Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Rear suspension opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 08:56 AM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
Don't go cheap , you will regret it , I've ridden Harley's for 30+ years and never upgraded the suspension , I accepted the ride as the way it just was , on my last bike I won a set of Progressives 940s so I installed them and the monotubes up front , what a world of difference , had I known how it changed my bike I would have upgraded all my previous bikes , on my 2011 I now knew suspension was on my must do list so I went with Ohlins #3-#3 to see how they were and was amazed at how much better they were than the Progressives , I will never own a bike again without the Ohlins upgrade , if you enjoy riding you will love a great suspension
Yes Sir, Ohlins are the only way to truly "Glide".

Old 12-29-2011, 12:04 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
Yes you can! You started this thread by asking for suggestions to improve your ride. I spent a lot of time on HDF reading through the many threads on shocks. What I observed is that a lot of members start looking for a cheap improvement, spend a lot of money buying several different sets of shocks, then eventually buy Ohlins. I took a short cut and bought them straight-away. You can do the same!

When you ride your bike with a set of custom-built Ohlins you will join the rest of the fans of that brand. Save yourself a lot of time and effort, get on the phone and talk to Howard at HDF sponsor Motorcycle Metal. It will be the first day of the rest of your life!
I didn't start the thread. I also never said that I couldn't afford them, I said that I couldn't justify the added expense of a higher end shock, and I alone make that determination. It's true, that I may have been able to justify it had I the luxury of ridden atop a set before I made my decision, but I didn't. Even at that, I would have run a cost/benefit analysis.

The fan base for Ohlin's is irrefutable, but I'm consoled by the knowledge that what's "state of the art" today, is not so tomorrow; and by the fact that my choice, while not the pinnacle of shocks, will be much better than the stock shocks I rode on for 17K miles.

To the OP....carry on. Sorry if this diverts your thread.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:13 PM
onedae
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

another option worth considering is the Harley hand adjustable premium suspension. You can get them for a bit over $400 at one of the on line discount dealers. They come in both 13" and 12" lengths and are dramatically better than the stock shocks. I have the 13" length shocks on my Streetglide and I think they work great.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:16 PM
boom23
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought a set of stock 13" Harley shocks for under $100 and changed the oil to a little heavier (there are a lots of posts about this). You cannot imagine the ride difference! And I still have the stock air adjustability.

I used to have a set of 440 (with the softer springs) and I did not like them. My bike rode like a brick and it would bottom out very often with just me on the bike. I tried to adjust them but I got tired messing with them and sold them. I prefer the simplicity of the stock shocks.

Last edited by boom23; 12-29-2011 at 02:21 PM.