Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Think my PCV has my bike running rich.. Smell a lot of fuel. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 12:04 AM
kyleplusitunes
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think my PCV has my bike running rich.. Smell a lot of fuel. Help?

Got a map from Jamie at fuel moto, feel like its a bit too rich, I can smell a lot of fuel at the exhaust.

How do I turn down fuel values in the PCV program and... How do I know when it's not too lean and when it's not too rich?

How much should I start turning down the values in PCV?

Thanks!

Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

rather than guess, I'd ask Fuel moto- see if maybe the map they gave you is for another configuration.

1.) consider that "winter blend fuel" ( which varies by State and Region) may smell different.

2.) bike needs to be fully warmed to run proper mixture ( all the motor parts expending to proper tolerances)- and if you have a cat it needs heat to work

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 12-24-2011 at 01:33 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:48 AM
rkramchuck
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

run a search on pcv fuel values theres a lot of threads on the subject,member on here by the name iclick is a guru on the subject

Old 12-24-2011, 01:32 AM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

The PCV and the map you got from FuelMoto has your bike running richer than stock, therefore some smell of the exhaust is perfectly normal. But trying to diagnose what you're smelling over the internet is impossible.

As for adjusting the fuel tables, it is done on your computer with the PCV software. I think the instructions that came with your PCV explain how it's done and I also believe that the software itself has some tutorials in it.

But a word of caution... Unless you have some way of measuring the result of the changes you make, you're gonna be shooting in the dark. You'll have no way of knowing how rich or how lean you really are.

The AutoTune option is a good way to go. With the AutoTune you have the ability to see the results of any fuel table adjustments that you make by looking at subsequent trim values.

If I were you, I'd talk to the guys at FuelMoto before "blindly" altering your map. But if you just can't wait and you want to try some changes, look at the values in the current map. If you reduced each of them by 50% you'll end up with an AFR approximately halfway between your stock tune and whatever you're at currently. Example: If you have a +16 in a given field, changing it to 8 would reduce the added fuel at that point by 50%. If you made every field zero, you'd be right back to the stock tune.

Last edited by 2black1s; 12-24-2011 at 01:46 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 07:50 AM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Here's the best answer you'll get:

GET A DYNO TUNE FROM A GOOD DYNO OPERATOR.

Old 12-24-2011, 11:37 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Good luck getting the right map for that thing, just have fuel moto send you another one for Christmas.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:14 PM
Damascus
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have Fuel Moto's Power Package on my 09 RK - PCV, SuperTrapp slip-on's, air cleaner - and I think it's probably a little rich too, but for me, that was the point.

Having come from the world of sport bikes, I really wasn't interested in trying to relive huge HP & torque stuff - I just wanted to cool the stock configuration off some, and that's exactly what a slightly rich map helps to do.

I too thought about tinkering with the PCV for a while but then decided to leave well enough alone.

Old 12-24-2011, 12:27 PM
rg_dave
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Call Fuel Moto. They'll answer your questions. Ride it. It won't hurt anything. I wouldn't jack with the fuel tables unless you know what you're doing.

Old 12-24-2011, 01:22 PM
Bigwillie
Road Master
Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

i would call them too. but if you post your exact set up,year ,pipes ,intake ,and can find a guy with the same set up with a pc 5 the map will be the same !

Old 12-24-2011, 03:17 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Wait and call Jamie.He will probably ask you to send him a copy of the MAP he sent and then he can tweek it a little. In general though his MAPS will have you running a little on the rich side and Id rather have it that way.

Quick Reply: Think my PCV has my bike running rich.. Smell a lot of fuel. Help?