Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wolo Air Horn

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 04:48 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

Da Shadow - Da Wolo will not fit in Da Cowbell; but they can come apart, like mentioned you can use fuel hose and put Da Trumpets in Da CowBell and stash Da Compressor elsewhere.

Old 12-24-2011, 05:35 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 378 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by Newharleylover
Unless I've had my head up my butt I've never seen a thread on air horns yet until now. I've been thinking of getting one for a while but I'm unsure of exactly how loud they are. I can't count the number of times I've had to pile up on the binders or swerve aggressively cuz of the stupid moves others make. I leave tons of room between me and everyone else and I've still had to use my horn a lot and being that it's a stock horn I think if someone is listening to tunes even at a moderate level they wouldn't be able to hear me. So I totally agree on the importance of this safety upgrade.
Many threads on air horns...
I consider an air horn to be an important safetey upgrade. Put on my last bike, put one on this bike 3 months after I started riding it. Right up there with my BAL-1 as far as safety mods go...

Attached Thumbnails Wolo Air Horn-horn1.jpg  
Old 12-24-2011, 06:00 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Da Shadow
Can you get the wolo under the stock cowbell cover?
If you take the horn apart from the compressor, you can put the horn inside the cowbell and the compressor in the left or right side compartment. I put mine next to the fuse box. It fit perfect. PM me if you need anymore help.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:14 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've upgraded ever car's horn I ever had with a Stebel Nautilus. I have a mini-beast II waiting to go on my bike, but haven't had the time yet.

good idea to wear ear plugs if you're going to do this upgrade - your ear is awfully close to the horn and unlike in a car there's nothing between you and the horn.

If their SPL claims are accurate (139 dB @ 1ft.) you could be exposing yourself to over 128 dB while you're on the bike.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:15 PM
TheGrandPoohBah
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,524 Likes on 1,421 Posts

I would suggest you listen to what they sound like before you install them,or maybe before purchase if possible. I have heard some sound like a clown horn, or worse. Youtube has a few for samples. The Rivco has dual sounds, others may too, just my .02

Old 12-24-2011, 07:16 PM
blarg
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheGrandPoohBah
I would suggest you listen to what they sound like before you install them,or maybe before purchase if possible. I have heard some sound like a clown horn, or worse. Youtube has a few for samples. The Rivco has dual sounds, others may too, just my .02
the Stobel Nautilus sounds like a 70's or 80's Ferarri horn. I read somewhere that they actually OEM'd the horns. I think Bentley also uses them.

Last edited by blarg; 12-24-2011 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:38 PM
FBFletch
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyCharles24
Asking a DUMB DUMB question here...but....How do you add a Relay? Do you have any step by step pictures for a dumb dumb like me? I CAN do it, but don't know HOW to do it.
I just finished my horn relocation today. I'm going to do a complete write-up on it after I finish relocating my coil but I'll describe here how to add the relay.

Where you actually locate the relay is up to you. You can put it under the seat behind the fuse block or you can locate it beside the fuse block. Basically put it any place you can find enough room.

For me, I bought the Wolo Bad Boy horn and I located the horn behind the rear fender panel below the transmission. The picture below shows the horn, mounting bracket I fabricated, and relay. I actually found two 1/4" threaded holes in a panel below the fuse block. I used one of those holes to attach my horn mounting bracket to. I attached the relay to the top mounting bracket bolt. I had to orient it horizontally to make it work. And, I had to enlarge the hole in the relay mounting tab slightly for the 1/4" bolt. In the picture the fender panel is still removed. I still need to tie wrap some of the wires together and re-install the panel.

As far as hooking up the relay, as someone pointed out the horn instructions with tell you basically how to hook it up but it's not really detailed enough for someone who doesn't do a lot of wiring IMHO.

There are a lot of different ways you can wire it up but here's what I did. I ran a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to Terminal 30 on the relay. Then I ran two wires from one of the grounding points under the seat - one to the negative terminal on the horn and the other to Terminal 86 on the relay. Then I ran a wire from Terminal 87 on the relay to the positive terminal on the horn. Finally, the original wire that provided power to the factory horn will now provide power to energize the relay and activate the horn. Due to the relocation of my horn and relay, I had to cut the terminal off the original horn power wire and use a butt spice connector and additional wire to extend it to the new relay location. That wire connects to terminal 85 on the relay. Actually, it doesn't matter if you reverse the connections at terminal 85 and 86 on the relay as long as one is a ground and the other is power coming from the original horn lead (which actually comes from the horn switch).

You can actually get away with running one ground wire either to the negative terminal on the horn and then jumper from that terminal to Terminal 86 on the relay or vice-versa. If you're using the original horn location you can simply use the existing horn ground wire and a jumper as described above.

I know this may sound a little confusing. I'll have a complete write-up with pictures in a few days. If you have any questions in the mean time, just PM me.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:30 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyCharles24
Asking a DUMB DUMB question here...but....How do you add a Relay? Do you have any step by step pictures for a dumb dumb like me? I CAN do it, but don't know HOW to do it.
A relay is simply a remote switch. In a horn application, you use the existing horn wiring to operate the relay, and run a separate, fused wire from the battery to power the horn. It's not as complicated as it sounds.