Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

iPod Interface and Saddlebag Mount Kit

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 03:26 PM
Tin Man 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iPod Interface and Saddlebag Mount Kit

Has anyone installed the HDPDPLUS iPod Interface Kit and the Harley Saddlebag iPod Mount Kit? If so, how did you run the cable to the iPod/iPhone? I was hoping to be able to take the saddlebag off if needed. Not sure how to accomplish that. And looks like the hole required in the saddlebag is fairly large. I'm concerned about sealing it or water getting in and if I seal it how can I remove the saddlebag in the future. If you have done this I would like to see some pictures also.

Thanks

Old 12-28-2011, 03:34 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

I haven't figured out where I'm going to mount the iPod yet.... but you could use something like this (picture is not of a saddlebag, it's a car firewall.... just an illustration of a plug)

You just need a rubber plug (grommet) that would allow the cable to be removed from the bag. I imagine most car dealer parts departments would have the plugs. They can be found in the engine compartment on the firewall for wires and cables to go through.

I have a Road Glide, so I have several choices as to where to mount the iPod. Glove box, or lowers come to mind.

Last edited by shooter5074; 12-28-2011 at 03:40 PM.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed it on my bike, and remove my saddle bags to clean mine about a third of the time I clean the bike. The plug to join the two cords can be located right at the shock area or somewhere in that vicinity.

The hole is not terribly large, and it has a grommet to protect the cord, so you could silicone the hole if you choose to, but I have never had a problem for over a year and a half.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:51 PM
Tin Man 1
Cruiser

There is no gromment in my iPod interface. There is one in the saddlebag mount kit but the 2 cables are not designed to plug into each other. I guess it would if I had the Harley iPod interface.

Old 12-28-2011, 03:53 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
I installed it on my bike, and remove my saddle bags to clean mine about a third of the time I clean the bike. The plug to join the two cords can be located right at the shock area or somewhere in that vicinity.

The hole is not terribly large, and it has a grommet to protect the cord, so you could silicone the hole if you choose to, but I have never had a problem for over a year and a half.
That's the HD ipPod Boom interface. The HDPDPLUS has a long one piece cable. http://ironcrossaudio.com/hdpdplus-ipodinterface.html

Old 12-28-2011, 03:58 PM
Tin Man 1
Cruiser

Right. I just hate to put that large of a hole in my saddlebag. I may just try to put it in my tour pak. In that case I will have a brand new HD saddlebag mount kit for sale. :-)

Old 12-28-2011, 05:29 PM
Moneywoes
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rick,
Are you having problems with the IPOD interface? I still have your $$ in the cabinet if it doesn't work and we need to meet.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ml#post8956410

Heres a link to an earlier thread with pic of how someone installed a gromet in the saddle bag. It sounds like your trying to stay away from this approach though.

Ken

Last edited by Moneywoes; 12-28-2011 at 05:44 PM.