as stiff as OEM mounts. When you pick up a bunch of vibration after a front motor mount install, it's probably the mount. You are free to think what you want, I have used both types of mounts and the two I mentioned are far superior to OEM, just a fact, not debatable. 2black1s suggestion is the best technique for aligning the new mount, but it will only slightly reduce the vibes.
You beat me to it. That was basically the same thing I was thinking.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:46 AM
ddm502001
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Not trying to scare anyone but the two times I have heard this occur the engines had scissored crankshafts, this is not even funny to consider but I thought it would be a idea to inspect, they can find it with crank end shaft runout. Two of my riding buds had this happen, one a 1999 88CI RK stepped up to 95CI, the other a 2009 96CI stock Ultra so it is not a year specific or a CI specific. The repair shop stated it had to do with high loads(both guys are my size, very large) and lugging, both had done long trips with loads of hills and causes for lugging.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:57 AM
AZdryheat
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ddm502001
Not trying to scare anyone but the two times I have heard this occur the engines had scissored crankshafts, this is not even funny to consider but I thought it would be a idea to inspect, they can find it with crank end shaft runout. Two of my riding buds had this happen, one a 1999 88CI RK stepped up to 95CI, the other a 2009 96CI stock Ultra so it is not a year specific or a CI specific. The repair shop stated it had to do with high loads(both guys are my size, very large) and lugging, both had done long trips with loads of hills and causes for lugging.
So you're saying you have to baby a Harley because, if you push it, the crankshaft will fall apart?

Quick Reply: Vibration due to new motor mounts